Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Crown Larks - interesting, young psych / progressive band on tour

My vinyl just arrived. Now playing. A great record. Waiting to be discovered.

Holy cow! Crown Larks have gone totally Tago Mago-era Can with this release. The debut is still in a box from my recent move so I can't compare but I don't recall it being so Can influenced. On Population, the singer has been taking voice lessons from Damo Suzuki for sure. The tribal Jaki drumming, the snaky Karoli guitar leads, it is all here.

In sum it is derivative, but of you like the sound it's great. And, if they can get millennials excited about the Can sound, more power to 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Holy cow! Crown Larks have gone totally Tago Mago-era Can with this release. The debut is still in a box from my recent move so I can't compare but I don't recall it being so Can influenced. On Population, the singer has been taking voice lessons from Damo Suzuki for sure. The tribal Jaki drumming, the snaky Karoli guitar leads, it is all here.

In sum it is derivative, but of you like the sound it's great. And, if they can get millennials excited about the Can sound, more power to 'em!
    Good call, but I wouldn't go so far as calling it Can derivative. There's a lot more going on in Population in my opinion, and the blend of influences is broader. But yes, correct, particularly for the vocals.

God, I love this record.