Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbirds Are Go new TV show

Thunderbirds Are Go new TV show

The first two episodes of this aired on UK TV last night.

I grew up on the show as a kid, and still like it, even collect memorabilia from the show to this day.

The new version is partly made by Weta, who did the effects for the LOTR and King Kong movie. The craft and characters are CGI, but backgrounds and sets are live miniatures.

First impression is better than expected.

But lets be honest, this show is not meant for me or people who grew up with the show. It's aimed at todays kids. Remember that we were kids when we watched it.

There is no point in the 'Oh my god they have changed this and that' comments. What, you didn't expect some changes? They were never going to make it faithful to the original, and its naive of anyone to think they would.

That said, I think its ok. The theme retains just enough of the original, there were some nice little nods to the original series - a quick clip of Stingray, the Space 1999 Eagle-like nose of the underwater drilling rig, and the TB1, 2 and 3 launch sequences are excellent, keeping the original 5..4..3..2..1 countdown from the original series voice...and even the 'orange squeezer' in the TB1 launch bay, and they do at least seem to be setting up storylines for possible future themes...such as the Hood/Kayo family connection, and the 'disappearance' of Jeff Tracy.

I like the design of the craft as well, different but not massively so, kind of pumped-up and with some interesting gadgets (loved TB3's foldable fins/grappling hooks, and TB4's detachable medical pods).

Plus the real sets and backgrounds are a nice touch - loved the big miniature of the Hoods retro-looking craft at the end.

Overall, considering the obvious updating for modern audiences and certain compromises, I enjoyed it...apart from Brains 'Indian' sounding accent...?

Trailer below -

I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

I only watched a few minutes of the original. I think marionettes are creepy.

I loved the orignal series. I think I have most episodes recorded on video, except the ones which were mostly flash-backs.

Seeing as I fully endorsed Ray Harryhausen and the Shōwa era Godzilla pictures, you could probably imagine what my thoughts are here. I LOVE all the Supermarionation shows.

JUST SAY NO TO CGI THUNDERBIRDS!!!!!!!

I liked the early Thunderbirds, and have the episodes, but I preferred Anderson's UFO and Space: 1999 series more. Still I'd give it a chance, thanks for the head's up.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    No Superpuppemation, No JKL2000

Most important question: Is Lady Penelope smoking hot? Of course, if she's not a puppet, who cares?

Actually, nothing beats Terrahawks.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No Superpuppemation, No JKL2000

Most important question: Is Lady Penelope smoking hot? Of course, if she's not a puppet, who cares?
    Come on, like you guys wouldn't bang a puppet if she was hot enough!

For the record, the original was just called Thunderbirds

No puppets, No supermarionation, No Gerry Anderson, No way I'm even remotely interested.

Anyway, Stingray and Captain Scarlet were always what the cool kids watched, Thunderbirds was for infants

Marina, hubba hubba!!! And the Angels, oooh lord! Destiny, Harmony, Melody, Symphony and Rhapsody...

What we never understood as little boys was why there was this not so attractive short haired woman who looked lovingly at a photo of Troy Tempest, while Troy Tempest was on the beach and in restaurants with a smoking hot Oceanworld aquawoman called Marina!

Last edited by PeterG; 04-07-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Anyway, Stingray and Captain Scarlet were always what the cool kids watched, Thunderbirds was for infants
    Captain Scarlet is awesome. I have the DVD compilation, and these really hold up well against my memory of them as a kid. This show had a very dark undertone, and most interestingly, the good guys don't always win. I watched Thunderbirds, but didn't like it nearly as much. I don't recall Stingray.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Come on, like you guys wouldn't bang a puppet if she was hot enough!
    NOTE: The link below is sick, weird, contains nudity and is NSFW:

https://www.realdoll.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    NOTE: The link below is sick, weird, contains nudity and is NSFW:

https://www.realdoll.com/

Talking about dolls, the Austrian painter and writer Oskar Kokoschka once ordered a doll to be made in the image of Alma Mahler.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Kokoschka

I recently read a book about their love-affair.

From TV to puppet love in less than a page. PE rocks!

"...and they called it puppet looove...." A contender for a misheard lyrics thread perhaps?

Here's a positive review of Thunderbirds if you want to read it: http://www.comicmix.com/2015/04/06/r...rbirds-are-go/

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Here's a positive review of Thunderbirds if you want to read it: http://www.comicmix.com/2015/04/06/r...rbirds-are-go/
    I'm really more interested in the puppet sex actually, but I'll give it a look.

Uh, yeah, you mean CGI sex dontcha?

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Uh, yeah, you mean CGI sex dontcha?
    Oh no, this is all about Lady Penelope!

The real one.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm really more interested in the puppet sex actually, but I'll give it a look.
    I guess you like Team America, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I never did see that, largely because I knew it was made by the two turkeys responsible for South Park (which I don't like). It was kinda nice to see a modern film out that used supposedly "antiquated" efx and not some stupid, overrated CGI dren.

Uh, the cool kids watched Fireball XL5...

The Lady Penelope puppet must be completely anatomically correct, or Thunderbirds AREN'T go.

Loved this stuff as a kid, tried watching it again as an adult and it didn't hold up as it did to my 8-year-old eyes. But a high-tech CGI version? No thanks. I'll stick with the low-tech charm of the 60's version.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...