Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gryphon: Red Queen To Gryphon Three

I have the first four only on those two-fer CD's. Red Queen is head and shoulders above the rest, and as everyone has agreed, it is a classic on progressive music.

I used to have Treason on vinyl back in the day, and I always enjoyed it because back then it was the only Gryphon I was familiar with. I never saw the early albums in the record racks and nobody I knew was into them.

Has anybody listed to the two recent albums? I was so into them a decade back, but have not been energised enough to buy these yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Has anybody listed to the two recent albums? I was so into them a decade back, but have not been energised enough to buy these yet.
    ReInvention (2018) was suprisingly good but I have not heard the latest one yet.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

I agree that RQTG3 is the best overall album, but my favorite Gryphon track is still “(Ein klein) Heldenleben” off of Raindance. Never get tired of that one. Of their original run of five albums, I’d argue that none of them is bad, and each has something to recommend it. Even Treason, which is nominally their “sell-out” album, but is not so much a pop album as more of a work in a straight-up prog-rock direction that the band had been moving into ever since RQ. Even that one has its quirks, with the Medieval folk influence that was there from the start still in evidence. And hey, props to them to committing to having a full-time bassoonist in the band even at this late date!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I have the five original albums and the BBC concerts disc "About as Curious...". All well worth having. I bought the "Red Queen" LP back when it came out just based on the cover and (especially) the instruments listed on the back. It was a U.S. release on Bell Records, which was a pop music label (Tony Orlando and Dawn, Partridge Family). The other albums were very hard to track down at that time; I did find the Midnight Mushrumps LP a few years later.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    It was a U.S. release on Bell Records, which was a pop music label (Tony Orlando and Dawn, Partridge Family).
    While that was Gryphon's only US release, there was also a Canadian edition of Raindance on the Bomb label that I have never seen in the wild.

Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY inordinately available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    While that was Gryphon's only US release, there was also a Canadian edition of Raindance on the Bomb label that I have never seen in the wild.
    I never knew that existed!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I bought the US release of RQtG3 in the late 70s or early 80s. It was one of the earlier "wider world of Prog-Rock" albums that I purchased back in the day. Still think it's a goodun.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I never knew that existed!
    yup, not specifically looking for it (pretty crass artwork too), but I never saw that one either (or Treason FTM) - I had seen their first three albums and Raindance's normal artwork in the bins, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A favourite of mine since I first heard it in the 70s-a very magical album and such a glorious cover that perfectly fits the contents!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    yup, not specifically looking for it (pretty crass artwork too)
    It was designed when the album's working title was "Ballerina Piss."
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"