Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Henderson Interview

Scott Henderson Interview

Just read and enjoyed this interview (from 2012) with one of my top 5 favorite living guitar players. I know it's not destined to be a 15 page thread, just thought I'd share it with anyone who might be interested. He talks about several music related topics, from illegal downloading to gear to recording to how Tribal Tech's approach to music changed over the years.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/sc...-interview.php

Thanks for posting that , Ernie. I always like to hear what Scott has to say. I visit his website from time to time and read the Q&A section of his message board , his answers are entertaining , a very funny guy. I , not being a guitar player can't get much out of the technical info he shares , but it must be valuable to those that do play.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Thanks for posting that , Ernie. I always like to hear what Scott has to say. I visit his website from time to time and read the Q&A section of his message board , his answers are entertaining , a very funny guy. I , not being a guitar player can't get much out of the technical info he shares , but it must be valuable to those that do play.
    I realized that when me and my wife went to see him live how astute and funny he could be. Thanks for the link Ernie.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Thanks for posting that , Ernie. I always like to hear what Scott has to say. I visit his website from time to time and read the Q&A section of his message board , his answers are entertaining , a very funny guy.
    I visit his discussion forum sometimes too and at times his answers are hilarious. Once, somebody was asking him about private lessons and he said that teaching two days a week at MIT was all he could handle; he's already killed two students and now they're hassling him about where the bodies are buried.

There's not as much of his humor in this interview, but he's a smart and interesting guy (besides being a smokin' guitar player) and I like hearing what he has to say about music.

"we came out of the session with about 30 jams, and we were very successful this time. I think any of those 30 jams would have been fine for the record. It was hard to pick 10 that we liked the most. We picked 10 tunes, and I took 3, Kinsey took 3 and Willis took 3. Each person is the producer for those 3 tunes chosen, and we add things to the jam, like add melodies or whatever we think it needs to make it into a finished tune. Actually, quite a bit of it is left as is. The ballad, Palm Moon Plaza, that pretty much happened in the studio. Not much was done to that. An acoustic piano was added at the end, that's about it."

I wonder if some of this music left off could make it to another CD?

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I wonder if some of this music left off could make it to another CD?
    It could, but it won't. Tribal Tech was declared dead a few months after their final album, "X" came out. Scott has a new trio album coming out on May 1st. No vocals this time.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    It could, but it won't. Tribal Tech was declared dead a few months after their final album, "X" came out. Scott has a new trio album coming out on May 1st. No vocals this time.
    Hope it's different than HBC. I wasn't crazy over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Hope it's different than HBC. I wasn't crazy over it.
    HBC was basically the fusion equivalent of a "super group" and like Scott said, it's a covers album. I like it, but it's not amongst my favorite albums he made. I think his new trio album will be very different from it.

Three participants in this thread.

HBC was basically the fusion equivalent of a "super group" and like Scott said, it's a covers album. I like it, but it's not amongst my favorite albums he made. I think his new trio album will be very different from it.

Three participants in this thread.
    Four.

I enjoyed the interview, Scott is in my top five favorites guitarists also.

The Orphan from the HBC album came on in my ipod today.

Amazing & beautiful tune!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Scott's interviews are always highly insightful and he is in my group of elite players as well. Thanks for posting!

I found a coupe of pretty lengthy Tribal Tech shows on YT.

Last edited by No Pride; 04-07-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Read this a while ago, but please count me in as a participant in the thread, LOL!

Scott's new album is really fantastic!

http://www.scotthenderson.net/Online_Store.htm

Also there is a new discussion group on facebook about Scott (with Scott participating a bit) at :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/452595031569078/

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post

http://www.scotthenderson.net/Online_Store.htm

Also there is a new discussion group on facebook about Scott (with Scott participating a bit) at :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/452595031569078/
    I ordered it from Abstract Logix; eagerly awaiting delivery!

I'm not on Facebook, so I can't see what's there.

I think you'll love the album, Ernie. It's a great, uh, fusion of his bluesier playing of late with some more jazz rock tendencies of Tribal Tech.

Since switching to Suhr guitars he's got such a ridiculously thick tone IMHO - a little ( just a little ) less single coil to it. People always go on about over use of the whammy bar, but it just wouldn't be Scott Henderson without it. I love what he does with the bar. He's one of my faves as well.
    Out now! My latest work "Track Of Days"!

Scott is just so great, and even though I don't play guitar, I love the interviews on the forum. I can't wait to check out this new cd! I miss TT, but it'll be okay as long as he keeps recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Since switching to Suhr guitars he's got such a ridiculously thick tone IMHO - a little ( just a little ) less single coil to it. People always go on about over use of the whammy bar, but it just wouldn't be Scott Henderson without it. I love what he does with the bar. He's one of my faves as well.
    I sometimes miss the humbucker sound and legato technique he used with early Tribal Tech. And the heavily arranged music he and Gary wrote for the band early on. But he does get some of the juiciest Strat tones in existence!

I haven't heard too many people complain about his overuse of the whammy bar, but if they do, I guess it's understandable, especially if they were used to his playing before he started doing that. He's one of the few guitar players that majorly reinvented themselves. The first time I saw him with his trio, he was in mid transition... and I'll admit it was somewhat annoying. He always employed the bar in his playing previously, but not to that extent; he hardly let go of it the whole night and it was making me seasick. Some of the stuff he was doing with it wasn't working for me. But by the time "Tore Down House" came out less than a year later, I felt that he had arrived at what he was going for that night and his whammy stuff sounded really cool! I've never heard anyone sound more like they were playing with a slide when they weren't. It takes a lot of guts to experiment in front of an audience the way he was, but that's how he got it together. My only regret is that I always thought he had the most beautiful finger vibrato and now he doesn't use it much anymore. Oh well, he's still one of my favorite guitar players in the world!

It arrived in my mailbox yesterday and I gave it it's first spin last night. You weren't exaggerating, John! I'm already pretty certain that this is Scott's best solo album! Sincerely, words fail me... and what good would they do anyway?!

His new band sounds great too!

It arrived in my mailbox yesterday and I gave it it's first spin last night. You weren't exaggerating, John! I'm already pretty certain that this is Scott's best solo album! Sincerely, words fail me... and what good would they do anyway?!

His new band sounds great too!
    Sounds like I need to have this! Thanks all for making me spend my money. At least on something I'll enjoy instead of taxes and bills.

The album is now up on YT for the 3% of you who might be interested. It's a real genre blender; rock, blues, jazz, funk, country, all popping up their heads and waving. Scott manages to make it all make sense somehow... and to keep his own distinctive style throughout.

I've listened to this album 10+ times by now and it could very well be one of my favorite 'guitar' albums of all time.

Yes it is!

His playing on this may be his best....imo

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    His playing on this may be his best....imo
    Yeah, I think he's actually evolved; as awesome as he always was! It's a deep album... man!

He's evolved. And with a very distinct voice.

He seems to have shed his Holdsworthisms that he carried around in the 80s and early 90s.