Thread: Oppo equivalent needed...

Oppo equivalent needed...

It's that special time when a component dies, and I have an excuse to upgrade

My trusty Yamaha DVD player is showing signs of mortality

Is there is Oppo anyone cares to rec that has Bluray / SACD / DVD-A capability, and is region free, or easily hackable?

TIA

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Yeah. You buy it from this vendor

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-...ffalo-grove-il

He also hacks the BDP105.

Thank you

The "standard" one is $499, the dude is getting $200 to free it up apparently

I suppose this isn't just a "remote code", like all the other players I've executed this on

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

No. Its a hardware hack. If you poke around you can find it online and install it yourself. I let this guy do all the work. I'm lazy.

Banned
    I would wait before throwing away cash on a player which doesn't support 4k. There will always be change, but sometimes the slope of change is larger. By the end of the year, 4k Bluray content will be available, and so will there be an Oppo which handles it. I would replace the Yamaha with. Pioneer 610av region free and get a cheap Blu Ray with HDMI out. Hopefully you can stream SACD to your receiver over hdmi, but the 610 has decent built in DACs. Buying a player with built in DACs is a waste.

http://regionfreedvdplayers.ecrater....s-multi-system

^ I was hairs close to pulling the trigger on another Yamaha, but it had Bluray and SACD, but not DVD-A capability and I didn't realize that until I had it in my cart - happy I read one more review

I'm going to do some more homework, but the problems seems like it may have been a connection issue so I have some time

Oppo is about twice as expensive, do they think they are Apple?

: )

BG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    ^ I was hairs close to pulling the trigger on another Yamaha, but it had Bluray and SACD, but not DVD-A capability and I didn't realize that until I had it in my cart - happy I read one more review

I'm going to do some more homework, but the problems seems like it may have been a connection issue so I have some time

BG
    That website I had a link to, also has many more links to different region free bluray DVD-A. The Pioneer I mentioned, Ive had for 5 years and one of few that streamed DVD-A, DSD (SACD) over HDMI.

Banned

BG
    Check this out. This was the last affordable Pioneer that supported DVD-A and SACD:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-ELIT...item4637c833f9

This AVS thread has an expert that vouched for it. The latter models of the same price dropped DVD-A

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...er-thread.html

BG
    Maybe, just a little.
    My 93 , purchased in 2011, has been getting firmware updates all along. Just got one a month ago.
    They are supported. That costs.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

http://www.220-electronics.com/sony-...vd-player.html

This player seems to support 4K, has SACD...but not sure about the DVD-Audio. Anyone have this and care to comment?

I've ordered from 220-Electronics before and never had any problems with them.

I too would like to upgrade my current player to one with SACD abilities and this looks like a strong contender. At $240 (for the region-free version), this is awfully tempting and less than half the cost of an Oppo!

Peter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    http://www.220-electronics.com/sony-...vd-player.html

This player seems to support 4K, has SACD...but not sure about the DVD-Audio. Anyone have this and care to comment?

I've ordered from 220-Electronics before and never had any problems with them.

I too would like to upgrade my current player to one with SACD abilities and this looks like a strong contender. At $240 (for the region-free version), this is awfully tempting and less than half the cost of an Oppo!

Peter
    It's a Sony, therefore it will not support DVD-A.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Reviving this vintage thread because I need an additional Blu-Ray player. I’m looking for one that won’t have a problem with European BDs like the Big Big Train and Anglagard BDs that many US buyers couldn’t view with their players. Those disks were no problem for the Oppo.

Some of the more expensive Marantz-models plays most media.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Reviving this vintage thread because I need an additional Blu-Ray player. I’m looking for one that won’t have a problem with European BDs like the Big Big Train and Anglagard BDs that many US buyers couldn’t view with their players. Those disks were no problem for the Oppo.
    Are you sure that Oppo supported pure PAL BD’s? I have a Sony multiformat BP-800 which didn’t support PAL BDs, even though it was region independent. Big Big Train could have generated Stone as a universal region BD, but didn’t. However subsequent releases are universal. But if you were to get a Sony, get the BP 700 which supports Dolby Vision.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Some of the more expensive Marantz-models plays most media.
    Overpriced. Sony BP 700 is a best value. Before you know it, any player will become obsolete. I think 5g will cause cable and WiFi to tank. Hard formats are going away. Why invest big now? Sony supports enough.

Strangest thing: Sony BD players won't play PAL DVDs or Blu-Rays, but will play PAL video files absent the disc. Go figure.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Strangest thing: Sony BD players won't play PAL DVDs or Blu-Rays, but will play PAL video files absent the disc. Go figure.
    Careful, this $150 one does WGC Sony BDP-S1500 Region Free Blu Ray Player Pal/NTSC Zone A B C Rigion 012345678 will.

However it likely doesn’t support SACD or DVD-A or other formats. Maybe not 4K HDR or Dolby vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Careful, this $150 one does WGC Sony BDP-S1500 Region Free Blu Ray Player Pal/NTSC Zone A B C Rigion 012345678 will.
    True, but most won't. Not even region free PAL discs. I own quite a few region free PAL Prog DVDs, none of which played on the several Sony machines I've owned through the years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    True, but most won't. Not even region free PAL discs. I own quite a few region free PAL Prog DVDs, none of which played on the several Sony machines I've owned through the years.
    Key is whether the unit supports either Power Supply standards. That one does.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Are you sure that Oppo supported pure PAL BD’s? I have a Sony multiformat BP-800 which didn’t support PAL BDs, even though it was region independent. Big Big Train could have generated Stone as a universal region BD, but didn’t. However subsequent releases are universal. But if you were to get a Sony, get the BP 700 which supports Dolby Vision.
    I just know my Oppo has no problem with the Big Big Train Blu-Ray or the Anglagard one. Lots of people couldn’t watch them. That’s what I want to avoid.

Banned
    I just know my Oppo has no problem with the Big Big Train Blu-Ray or the Anglagard one. Lots of people couldn’t watch them. That’s what I want to avoid.
    Well what formats do you require support for?

One thing I've found is lesser known titles, like most prog DVDs and Blu-Rays will typically not be encrypted. It's easy to simply copy the video files to a thumb or portable hard drive, then play them on many more players from the USB port. Mind you, this won't be the case for any disc released by a major label, which you can bet IS encrypted. As they say, individual results may vary.

EDIT: I had a problem with the 2014 edition of The Best of 2 Days Prog. Something was physically off with the 2 discs, making them unplayable in my Samsung machine, which does play PAL DVDs. The DVD drive in my computer WAS able to read them, so I ripped and played the unencrypted files on my Sony BD player.
    Last edited by progmatist; 04-01-2020 at 03:09 PM.