Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yuengling Top Craft Brewery?

Banned

Yuengling Top Craft Brewery?

WTF!

http://m.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/yuengling-ranked-top-u-s-craft-brewery-article-1.2170333

Yuck.
    <sig out of order>

Just goes to show that when the definition changes, the results change.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

That headline is misleading, no surprise coming from that bastion of journalistic integrity the NY Daily News. If you read carefully, this is based strictly on sales volume, and Yuengling only qualifies because of a shift in the definition of "craft brew" that has allowed in these larger, but still "traditional" beer makers. It has nothing to do with any perception of "quality," as the article makes perfectly clear. Without the misleading headline, there's really no story here. Most real beer lovers know the difference, regardless of how the industry defines it. I like Sam Adams fine, but am fully aware it's not a true craft brew like many of the smaller, all-malt producers lower on this list (and hunderds that didn't even make this list).

Yuengling has made a big push into the Boston market recently. I had one when I was down in New Jersey during a NEARFest, and thought it was totally "meh," and haven't bothered with it since. I'll be surprised if they can retain penetration in this market with Sam Adams and Harpoon, who I think both have far better products than Yuengling, but we'll see. There still seems to be an almost unlimited appetite for the watery, tasteless American premium style beers. And obviously with high sales volume, Yuengling has a target market.

There are so many good domestic producers now, I can't even keep up, not to mention all the good stuff available from Europe. We're going to Belgium in June, and I can't wait to sample thier incredible offerings.

Bill

I think I could go to a Detroit suburb, throw a stone and find a microbrewery better than that.

Bill, I spent 3 days in Ghent a couple of years ago. I brought a list and hit most of the good beers. I probably only had for or five beers more than once. It was fun.

How is Yuengling a craft beer?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    It's not.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    I think I could go to a Detroit suburb, throw a stone and find a microbrewery better than that.
    Seriously!

Bill, I spent 3 days in Ghent a couple of years ago. I brought a list and hit most of the good beers. I probably only had for or five beers more than once. It was fun.
    I'll bet! We'll be several days in Brussels before we're on a tour to see the festivities around the 200th anniversary celebration of the Battle of Waterloo. On the 21st we head the Ghent for 2 1/2 days, then on to Bruges for 2 1/2 days (with a trip down to Ypres in there somewhere). So if you still have your list, I'd love to see it!

As Ian said, it's not. They changed the rules, so it gets in. The article has the details, but really this is just an industry thing. No serious beer drinker should pay any heed to this. The new definition puts them at the top in terms of sales, where Sam Adams (Boston Brewing) used to be. It's a non-issue.

Bill

Shiner is another one. That stuff is the pinnacle of mediocrity.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My weekend selection, not a Yuengling in sight

beer2.jpg
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    They changed the rules, so it gets in. The article has the details, but really this is just an industry thing. No serious beer drinker should pay any heed to this. The new definition puts them at the top in terms of sales, where Sam Adams (Boston Brewing) used to be.
    And yet I think I saw where Sam Adams is the #5 producer in the USA. If accurate, it goes to show how much the 3 giants have gobbled up all the other mass production breweries. They have also bought some real Craft breweries lately, too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Shiner is another one. That stuff is the pinnacle of mediocrity.
    Agree, however Shiner Bock beats anything Yuengling produces that might be available at some convenient restaurant in TX. Of course if you don't like lagers, then little if any of that style will do.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

beer2.jpg
    Have you had Tank 7 before, Ian?

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan.
    Ian

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

beer2.jpg
    Mmm... Rienzi!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

beer2.jpg
    Dogfish Head pale ale and Cento tomato paste. Can't beat that.

Was cooking a chilli at the time
    Ian

Mmm.......the Detroit suburbs have some excellent Microbreweries........Southwest Michigan even better ones.

Chattanooga has a very respectable Microbrew called Big River. It will be the house brew at the gig Glass Hammer is doing in a week!

My Easter weekend beers have been: Cameron's Rye Pale Ale, Bellwood's Witchshark Double IPA, Junction Brewery's Black Lager, Amsterdam Brewery's Scottish Ale.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmm.......the Detroit suburbs have some excellent Microbreweries........Southwest Michigan even better ones.
    Hey Steve, I'm going to be in Grand Rapids on business for a couple of days a few weeks from now. I know Founders is out that way (though I won't have time for a tour), but can you recommend some other good local breweries from Grand Rapids or a solid bar/grill type restaurant that is known for stocking local taps?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

It might have fallen under the old definition. When I was at Penn State back in the day, it was the "cool craft beer" alternative to Bud and Coors. I didn't care for it all that much, but thought the Black and Tan was okay. I was surprised to see how much they grew since the early 90s.

beer2.jpg
    Now that's a good looking lineup of craft brews! We got a six of that Smoke & Dagger from Jack's Abbey. My wife had one and LOVED it. I'll have one this week.

Cheers!

Bill

FWIW, I have been enjoying this: