Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters Amused To Death reissue/remaster

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    ... Radio Kaos sadly is a big let down.
    I missed the Pros and Cons tour, but the KAOS concert was killer...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by BigSixFan View Post
    Very well said. Waters' navel gazing has worn on me for decades, and frankly, he whines far too much for someone who is as wealthy as he is. Life is fine, Roger. Many kids lost their Dads the same way you did -- or far, far WORSE. Capitalism is your friend, Roger. You did well working by its rules. Learn to practice gratitude.

Bob
    Not sure you could state that late 60's rock bands play the capitalist game - at least not consciously

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    T
    Well, he hasn't done anything new in a long time. And, given that this is a thread about one of his albums, you're bound to read criticisms of his career.
    Mmmhhh!!!... Ca Ira is from 2005... just under 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Just for the record, it's been mentioned in a couple of the Pink Floyd books that Roger actually wrote Pros And Cons at about the same time as the original draft of The Wall. He apparently threw together demo versions of both song cycles, and presented them both to Dave, Nick and Rick, with the intent of deciding which of the albums to record. I forget who it was who said they were both completely tuneless.
    As if any other Floyd members had anything to propose at the time... Whatever little few ideas Dave, Nick or Rick might have had, they spent it on their solo albums, while Roger was alone at the helm of the ship, holding it alone afloat after the financial debacle of their management
    Last edited by Trane; 04-05-2015 at 06:00 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hello, I Love You is a great song. This came out in 2007 for a film called The Last Mimzy. The song is very melodic and Floydy. No spoken word vocals or mega phone. If it's an indication of where he goes with a supposed future album, I'd be happy!

I liked 2004 single "To Kill The Child" very much. Great song with brilliant lyrics.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Not sure you could state that late 60's rock bands play the capitalist game - at least not consciously.
    Trane, in the 1960s, Roger wasn't whining about all the perceived injustice in the world. When he began his solo career, he was loaded.

IMO, Waters simply couldn't hold up as a solo artist. He needed Gilmour as much as Dave needed Roger. That said, I would take MLoR and DB over The Final Cut anything Roger dredged up on his own. But that's just me (and millions of others).

Bob

Will ATD be re-released on vinyl. The initial vinyl release is very hard to find and expensive.

Trane, in the 1960s, Roger wasn't whining about all the perceived injustice in the world. When he began his solo career, he was loaded.

Bob
    Not really... The Wall's millions came in to reimburse the band's debts. The only person that did make money from the tour was the fired Rick Wright

TFC sold ok, but the band members were hardly millionaires by now, so to claim that Waters was loaded by the time he did P&CoHH is a gross exageration. Let's just say he wasn't bankrupted anymore by then. Anyway, Waters is a left-winger artist, what's so wrong with trashing the inequalities of our world??

And unlike Gilmason, he never was able to cash in on the totally undeserved success of AMLOR... and later TDB, so I'd say that Waters is probably sustantially poorer than Gilmour is.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not really... The Wall's millions came in to reimburse the band's debts. The only person that did make money from the tour was the fired Rick Wright

TFC sold ok, but the band members were hardly millionaires by now, so to claim that Waters was loaded by the time he did P&CoHH is a gross exageration. Let's just say he wasn't bankrupted anymore by then. Anyway, Waters is a left-winger artist, what's so wrong with trashing the inequalities of our world??

And unlike Gilmason, he never was able to cash in on the totally undeserved success of AMLOR... and later TDB, so I'd say that Waters is probably sustantially poorer than Gilmour is.
    No, not really:
    RW Net worth - 270Mil$
    DG Net worth - 140Mil$

I guess it is due to roylaties, having writing credits on most of floyds output from DSOTM till TFC

I don't understand. After one becames the success one should not care about poor people anymore? What is the logic here? One should only care about his own "class"?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I don't understand. After one becames the success one should not care about poor people anymore? What is the logic here? One should only care about his own "class"?
    It comes across as hypocritical to criticize the very system that made you so successful.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Very well said. Waters' navel gazing has worn on me for decades, and frankly, he whines far too much for someone who is as wealthy as he is. Life is fine, Roger. Many kids lost their Dads the same way you did -- or far, far WORSE. Capitalism is your friend, Roger. You did well working by its rules. Learn to practice gratitude.

Bob
    Wow, Roger Waters would probably want to beat the crap out of you for that post!

Not really... The Wall's millions came in to reimburse the band's debts. The only person that did make money from the tour was the fired Rick Wright.
    That's because though Rick was sacked from the band (at least, in private, anyway, he was still being presented to the public as a band member) he was kept on to perform The Wall concerts as a salaried back up musician. That means that effectively, while all of Roger, Dave and Nick's royalties from the album were being diverted to pay off the debts incurred by The Wall album/concerts/movie project, Rick was amongst those who were paid immediately, as he was one of the band employees, as it were, during the concerts.

Oh, and while people keeping back to this point about Roger going on and on about his father, he's actually only written or alluded to him a handful of times, specifically on Free Four, Another Brick In The Wall Part One, When The Tigers Broke Free, and the dedication note on the back cover of The Final Cut.

That Roger may continue to write songs about stupid politicians and about warfare is more a reflection of the fact that he's pissed off about the fact that said stupidity is still going on. The Final Cut was I think as much a comment about the Falklands War as it was about anything else, for instance.

Love Amused and Pros and Cons. Go Fishing could be his best solo track ever.

KAOS, on the other hand, is extremely dated sound wise.

And unlike Gilmason, he never was able to cash in on the totally undeserved success of AMLOR...
    Well, I don't know about it being an "undeserved success". I think it's a much better album than The Final Cut or any of the Waters solo records.

As for why he was unable to cash in, as it were, that was because Pink Floyd didn't present themselves to the public the same way, let's say The Beatles or The Rolling Stones did. If people know who John Lennon or Mick Jagger are, it's because they have been prominent individuals in mainstream media. Part of that was because The Beatles and The Stones predate the advent of the "rock n roll press", and were initially written about in the same teen magazines that covered all the more middle of the road pop singers and teen idols.

Pink Floyd arrived as that era of "serious" rock groups (as opposed to the teen idol stuff) were being written about more in the embryonic Rolling Stone and other similar publications than 16 or Tiger Beat, and the band members as individuals, especially after Syd left, kept a low profile. You didn't read about David Gilmour getting busted or Roger Waters allegedly having a fling with Pierre Trudeau's wife in some tawdry tabloid. They were basically one of those bands who were able to be highly successful in mainstream world, while at the same remaining virtually unrecognizable to the general public.

This was to the point that (as reported in Nicholas Schaefner's book A Saucerful Of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey), an autograph seeking fan once walked up to Rick Wright, and not recogin asking if he had seen the members of Pink Floyd hovering around a hotel lobby. Rick maintained a straight face, and said no he hadn't. Apparently, a few minutes later, said fan eventually realized who he had been talking to, and came back and got the autograph he wanted. But that would have never happened to Pete Townshend, Dr. Brian May, or David Lee Roth, to name a few who didn't keep that kind of a low profile.

And this low profile eventually came back to bite both Gilmour and Waters in their respective asses in the 80's when they launched solo careers. Maybe they were consciously trying to play smaller venues on their solo tours, but it's fair to say they weren't playing the size venues that they played as Pink Floyd.

And I don't think the respective albums didn't shift the number of units that let's Wish You Were Here or even Animals had. I remember Gilmour even admitting that it was like "starting over" and how he was fine with promoters identifying him in publicity as "Pink Floyd's David Gilmour", because if anyone really knew who he was, without that modifier there. Roger said once that, at the time, if he was introduced to someone as merely "Roger Waters", they'd have no clue who he was, unless he said "I used to be in Pink Floyd", then suddenly whoever he's talking to would start gushing about DSOTM and The Wall.

Now, in more recent years, that's changed, largely because both Dave and Roger (and to a lesser extent Nick and Rick, when he was still with us) became much more visible in the media than they had been circa 72-87, especially during that phase where Roger was bitching and moaning in public about how the other three had the nerve to keep going after he had quit the band. Even when there's been no new album or tour to promote, there's still plenty of people who want to talk about the old records (consider the recent documentaries on Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, and even Syd), and the lads have regularly made themselves available to talk on camera about it.

And of course, when you do stuff like going on tour and performing the two iconic albums that your name is attached to, in their entirety, that's gonna generate a lot of publicity too.

(and I'm still pissed I didn't get to see The Wall tour when it played here in 2010 or whenever it was)

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Love Amused and Pros and Cons. Go Fishing could be his best solo track ever.

KAOS, on the other hand, is extremely dated sound wise.
    It's kinda funny how that worked out. I remember reading Roger deliberately wanted Radio KAOS to sound "contemporary", so he used a drum machine on most of the record and used a lot of synths, and you hear it now and you think "Oh, that sounds so 1987" or whichever year it was that it was recorded.

I remember someone telling me that the reason the last Be Bop Deluxe album sounded so different from the earlier (and in my view better) albums they had done was because Bill Nelson wanted to "make music of the 80's" (presumably with the pre-Drastic Plastic records representing "music of the 70's"). Yet that one album now sounds more timelocked than the earlier stuff. And the same is true of Radio KAOS and who knows how many other albums that came out circa 83-89-ish or so. It's weird how what seemed so "new, contemporary up-to-date" in 1985 so quickly sounded "timelocked" and "dated" even just a few years later.

^ Interesting posts GuitarGeek. I don't rate AMLOR higher than TFC, I just think AMLOR, although basically a Gilmour solo album, sounded more like PF to many people's ears (and that's fine), and at the time I thought it was much better than Radio KAOS. Now I feel both albums (KAOS and AMLOR) sound "timelocked" and "dated". But Radio KAOS sounds worse IMHO, it really sounds lifeless and cold, and the guitar sounds are thin.
    Regarding AMLOR, I had read somewhere that Gilmour wanted to re-record it in the 90's because he also felt the sound was dated. I'm not sure about this.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 04-06-2015 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    No, not really:
    RW Net worth - 270Mil$
    DG Net worth - 140Mil$

I guess it is due to roylaties, having writing credits on most of floyds output from DSOTM till TFC
    I had said "probably". This is today's figures, I guess. I bet this order was reversed in the early 90's

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It comes across as hypocritical to criticize the very system that made you so successful.
    I would say it's salutory. not letting success blind you, you remain lucid and occasionally spit in the disgusting soup. I call that integrity

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, Roger Waters would probably want to beat the crap out of you for that post!
    Well, Waters is rather non-violent in terms of physical actions, but he would rightly thrash him lyrics-wise within a inch of his life for such a vile attack

Oh, and while people keeping back to this point about Roger going on and on about his father, he's actually only written or alluded to him a handful of times, specifically on Free Four, Another Brick In The Wall Part One, When The Tigers Broke Free, and the dedication note on the back cover of The Final Cut.

That Roger may continue to write songs about stupid politicians and about warfare is more a reflection of the fact that he's pissed off about the fact that said stupidity is still going on. The Final Cut was I think as much a comment about the Falklands War as it was about anything else, for instance.
    indeed. Waters' concerns in his lyrics may rile a few/most rock fans who don't care for intelligent texts in their music. AFAIAC, Waters ranks with Ian Anderson as among the most intelligent and eloquent prog rock stars (I mean Jon is eloquent, but not intelligent or intelligible). Compared to Gilmour, unable to write three or four competent words for lyrics (even his wife is dreadful, however cute she might be), Waters deserved the Floyd name alone on pure artistical grounds. Unfortunately, the court chose financial reasons, keeping a firm alive (since Waters wanted to kill it). Well, at least, only one song (High Hopes) gave the judges right

As I said, in previous threads:

TFC and The Wall are not about his dad's death, though it does (sparcely) get mentionned in both. many view TFC as the Wall's postface, which is false from a conceptual view, but even musically it doesn't resemble it: TW is all synths, TFC is piano and organ

Pros & Cons: if RW could issue a DVD containing the animations shown in the concerts with the music, most of the criticism would die down (or at least lower a few bars)

KAOS: ok, this has not aged well for a few reasons, namely that this album is about the cold war and its fears. Little did he know that Glasnost was around the bend

ATD: brilliant both lyrically and musically, it would've deserved maybe a different singer to give it the nuances it needed to make it one of the biggest prog album ever

Ca Ira: I should one day re-investigate this album (only heard it once t a friend's house) - and I guess most of us should, as no-one seems to be able to talk/discuss about it.

Well, I don't know about it being an "undeserved success". I think it's a much better album than The Final Cut or any of the Waters solo records.
    Well, About Face (83) or s/t (77) are much better albums than AMLOR, strictly because there are better songs on them. AMLOR is little more than Gilmour's third solo album, on which Mason guested and Wright was mentioned to give it a Floyd legitimacy it didn't deserve. Of course that Floyd name attracted Ezrin and Thorgersson. Despite that a dubious effort was made to link musically the songs together and with vague lyrics, it still doesn't cut the mustard.

The only OK tracks are Sign Of Life (a rip-off of Shine On You), Yet Another Movie, Terminal Frost and Sorrow. Let's face it: even those tracks wouldn't have found space on TFC (save maybe Sign Of Life to give it a Floydier aura) - let alone About Face. The alarm clock bells aping Time of Dogs of War or the sing-along choirs of Turning Away are just make-pretense Floyd powder in the eyes. New Machine hints at the one that welcomed you on WYWH, etc...

In other words, AMLOR is little more than a (poor) justification of Gilmour owning Floyd, while Waters was busy forraying forward in the depth of his artistical throes and guts - whether successfully or not is debatable

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think the selling power of MTV exposure had reached greater heights when AMLOR came out than it had when TFC came out. Also, Learning to Fly was just a more appealing song and video to the masses than The Fletcher Memorial Home (and the video) was.

^'The Fletcher Memorial Home' is one of the most startlingly savage 'political' songs ever recorded, yes.

'A Momentary Lapse...' largely suffers from the time it was recorded in. The material isn't bad for the most part, but it does now sound horribly 80s, in the negative sense. I think 'Learning To Fly', 'Sorrow' and 'On The Turning Away' are good songs though. Not one of their strongest albums, but if this is the weakest in your catalogue, you're not doing that bad IMHO. I think 'bad' albums by bands popular here (Yes and ELP, for example) are much, much worse than this...damning with faint praise, perhaps!

I recollect John Lennon responding to the news of Elvis Presley's death that Elvis "died when he went into the Army." The implication was that, as a creative musician, Elvis' talents predeceased his corpus.

For me, Pink Floyd died after Animals. The Wall just never clicked with me. The era of The Wall & beyond just never clicked with me.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Waters deserved the Floyd name alone on pure artistical grounds. Unfortunately, the court chose financial reasons, keeping a firm alive (since Waters wanted to kill it). Well, at least, only one song (High Hopes) gave the judges right
    What a bunch of nonsense.. Water's is revered for all the wrong reasons..
    He has admitted his lack of musical skill for years and yet "Water worshipers" continue to put forth this notion that Floyd was Waters.. give me a break.. Wright was on equal ground with Waters.. Gilmour contributed the level headed approach that was needed in the studio less Roger... well enough about that.. He was an integral part of the "whole" much like George was an integral part of the Beatles.. and it goes without saying he was a brilliant lyricist I'll grant him that.. but that's where I stop..

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I recollect John Lennon responding to the news of Elvis Presley's death that Elvis "died when he went into the Army." The implication was that, as a creative musician, Elvis' talents predeceased his corpus.

For me, Pink Floyd died after Animals. The Wall just never clicked with me. The era of The Wall & beyond just never clicked with me.
    It didn't help that Waters was basically stuck on a similar subject for three albums. He finally seemed to move on with Radio KAOS, but unlike Peter Gabriel, he never seemed to be able to translate it into something divorced from Pink Floyd. Same can be said for Gilmour, which is probably why he made a couple more albums under the Floyd name.

Personally, I probably like the post-Waters albums more than many here. I guess I don't care who is making the music as long as it's good. I don't feel the music in AMLoR has aged badly and I still like to listen to it even today.

I'm searching hard for Waters' observations on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Tienanman Square, Pol Pot's Killing fields, gross human rights abuses in Cuba and North Korea, the murderous abuses of Honecker, Cecesceau, etc, the Nineteen-Eighty-Four styled secret police throughout the Warsaw Pact (particularly in the DDR and USSR), and other totalitarian oppressions that make anything by the West pale in comparison. His interpretation of Animals completely perverted the intent of George Orwell's masterpiece, a scathing indictment of Stalinism and totalitarianism, not British/American capitalism of the 1970s.

But I guess those weren't his oxen to gore, which is why I pay him and his selective outrage little mind...

Bob