Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters Amused To Death reissue/remaster

As as ass man I must say that Pros and Cons on vinyl is a real keepsake.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I like ATD very much. I thought at the time of release that Waters was going in the right direction, because there was more music in there, and more room to breathe so to speak. It sounded like a more balanced and profound work than the previous solo albums. (Of course, I didn't know that 23 years later there would still be no follow-up !)
    I still find it too wordy, as other posters here. I also think Waters could have used other guest singers, and could have tried to make more effort to sing (his "spoken word" or "dylan-like" delivery doesn't really convince me). The vocals sometimes reinforce the impression that there isn't enough musicality in the whole thing IMHO.

I've long regarded it as the finest thing Waters ever did, a work of utter genius.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    Two words - Dave Kilminster.
    His solo acoustic album is pretty good.

Regards,
    Jon

Remember fondly when this was first released and how surprised I was that Roger could produce such a wide variety of songs.. My favorite from him thus far for sure..

KAOS is a fun album for what it is, but I rarely play it. By far, my least favorite of the three.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I obsessed Radio KAOS when it came out but about 10 or so years ago I tried to revisit it after a long time of not playing it and it was just too topical to really get into for me. I tried to get into AtD but much of it didn't click with me until I got the In The Flesh: Live DVD, which kicked much butt (I really hope this gets a bluray release)
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    As as ass man I must say that Pros and Cons on vinyl is a real keepsake.
    When did they start censoring it? I bought the cassette when it first came out and my copy is censor free.. Obviously when I bought the CD they had included the black bar across her backside..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    When did they start censoring it? I bought the cassette when it first came out and my copy is censor free.. Obviously when I bought the CD they had included the black bar across her backside..
    I have Pros & Cons cd where ass is fully and deliciously visible so "ass censoring" is probably the American way.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

the only good thing about War is that it gets Roger Waters angry enough to write and record a great album. this is his best.

what is 3D sound? is this yet another form of 'remastering' to get us naive fans to buy an album we already have?

I remember that women's groups in the USA were upset about yet another portrayal of woman as objects led to the censors black bar. This was within a year or 2 of the album's release. As the father of 2 young girls, I'm empathetic with the concern. Not sure why the album's designers thought a naked woman hitchhiking was important. Why couldn't a naked Roger Waters do the trick?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    couldn't a naked Roger Waters do the trick?
    Well, Roger had at that point already bared all in the cover of Going For The One.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the only good thing about War is that it gets Roger Waters angry enough to write and record a great album. this is his best.

what is 3D sound? is this yet another form of 'remastering' to get us naive fans to buy an album we already have?
    It's not a new process, it was used on the album when it was released in 1992.

Check this link for more info and details of a few others albums it was used on -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QSound#...d_in_QSound.22
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

All of Waters' vocals seem to suffer from the spoken voice through a megaphone sound that plagued him post-Animals. I can't stand it and it ruins his music for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Well, Roger had at that point already bared all in the cover of Going For The One.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I KNEW there was a greater chance of the West reaching a nuclear agreement with Iran than PE reaching an agreement on the best Waters album.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    All of Waters' vocals seem to suffer from the spoken voice through a megaphone sound that plagued him post-Animals. I can't stand it and it ruins his music for me.
    Very well said. Waters' navel gazing has worn on me for decades, and frankly, he whines far too much for someone who is as wealthy as he is. Life is fine, Roger. Many kids lost their Dads the same way you did -- or far, far WORSE. Capitalism is your friend, Roger. You did well working by its rules. Learn to practice gratitude.

Bob

Jon Neudorf
    And he happens to write songs and albums about it.

I haven't heard Roger 'whine' in a long time. Why can't we just give the guy a break. Just my two cents.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by BigSixFan View Post
    Very well said. Waters' navel gazing has worn on me for decades, and frankly, he whines far too much for someone who is as wealthy as he is. Life is fine, Roger. Many kids lost their Dads the same way you did -- or far, far WORSE. Capitalism is your friend, Roger. You did well working by its rules. Learn to practice gratitude.

Bob
    This is pretty much my issue with him, too. That, and I just don't think that he writes good songs. Or, rather, songs that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    And he happens to write songs and albums about it.

I haven't heard Roger 'whine' in a long time. Why can't we just give the guy a break. Just my two cents.

Regards,
    Jon
    Well, he hasn't done anything new in a long time. And, given that this is a thread about one of his albums, you're bound to read criticisms of his career.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Awesome!

My favorite of his.

ATD is his best solo album IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    To be honest, I never fully warmed to Roger's solo albums. Hated Pros & Cons, which sounded like leftovers from The Final Cut. Radio KAOS was probably my favorite, but I felt that Amused To Death was a mixed bag.
    Just for the record, it's been mentioned in a couple of the Pink Floyd books that Roger actually wrote Pros And Cons at about the same time as the original draft of The Wall. He apparently threw together demo versions of both song cycles, and presented them both to Dave, Nick and Rick, with the intent of deciding which of the albums to record. I forget who it was who said they were both completely tuneless.

One of the trophies I brought back from my trip to Amsterdam was a Euro LP pressing of Pros & Cons with the uncensored cover. Sure, I probably could have bought one off E-bay from the comfort of my own home, but I saw this one at the record store over there, and thought "I gotta buy that".

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is pretty much my issue with him, too. That, and I just don't think that he writes good songs. Or, rather, songs that I enjoy.

Well, he hasn't done anything new in a long time. And, given that this is a thread about one of his albums, you're bound to read criticisms of his career.
    I understand that but it just seems excessive to me.

Regards,
    Jon

Jon Neudorf
    I wonder if he'll ever release the album he has supposedly been working on for over a decade?

Regards,
    Jon