Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Cynthia Lennon

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    She's less omnipresent now thankfully but I remember a series of whiny interviews from her. That was a recent one where she made all sorts of grand claims about herself at Paul McCartney's expense. None of the other Beatle wives/ex-wives have behaved like that.
    In other words, she's not changed her style since the time of the breakup with Paul. The extravagant claims at Paul's expense may just possibly have had something to do with getting a handsome divorce settlement from Macca.

Interesting that she says Paul is recording with Kanye and Rihanna because "otherwise he will not be remembered." Ah yes, of course, no one remembers the Beatles or Wings, do they. The fact is, in years to come very few people would remember the name "Heather Mills", had she not temporarily been associated with Paul McCarrtney.

Yeah, I'm not sure why, but I remember when I heard about Harrison's messing around, feeling a sense of disappointment.
    One thing I don't think I will ever fully understand is why rock stars bother getting married. All of them mess around. Maybe the wives just turn a blind eye because who'd walk away from the lifestyle? Or as mentioned earlier, they have their own lovers on the side.

Suspended
    I guess rock stars get married for the same reason anyone gets married. No doubt most of them expect the marriage to last. the problem is that a touring schedule is very disruptive to a stable relationship, unless the wife is part of the act and tours alongside.

The other thing to remember is that marriages that last, with no big dramas, don't make news. Hence we may get a false impression of what fraction of rock star marriages end in divorce/separation/acrimony. Alice Cooper for example has been happily married to the same woman for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I guess rock stars get married for the same reason anyone gets married. No doubt most of them expect the marriage to last. the problem is that a touring schedule is very disruptive to a stable relationship, unless the wife is part of the act and tours alongside.

The other thing to remember is that marriages that last, with no big dramas, don't make news. Hence we may get a false impression of what fraction of rock star marriages end in divorce/separation/acrimony. Alice Cooper for example has been happily married to the same woman for a long time.
    You are quite right with that. And though not a rockstar, but still a pretty well-known musician, Klaus Doldinger is still married to his first wife. (Unless this has changed over the last years.)

I have no doubt that many (probably) marry for love. But what makes a *rock star's* marriage different from the rest of us is that countless women are throwing themselves at them.
    I don't care how long they've been with their wives- rest assured they're still having women on the side. So, unlike the rest of us they get an unwritten pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    One thing I don't think I will ever fully understand is why rock stars bother getting married.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I guess rock stars get married for the same reason anyone gets married.
    I'd think that all these guys get married so they can have families (kids in particular). Yeah, they're gonna get groupies on the side but they still want to have children, and I think that having children out of wedlock with groupies scattered all over the place isn't desirable. It's happened of course. We'd all be doing the same thing if we had the opportunity.

Yeah, that too. Kids. So, basically the wives are baby machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    So, basically the wives are baby machines.
    Not necessarily. You sound like you're on a moral high horse. The only difference between us (your average, wash-n-wear, working class joe) and them (rockstars, athletes, politicians, movie stars, etc.) is that they have opportunity. It's thrown at them every second on the road. I don't judge these guys. They're human, and subject to all the flaws that humans have. We think of the Beatles and as gods, as infallible.

And what about Yoko? She gave John May Pang as his concubine. She told May and John to go on holiday in LA. The holiday lasted 2 years (his so called "lost weekend"). These guys had women crawling all over them. Paul went wild too but you gotta admire him for remaining faithful to one woman for decades. Linda lost her battle with cancer unfortunately, but Paul was with her until death caused them to part.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 04-05-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    You sound like you're on a moral high horse. .
    I don't mean to. I guess I'm coming from a veeery bizarre place from my perspective. Unfortunately, I & someone close to me had a very bad experience with * one of these well-known, entitled, aholes. (not getting into names, but not Beatles-related) From that experience firsthand, I can tell you- they are aholes. So I guess this has made me a a bit bitter.

* correction- a few of them.