Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jean Paul Prat-Masal and Zeuhl Music

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Corima are a great band, I find them more like Koenjiyakkei.
    To me they are the perfect hybrid of the two.

And awesome, obviously.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    NICE!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

And i'm seeing Magma on Monday Night!
    Zeuhl obsessed (this week ;-)
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    it's Zeuhlishly delicious!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    And i'm seeing Magma on Monday Night!
    Zeuhl obsessed (this week ;-)
    I'm taking both daughters to see them on Saturday.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Looks like you've got it covered, then - literally!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

im in a world of Zeuhl!!!!

So seeing Magma Monday. Saw then in San Francisco in 1999 with Ptree, Brand x, gong etc. and i remember being pretty bored.
    Vander was smokin, but the chanting was putting me to sleep, literally. i fell asleep a few times during the performance.
    Should be interesting to see them now my taste has matured somewhat!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

^^

That's actually a very commendable position to uptake. When I first got into progressive rock music back in my teens, I was certainly NOT ready for anything as "out" as Magma - although I tried. It took some serious craft. I went by way of Soft Machine and the Canterbury scene.

Ironically, Magma (and indeed some other Zeuhl artists as well) appear to have a fascinating appeal with many children - whose minds are still not (erh...) corrupted by the pedantic of normative rationale as regards music and the expectancies of such.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think i'm ready for them now, Scrotum Scissor!

Gonna ease in real slow.
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

GO GET'UM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK
    So seeing Magma Monday. Saw then in San Francisco in 1999 with Ptree, Brand x, gong etc. and i remember being pretty bored.
    It was the other way round for me - I couldn't get into Magma at all, except for the first album, which has horn section and stuff and as such isn't 100% Zeuhl, until I heard them live. Then they came for an odd Moscow show around 2004 or 2005, I think (still the only occasion they ever played here), and though I wasn't too big a fan, I still decided to attend, cleverly thinking that it may be the first and last time I have an opportunity to see them in action. Gosh, what a show it was! I was instantly hooked - to be honest, I just spent the entire gig with my jaw on the floor. Bought K.A. shortly afterwards and consider myself a fan since then (even though I *still* don't really like the original studio version of MDK!).

As for my favorite Zeuhl albums, Eskaton's "4 Visions", the first Eider Stellaire and Dun's "Eros" are three I'll take with me on a desert island.

New to Zeuhl, i just splurged and bought like 40 Cds. Aside from now being broke, a few are really resonating with me. Although it is going to take some time listening to them all.

Dun-Eros
    Weidoje
    Abus Dangereux
    Jean Paul Prat-Masel

...are all particular stand outs so far. Some i have not even gotten to yet. Here is a list of what i bought. And yes when i jump in, i jump in.

Dun-Eros
    Weidorje - Weidorje
    Abus Dangereux
    Jean Paul Prat-Masal
    Rahmann - Rahmann
    Eider Stellaire - 1
    Eskaton - 4 Visions
    Francois Thollot - Contact
    Masal - Viens Des Quatre Vents
    Masal - Galgal
    One Shot - Ewaz Vader
    One Shot - Reforged
    Potemkine - Nicolas II
    SCHERZOO - 02
    Setna - Cycle I
    Xing Sa - Creation De L'univers
    Zao - Akhenaton
    Zao -Typhareth
    Zao -Shekina
    Zao -Kawana

Ordered on the way:

Magma - K.A
    Magma - Attahk
    Magma - Emehntehtt Re
    Magma - Kohntarkosz
    Magma - Udu Wudu
    Magma - Live : Hhai 2 x CDs
    Magma-Felicite Thosz
    Corima - Quetzalcoati 1
    Caillou - Caillou
    Neom-Arkana Temporis
    Laurent Thibault / MAIS ON NE PEUT PAS REVER TOUT LE TEMPS
    Patrick Gauthier - Bébé Godzilla
    Patrick Gauthier - Sur Les Flots Verticaux
    Potemkine - Triton
    SCHERZOO - 01
    SCHERZOO - 03
    Serge Brinkoff; Strave - Vision

Please let me know if there are any glaring omissions!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Think you've missed the two best Zao titles, "Z=7L" and "Osiris".

Zao saxophonist Yochk'o Seffer have made some great albums. "Ghilgoul" (as good, or even better than any Zao album IMO), and "Noce Chimique" are must haves.

Several Weidorje off shoots like Bernard Paganotti "Paga" (hard to find), Jean Philippe Goude "Drones" (mixture of Zheul-ish Jazz Rock and electronic chamber music) comes to mind too.

Mid-late 70s Magma Keyboardist, Benoit Widemann have3 nice solo albums. The 1st "Stress" have some good Zeuhl-ish tunes. The later two "Tsunami" and "3" are also nice (especially "Tsunami") but less Zeuhl / more fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by nnknsh View Post
    Think you've missed the two best Zao titles, "Z=7L" and "Osiris".

Zao saxophonist Yochk'o Seffer have made some great albums. "Ghilgoul" (as good, or even better than any Zao album IMO), and "Noce Chimique" are must haves.

Several Weidorje off shoots like Bernard Paganotti "Paga" (hard to find), Jean Philippe Goude "Drones" (mixture of Zheul-ish Jazz Rock and electronic chamber music) comes to mind too.

Mid-late 70s Magma Keyboardist, Benoit Widemann have3 nice solo albums. The 1st "Stress" have some good Zeuhl-ish tunes. The later two "Tsunami" and "3" are also nice (especially "Tsunami") but less Zeuhl / more fusion.
    I agree with the ZAO recs as Z=7L and Osiris are my favs from them plus Ghilgoul by Seffer is a must have.
    I'd also mention PSEU-s/t, UNIVERSAL TOTEM ORCHESTRA-The Magus, Jannick Top-Infernal Machina and RIALZU-U Rigiru.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Thanks for the great feedback guys!

I love the Magma track Nebėhr Gudahtt. What is the definitive recording of this?

This smokes! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oGJYLv9DFY
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I agree with the ZAO recs as Z=7L and Osiris are my favs from them plus Ghilgoul by Seffer is a must have.
    Yup!

The three by Paga are also musts imo.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Jeez, this thread wants to make me go on a Zeuhl-a-thon this week.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

no one mentioned Univeria Zekt
    I don't have it either... is it any good?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Univeria Zekt
    Its good, but not particularily zeuhlish - Imagine Magma: 1001 centigrades mixed with Blood Sweat & Tears.
    Get all Magma albums first. Get Inedits !

what Zeuhlmate said.
    While Univeria Zekt is a psedonym for Magma, their sole album does not sound very Magma-ish, but more in the Jazzy Brass Rock of BS&T / Chicago mode.
    Enjoyable for what it is, but not necessary recommended for someone looking for the Magma sound (though the longer tracks on the side 2 composed by Vander have similarity of the accessible parts of the early Magma albums, and the "undia" theme are re-used on Vander's "Wurdah Itah" album (which is a MUST for any Magma / Zeuhl collection).

Quote Originally Posted by nnknsh View Post
    While Univeria Zekt is a pseudonym for Magma, their sole album does not sound very Magma-ish, but more in the Jazzy Brass Rock of BS&T / Chicago mode.
    It's not a pseudonym for Magma. It's a project that happened to involved most members of Magma at the time (and credited under their real names), but clearly with the aim of making a more "commercial" album. So the fact that it doesn't sound very much Magma was very much intentional.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

>> Calyx,

Yeah, I stand corrected.
    Should have written "more or less a pseudonym" or something like that.

Though I am not sure how correct the story of UZ being an attempt for making a more commercial sounding project that work as an introduction to Magma.

I recall Klaus Blasquiz said so in an interview with Andy G (circa 1980 that later appeared on the Ork Alarm magazine), but now we know that these compositions have been recorded with Magma before the UZ project as a film sound track (as that version appeared on the Studio Zund box set), so it is clear that these songs were NOT composed for the purpose to make an "easier / commercial introduction to Magma album", but a re-use of an older "commercial" project.

Have no idea on what was the reason behind re-recording and releasing these tracks from Theleme label though.
    May be Thibault thought these tracks have some commercial appeal even without the Magma name, so decided to re-use them, or he needed more project on his label and thought those "lost tracks" are something easy and ready to use ?

New to Zeuhl, i just splurged and bought like 40 Cds. Aside from now being broke, a few are really resonating with me. Although it is going to take some time listening to them all.

Please let me know if there are any glaring omissions!
    I really like both Universal Totem Orchestra discs..
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

The boldness comes to show once you venture into Japanese Zeuhl. Ruins (the original duo version with bass/drums/vox) are rightfully mythical, but the real juice came with Koenjihyakkei, Bondage Fruit and Happy Family. These are very loud and sometimes downright aggressive acts, but their music was always incredibly sophisticated from a compositional viewpoint. Eccentric as hell, though - even when you're accustomed to European or American Zeuhl.

Lots of other Nippon acts were "partly" Zeuhl as well, like Mongol, Masque, SOH Band, Head Pop Up, Gestalt, Djamra, Pochakaite Malko etc.