Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jean Paul Prat-Masal and Zeuhl Music

The important thing to remember about Magma is: don't start with Merci! Pretty much anything else in their catalog, it's like shooting the broadside of a barn with a sawed off shotgun.

Merci is the Magma equivalent of 90125, the eponymous Genesis record, etc. And it's very 80's sounding too, with drum machines on several tracks. I happen to love the album, but, to borrow a line from an early 90's Oldsmobile ad campaign, "This is not your father's Magma!".

Oh yeah, and I guess I should also warn you about Retrospektïẁ (Part III), a live album Magma put out in 1980. Actually, rumor has it it's studio recordings with faked audience nosie added to the mix, but anyway, side one is largely a rather strange piece of music, by Magma standards anyway. It's almost like a funked up zeuhl version of a showtune (based on themes that were heard on the Attahk album). And it's 18 minutes long. The last five minutes or so sound like the zeuhl we know and love, but up to that point, it's very different. And it has a bit in the middle where one of the girl singers does her Janis Joplin impression. Again, I love it, but these may not be the droids you're looking for.

But yes, do get MDK, Köhntarkösz, Üdü Ẁüdü, KA, Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré, and Reims Opera House 1976 (a GREAT archival release, with a super version of Theusz Hamtaahk and also my favorite version of MDK).

And after you've exhausted all possibilities, then get Merci and Retrospektïẁ (Part III).

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    Not ever really delving into the Zeuhl sub genre, can you recommend other recordings like this?
    David, you may already have it an not exactly identify it as Zeuhl (more so fusion with Zeuhl sensibilities), but if you don't have any One Shot, go out and grab Ewaz Vader and Dark Shot like yesterday.

Zeuhl is a tough genre to describe the sound because you have groups much more overtly in the Magma style and those probably best identified as some form of French jazz-rock. There's a lot to explore, probably much you already have and didn't know.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Zeuhl is a tough genre to describe the sound because you have groups much more overtly in the Magma style and those probably best identified as some form of French jazz-rock.
    Right on. Plus some that take the more "obvious" traits and extremities of Zeuhl and extend it to some outer dimensions of the avant-garde (like Shub-Niggurath, Des Traces, Art Zoyd, Amygdala, Bondage Fruit, XHOHX etc.).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

aith01, Pekka Pohjola is a musical genius with a wealth of amazing albums.
    I would recommend them in this order:

Pekka Pohjola - Keesojen Lehto
    Pekka Pohjola - Visitation
    Pekka Pohjola - Space Waltz
    Pekka Pohjola - Urban Tango
    Pekka Pohjola - Pewit
    Pekka Pohjola - Changing Waters
    Pekka Pohjola - Harakka Bialoipokku
    Pekka Pohjola - Views
    Pekka Pohjola - The Group
    Pekka Pohjola - Flight Of The Angel
    Pekka Pohjola - Kätkävaaran lohikäärme
    Pekka Pohjola - Pihkasilmä kaarnakorva
    Pekka Pohjola - Jokamies

Great Live:
    Pekka Pohjola - Heavy Jazz and Live In Japan

For completists:
    UMO plays the music of PEKKA POHJOLA
    Espoo Big Band - Yesterday's Games
    Uni Sono - Uni Sono
    Thanks David! It looks like I have some serious listening to do. I will definitely check his stuff out.

Hope you enjoy the new purchases, and welcome to the world of Zeuhl.

Ive had these forever in my collection.
    Re-listening now and diggin' the fusion vibe.

As long as no monotonous chanting and Philip Glass-like arpeggios....in good ;-)

Rahmann – Rahmann
    Abus Dangereux - Le Quatrième Mouvement
    Potemkine - Nicolas II
    Zao-Kawana, Shekina, Akhenaton & Typhareth.
    One Shot - Ewaz Vader
    Pienza Ethnorkestra - Indiens d'Europe

Cheers!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Yes, amongst the bigger Magma family (One Shot, BBI, Thollot, Setna etc.) Pienza come across as probably the lest talked about, yet that album is a major scorcher! Really hot-hot-hot live recording, although the actual Zeuhl element may be a little understated and the very duration of the record makes it preferable to listen a song or two at a time. Still it goes a long way in showing the "organic" connection between Zeuhl and certain types of ethnic musics and more. I need to spin this again very soon; thx for the tip! It's been a while...
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    if you don't have any One Shot, go out and grab Ewaz Vader and Dark Shot like yesterday.
    Both out of print and starting to go for bigger coin....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

https://myspace.com/pienzaethnorkestra/music/songs
    New bassplayer, not James McGaw from Magma (as on the CD).
    Crank up the volume...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    How about the very first edition of the debut? I still remember getting this from you on your sincere recommendation to each'n'all and thinking when I got it that it was the coolest 'heavy fusion' disc I'd ever heard - that crunchy, crispy punch sound of a studio live recording. I listened to it almost without intermissions that summer, and people by the seaside actually grew to love it as well. I guess they didn't have much of a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    So where can i obtain a copy of One Shot-Dark Shot from? Nothing on Ebay or Amazon! :-(
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

http://www.cdandlp.com/en/search/?q=One+Shot - 50 euro !
    But the Live in Tokyo is VERY good too, and it goes for 15 euro

Other places to look
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/1018120-One-Shot-6
    http://gemm.com

So where can i obtain a copy of One Shot-Dark Shot from?
    Go get their debut (the one I wrote about ^) from here: http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...HL-spc-25.aspx

You will not regret it, believe me. Although this is a remix (I think?) of that very first album they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Go get their debut (the one I wrote about ^) from here: http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...HL-spc-25.aspx

You will not regret it, believe me. Although this is a remix (I think?) of that very first album they did.
    Yes, it's a remix for a more punchy sound & a clearer mix. This version is indeed better than the first ed. imo

Could only find Dark Shot on Gemm for $205!

Guess ill wait for the re-issue!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Then 2016 "should" be the year you'll get it.
    To my ears the live in Tokyo cd shows the band at their peak.

Not likely. But keep looking and maybe you'll get lucky.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Right on. Plus some that take the more "obvious" traits and extremities of Zeuhl and extend it to some outer dimensions of the avant-garde (like Shub-Niggurath, Des Traces, Art Zoyd, Amygdala, Bondage Fruit, XHOHX etc.).
    Dren! That's right, I forgot about Amygdala. I don't know if they have more than one album, I have one that's eponymously titled. Great disc.

Another one that I have that's fantastic is a band called Neom, the disc is called Arkana Temporis. I've got that on my mp3 player and it pops up regularly. Great, great album.

And I'm putting Amygdala on my mp3 player right now.

As for Bondage Fruit, I've got one of their albums, that I bought at NEARfest probably 12 or 13 years ago, but I don't really remember much about it. I'd have to put it on again.

And I've got one of the Potemkine reissues, if I remember correctly, they had three albums, and one of them was split between the CD reissues of the other two. So I've basically got Triton and like half of Foetus, I think was the title of that third album. Pretty good stuff there, too.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Dren! That's right, I forgot about Amygdala. I don't know if they have more than one album, I have one that's eponymously titled. Great disc.

Another one that I have that's fantastic is a band called Neom, the disc is called Arkana Temporis. I've got that on my mp3 player and it pops up regularly. Great, great album.

And I'm putting Amygdala on my mp3 player right now.

As for Bondage Fruit, I've got one of their albums, that I bought at NEARfest probably 12 or 13 years ago, but I don't really remember much about it. I'd have to put it on again.

And I've got one of the Potemkine reissues, if I remember correctly, they had three albums, and one of them was split between the CD reissues of the other two. So I've basically got Triton and like half of Foetus, I think was the title of that third album. Pretty good stuff there, too.
    There are two Amygdala albums, s/t & Complex Combat. I prefer the debut but they're both good. Good call on the Neom, I should really have remembered them as they played an excellent set in Paris a couple of years ago. Of the Potemkine's I prefer Triton, the second album.

Of the One Shot's I'd pick up the Reforged (debut reissue) and Live In Tokyo, both are great & available.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Soleilzeuhl View Post
    Then 2016 "should" be the year you'll get it.
    To my ears the live in Tokyo cd shows the band at their peak.

aith01, Pekka Pohjola is a musical genius with a wealth of amazing albums.
    I would recommend them in this order:

Pekka Pohjola - Keesojen Lehto
    Pekka Pohjola - Visitation
    Pekka Pohjola - Space Waltz
    Pekka Pohjola - Urban Tango
    Pekka Pohjola - Pewit
    Pekka Pohjola - Changing Waters
    Pekka Pohjola - Harakka Bialoipokku
    Pekka Pohjola - Views
    Pekka Pohjola - The Group
    Pekka Pohjola - Flight Of The Angel
    Pekka Pohjola - Kätkävaaran lohikäärme
    Pekka Pohjola - Pihkasilmä kaarnakorva
    Pekka Pohjola - Jokamies

Great Live:
    Pekka Pohjola - Heavy Jazz and Live In Japan

For completists:
    UMO plays the music of PEKKA POHJOLA
    Espoo Big Band - Yesterday's Games
    Uni Sono - Uni Sono
    I went ahead and scooped up a copy of Keesojen Lehto and Harakka Bialoipokku -- or rather their English title versions, remastered/re-released by Esoteric. Looking forward to hearing them.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

I'm no Zeuhl-ologist, but I have and enjoy that original Masal CD, and love what I've heard of the newer Masal releases - I'm sure I'll pick those up at some point.

This band played at ProgDay a couple of years ago, and were great live. They sound pretty Magma-like to me (you can listen to their whole album here):

https://corima.bandcamp.com/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    I'm no Zeuhl-ologist, but I have and enjoy that original Masal CD, and love what I've heard of the newer Masal releases - I'm sure I'll pick those up at some point.

This band played at ProgDay a couple of years ago, and were great live. They sound pretty Magma-like to me (you can listen to their whole album here):

https://corima.bandcamp.com/
    Corima are a great band, I find them more like Koenjiyakkei.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yes! My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well, like Nivraym era Koenji I'd say. Corima are tremendous, but arguably more "orthodox" at the Zeuhl thing than their long defunct countrymen Ga'an or Yeti.

I love this - they just suck you completely in:

Another band the OP might like are Musique Noise, an 80s band who released a rather strange record for Musea in '87 (Fulmines Regularis) in which they sounded like an otherwise unlikely merger of Shakatak and Attahk-era Magma. They also recorded most of a second album, superior to the first (IMO), which was reissued together with the debut when Musea released the latter on CD in the early 2000s. Additionally, they seem to have reformed to make further recordings in 2008, but apparently nothing came of it other than this odd film clip from a studio session (somewhat in the vein of recent Masal material):

Or how about Russian Zeuhl trio Syncopated Silence - led by a female drummer?

Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 04-02-2015 at 04:16 PM.