Thread: Volume

Volume

Is it just me or is the volume down on some recent releases. When I plan Steve Wilson's last two albums or the Remixes he did for Yes, the volume is significantly lower than my other music. Pink Floyd recent remasters are lower than the original CD's. Does anyone know if there is a reason for this? It makes it tough to make mixed playlists with these recordings.

the ones you cite are done correctly

the LOUD CDs are brickwalled with compression which ruins the textures and nuance of good music
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Drive View Post
    Is it just me or is the volume down on some recent releases. When I plan Steve Wilson's last two albums or the Remixes he did for Yes, the volume is significantly lower than my other music. Pink Floyd recent remasters are lower than the original CD's. Does anyone know if there is a reason for this? It makes it tough to make mixed playlists with these recordings.
    To the extent that it is happening, it is probably a very good trend. Because digital recording can only go so loud before clipping, the only way to make music louder than it was in most CDs from, say, the early '90s is to compress it by making sure everything, including what would normally be the softer sounds, is cranked up to close to the same level as the loudest cymbal crash. This is what most mastering engineers were encouraged, and eventually forced, to do from the late '90s onward. Audiophiles have referred to it as "the Loudness War," and have been complaining about it for years (the problem isn't the actual volume, but the lack of dynamic range necessary to produce the higher overall volume). What those who complain dislike about the compressed sound is that is is fatiguing even at lower levels, sounds very unnatural and sort of harsh and muddy at the same time, and at its very worst it produces clipping and distortion.

To the extent that some newer releases are bucking that trend, there may be someone in the band or the production team that is willing to take a stand for a return to a more "normal" (i.e., pre-"Loudness War") level of dynamic range. I only hope that the trend continues and we can get back to having new releases that are not brickwalled. But yeah, I can see why it would be tough for making mixed playlists. There may be some software (Replay Gain is the name I've heard) that "normalizes" the volume for such purposes.

If you are ripping to MP3, use the "normalization" feature on your ripper if you truly want to squash the dynamic range of your music so it is mostly the same volume.

Suspended
    I believe on one of his promotional publlicity statements for one of his releases, Steven said "If you find the volume too low for you, use the volume control to turn the volume up."

I want all my music to sound like Death Magnetic.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNY Mark View Post
    To the extent that it is happening, it is probably a very good trend. Because digital recording can only go so loud before clipping, the only way to make music louder than it was in most CDs from, say, the early '90s is to compress it by making sure everything, including what would normally be the softer sounds, is cranked up to close to the same level as the loudest cymbal crash. This is what most mastering engineers were encouraged, and eventually forced, to do from the late '90s onward. Audiophiles have referred to it as "the Loudness War," and have been complaining about it for years (the problem isn't the actual volume, but the lack of dynamic range necessary to produce the higher overall volume). What those who complain dislike about the compressed sound is that is is fatiguing even at lower levels, sounds very unnatural and sort of harsh and muddy at the same time, and at its very worst it produces clipping and distortion.

To the extent that some newer releases are bucking that trend, there may be someone in the band or the production team that is willing to take a stand for a return to a more "normal" (i.e., pre-"Loudness War") level of dynamic range. I only hope that the trend continues and we can get back to having new releases that are not brickwalled. But yeah, I can see why it would be tough for making mixed playlists. There may be some software (Replay Gain is the name I've heard) that "normalizes" the volume for such purposes.
    It sounds like a positive move. I learned a little about recording that I didn't know. We're not all Audiophiles. Thanks NorthNY Mark for the insight.

nice information
    thanks all

I am so annoyed by compression on the Animals as Leaders albums. Its really extreme!
    And the bass drum annoys me too. Cant play it loud on my stereo, sounds awfull.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNY Mark View Post
    Because digital recording can only go so loud before clipping, the only way to make music louder than it was in most CDs from, say, the early '90s is to compress it by making sure everything, including what would normally be the softer sounds, is cranked up to close to the same level as the loudest cymbal crash.
    You have the right phenomenon but you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Because digital recording (unlike analog) can ride 0dB without clipping (through the use of appropriate compressors), beginning in the early '90s the trend became to compress everything, including the softer sounds, so the dynamic range became a very narrow band between 0dB and -10dB. When compared side-by-side, two identical pieces of music, one compressed and thus apparently louder than the other, the ear always prefers the louder one.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNY Mark
    But yeah, I can see why it would be tough for making mixed playlists.
    Two solutions: avoid brickwalled sources, and/or use a software like iTunes that automatically level matches.

Volume

You own your volume knob not the record companies
    were are you compiling your playlists ?
    Streaming platforms?
    Most platforms are using normalization to address this problem They use volume normalization to create a balanced listening experience across playlists and albums. Services like Spotify, Tidal and Apple Music determine an average loudness value for singles, EPs & LPs using a loudness measurement called LUFS
    SoundCloud, Bandcamp, Beatport, Amazon Music and other platforms are not yet using normalization.
    in iTunes enabling Sound Check in the preferences provides you with normalization
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 11-12-2019 at 11:09 AM.