Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tabletop Genesis - Podcast

FYI, the PG 3 episode is now live on our website (tabletopgenesis.com) and on I-Tunes. So, listen away!

And yes, we'll be talking about Tony's material at some point... We're at that stage where we're probably going to alternate between a Genesis album, and a solo member's album or albums... Not every solo album will have its own podcast, but we'll cover a lot of material...

Thanks again for listening!

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Great to finally have some more Tabletop Genesis to listen to! I've already played the PG3 episode and found it VERY informative: lots of things I wasn't actually aware of despite having followed PG's musical career in real-time for many years. I particularly enjoyed Tom Roche's insights on the sometimes complex psychological aspects of the songs.

On a similar note, my take on PG3 was and is that while there are no cymbals, there are still lots of symbols. While listening, I was reminded that Phil Collins had asked (complained to?) Peter while starting to record Intruder: "Can I at least have a hi-hat?" Of course, PG famously refused to compromise on his artistic vision. I think he told Phil, "Give me 10 minutes of just that [riff]!" or something to that effect.

I’d certainly be interested in sharing thoughts, questions, or comments for the Tabletop crew. Here are three that I thought of while listening to all the shows:

1. Trespass: Stacy made a funny parting comment about PG’s goat-like vocalizations at the end of The Knife. I’m pretty sure what he’s actually doing there is a sort of homage to Roger Chapman, the singer for the British band Family, since Peter and the rest of the band were very much into Family’s music. Send Stacy to YouTube to have a listen to The Weaver’s Answer to hear the ORIGINAL goat-man. Accept no substitutes!

Also, Mike Rutherford mentioned in his The Living Years book that he doesn't really like many of these Trespass songs now because they were trying to include everyone’s input, so the songs just got longer. Speaking about Looking For Someone, he said, “If I had it now, it’s be a fabulous song as I could make something out of just the first couple of bits.” Originally, that’s what it had been, with Pete playing simple piano chords and singing along.

2. Mama: I remember going into my favorite record store in Kent, Ohio in late spring of 1983 and seeing the 12” single for Mama/It’s Gonna Get Better right in front. I grabbed it and raced home to listen. My first impression was, “Wow, this is cool – kinda dark, too.” Then when Phil did his first, “But it’s getting so hard /Oh-Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!” I immediately thought, “He’s ripping off Peter Gabriel there!” because it sounds quite a lot like the last part of the line from Rhythm of the Heat: “…The rhythm is inside me /The rhythm has my soooooooooooooooooul!” It’s the same descending interval in the same key of E major and done in that same shouting vocal style. Strange that I’ve never heard anyone else make this observation. Not that this caused me to dislike the song or anything…

I'll stop for now. Can't wait for the January show!
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 12-16-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Glad you're enjoying it so much! The PG comments you make are interesting, and the Family connection is a possibility... Lots of stuff to think about!

More soon,
    Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Suspended
    If ever there was a thread that should have been in the main Progressive Music forum and isn't, it's this one.

I just listened to the PG3 podcast. I have never heard this album in full, and there are some tracks I have not heard before at all. Nevertheless I maintain my original opinion that it has one clunker, and it's the big one: Games Without Frontiers.

I'm also glad to note that I am not the only person who heard the lyrics as "She's so funky-yeah."

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    If ever there was a thread that should have been in the main Progressive Music forum and isn't, it's this one.
    I did think about posting this there, but I know there's some sensitivity about posts that can be seen as "self-promotional," so I figured that this was a safe place for it.

However, if you want to post about the podcast there, feel free.

Mike

FYI, we're recording our And Then There Were Three episode next weekend, so if you want to get your vote in for fave track on the album, head over to tabletopgenesis.com to vote early, vote often!

Mike

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    FYI, we're recording our And Then There Were Three episode next weekend, so if you want to get your vote in for fave track on the album, head over to tabletopgenesis.com to vote early, vote often!

Mike
    I cast my vote, but that's a tough one. It's not like Foxtrot, where the winner is practically a foregone conclusion. I love ATTWT, but it's a very even album; I found it hard to pick just one track that stands out. Indeed, nor is there any track that I don't like.

I just listened to the PG3 podcast. I have never heard this album in full, and there are some tracks I have not heard before at all. Nevertheless I maintain my original opinion that it has one clunker, and it's the big one: Games Without Frontiers.

I'm also glad to note that I am not the only person who heard the lyrics as "She's so funky-yeah."
    lol, this reminds me of some of the Opeth fans talking about Ghost Reveries and The Grand Conjuration being the by far the worst on the album (or their least favorite/the 1 song they'd remove). Whereas myself, I consider it by far the best song on the album, and in the same case, I consider GWF the standout track on PG3. It definitely is the most memorable and has the catchiest chorus.

I cast my vote, but that's a tough one. It's not like Foxtrot, where the winner is practically a foregone conclusion. I love ATTWT, but it's a very even album; I found it hard to pick just one track that stands out. Indeed, nor is there any track that I don't like.
    Agreed, I've been second guessing my vote, and may even change my mind and say something else when we record the episode this weekend!

My main thesis about this album: If you look up the phrase "transitional album" in the dictionary, you'd see a photo of this record.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    lol, this reminds me of some of the Opeth fans talking about Ghost Reveries and The Grand Conjuration being the by far the worst on the album (or their least favorite/the 1 song they'd remove). Whereas myself, I consider it by far the best song on the album, and in the same case, I consider GWF the standout track on PG3. It definitely is the most memorable and has the catchiest chorus.
    And this is why music is so much fun to discuss, you can get a bunch of people together who all love a band, but there's always a wide array of opinions about the *specifics* of it all...

Mike

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I vividly remember hearing GWF for the first time during an advanced release of the track. I loved the song on first listen and it's been overplayed like hell so it doesn't resonate the same way anymore.

Hey all,

FYI, we weren't able to record this past weekend, due to a family issue with one of our Tabletoppers. We're going to reschedule soon to record our ATTWT episode, I'll keep you posted on that. In the meantime, voting is still open at tabletopgenesis.com for favorite ATTWT track.

I'll let you all know soon when our Foxtrot episode will be available for listening. I'm thinking by the end of the month it'll be good to go.

Thanks!
    Mike

Suspended
    ^^ Hot to trot, eh?

Thanks for the update, Mike! hope everything works out okay.

I've still been checking the site daily....

Suspended
    Hoping that "And Then there Were Three" does not become a reference to the Tabletop genesis team.

Hoping that "And Then there Were Three" does not become a reference to the Tabletop genesis team.
    No, nothing that drastic! We've actually discussed this, because getting all five of us together (two married couples, and Tom, who is married, but not to someone who is on the podcast) can be tricky.

Some of us say, "Oh, if I can't make it, go ahead without me," but I am of the belief that we either do it with all five of us, or not at all. We did the first episode (Abacab) without Eli, but I was viewing that more as a 'proof of concept' that the idea would even work. It did, so we put it out there. But since then, I want all five of us to be there for the recording...

When we start doing more interviews and things like that, we might not have all five of us in the interview room (that could just get crowded!), but we have an idea on how to incorporate all of us into the mix anyway.

Thanks again to all for listening, we really appreciate it!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Skype?
    We've talked about that, and we may try it out in the future. I do think though that there's actually something nice that happens when you have five people in an actual room together, making eye contact and talking. Also, we now have a setup for recording with five microphones (it makes the mixing easier for Simon), and I don't know if recording a track with skype would throw a monkey wrench into that arrangement.

I think we may do Skype for interviews in the future, if that's the only practical way to do those. I'm working on some other items though that might be treats for listeners.

Thanks for the comment, Mr. Progger! Your mention of us in your blog was one of our earliest mentions in music media, and it really gave us a nice boost.

Mike

FYI, our Foxtrot episode should be going live tomorrow (Friday, Jan. 22).

Mike

FYI, the episode is live now, on our website and on I-Tunes.

Thanks!
    Mike
    Last edited by zorknapp; 01-22-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Suspended
    Congratulations, guys, I just listened to the Foxtrot podcast and I think it's your best yet. Of course that is in no way coloured by the fact that I think Foxtrot is the best out of the albums you have discussed so far.

Congratulations, guys, I just listened to the Foxtrot podcast and I think it's your best yet. Of course that is in no way coloured by the fact that I think Foxtrot is the best out of the albums you have discussed so far.
    Your check is in the mail.

Honestly, though, thanks for the kind words. As we were talking about Supper's Ready, I thought we were perhaps being a bit too "careful" in our discussion, but upon listening to it, I actually think it was fine.

Mike

Listening right now (inter alia to see if someone else thinks Foxtrot is just a tad bit overrated).
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Listening right now (inter alia to see if someone else thinks Foxtrot is just a tad bit overrated).
    I came out of that podcast thinking that I had perhaps been UNDERRATING Foxtrot, and that it might now move up from no. 3 to no. 2 in my ranking.