Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tabletop Genesis - Podcast

New episode now live, an interview with Ant Phillips, focusing on his solo career.

Honestly, we figured that he'd been asked about his time in Genesis forever, so we really wanted to give his solo work its due.

You can find us at I-Tunes and at tabletopgenesis.com

Hope you enjoy!
    Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

cool interview! I do need to hear more of his solo career beyond The Geese and the Ghost.

The Brian Eno comparison isn't a bad one.

I recall including "Sides" recently on the 1979 albums calendar I made in my blog (
    http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...endar-and.html "A Curious Feeling" as well), but the truth is, I have not heard it. But per this interview, I definitely want to check it out now.

But he has a huge catalog, which seems like something that may be a trial and error or just a guessing game on what may appeal to me and what may not.

I do see his records on occasion on Vinyl at used stores in the Twin Cities, even beyond The Geese and the Ghost. The next time I see one, I'll have to think about picking it up, more than before.

After Geese and the Ghost, I'd actually have two different recommendations, very different from each other.

The first is 1984. All instrumental, very synth heavy. But very cool.

The second is the first Private Parts & Pieces compilation.

Also, the new box Harvest of the Heart is a great starting point, for a diverse sampling of his work.

Glad you enjoyed the interview!

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

New episode out, focusing on the last Genesis studio album, Calling All Stations:

http://tabletopgenesis.com/tabletop-...-all-stations/

Available on I-tunes also, if you don't want to listen direct from the website...

Thanks!
    Mike

just finished the new episode.

I enjoyed the discussion as usual.

I was a little surprised no mention of Nick D'Virgilio and actually with the Kevin Gilbert comment from Simon, I couldn't help but think of Neal Morse.

I haven't listened to Calling All Stations in almost 20 years from memory. I remember thinking it sounded a little like the latest Marillion album at the time (This Strange Engine) and Ray Wilson reminding me of Steve Hogarth in some ways.

In now hearing some of it again, not Hogarth, but Ray sounds INCREDIBLY like Neal Morse. He is basically Neal Morse with a little bit of a Rasp to his voice.

I think beyond the Kevin Gilbert parallel universe feeling (something I've mentioned with CAS in I think multiple videos, 1 on the series I did about Genesis, the other about Kevin I think), I just struggle with Ray's voice and much like a lot of the comments, THE MUSIC and SONGWRITING.

Although I would/would-have welcomed something more modern, heavy, textured (like Marillion), etc compared to the 80's albums and We Can't Dance, it didn't ultimately do a lot with this album.

I guess in hearing The Dividing Line though, that is probably the best thing this record gave us. If I made a Top 25 or 30 Genesis songs list, that may have an outside shot at making it (or at least an HM).

That and Congo which I do remember well being on the radio at points and being the token single for this album. But while it was Genesis, it didn't really resemble them; i.e. if you played it randomly to me or someone else, I would never think "Oh, that sounds like Genesis."

Actually a lot of this album resembles Pink Floyd it seems, more than Genesis, which I would say in making comparisons, a lot of the H-period Marillion ends up being.

Our latest episode, an interview with Jerry Marotta, is out now...

http://tabletopgenesis.com/tabletop-...jerry-marotta/

Enjoy!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    Our latest episode, an interview with Jerry Marotta, is out now...

http://tabletopgenesis.com/tabletop-...jerry-marotta/

Enjoy!
    Mike
    Fun episode. Jerry's quite a character. I've enjoyed all the interview episodes to date. Good job!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    Fun episode. Jerry's quite a character. I've enjoyed all the interview episodes to date. Good job!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Yes! He's a great guy, and we had a lot of fun chatting both before and after recording the actual episode. He's someone who really lives and breathes music.

Mike

my wife who loves Hall & Oates had never heard of him, lol.

Granted, she only likes the 80's Genesis and not much if any Peter Gabriel.

New episode out, focusing on Selling England by the Pound: http://bit.ly/2kTRIKo

Also on I-Tunes.

This episode includes bits of our chat with Steve Hackett, where we asked him for brief impressions of the album, track by track.

Enjoy!
    Mike

great episode.

I too always thought when they say "I'm just a lawnmower" was some sort of metaphor or the actual lawnmower speaking, lol.

The Caddyshack line "all I do is mow lawns for a living" (Bill Murray as Carl) might have worked better grammatically, lol.

Also Epping Forest I would say is 1 of those tracks at 1st it's hard to digest, but over time is incredibly rewarding and grows on you a ton. While I love some others on this album more, namely Cinema Show, which I consider the best Genesis track ever written, Epping Forest really is something. The comparisons to some others like Get Em Out by Friday and Harold the Barrel makes sense, but I think Epping Forest they perfected it. Even as wordy and busy as Gabriel's vocals get. I think it was an experiment that somehow worked....Now live?..yeah I can see why after Peter left it never was done. A bit like how Hogarth won't sing Assassing as it's such a Fish-track. Or how Rush never played the Fountain of Lamneth. But even taking excerpts would have been nice, but I dunno if Phil ever wanted to tackle those characterized vocals.

FYI, our latest episode, focusing on Seconds Out, is now live and ready for listening...

Mike

... and it's a goody! I think you did well doing the redux. There was certainly more to say about this record than what you'd covered originally. Glad you chose to focus in the performance aspect rather than the songs since, as you mentioned in the podcast, you haven't tackled A Trick of the Tail yet.

Oh, and this version of Supper's Ready gets a slight edge in my opinion, but that's because (a) I heard it first on Second's Out, and (2) being played live, it has a different kind of energy to it.

I think the first time around, we really hadn't determined how we would handle the live albums. Now we've basically decided to give the major ones their due...

Mike

So, Genesis Live and Three Sides Live, but not The Way We Walk: The Longs / The Shorts or When in Rome?

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    So, Genesis Live and Three Sides Live, but not The Way We Walk: The Longs / The Shorts or When in Rome?
    Don't quote me on this, because our loose plans can always change, but I'd say this approach is probably how we might go. I could actually see us doing TWWW, and *maybe* Live Over Europe at some point, but probably a bit further down the road.

Then again, we may decide to record eps for those tomorrow. We're fickle that way.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I first came across your podcasts about 6months ago and I've just managed to get up to date so can confirm that I've now heard all of them.
    There's just 3 Genesis studio albums left for you to cover now (FGTR, Lamb and Trick) so I can see how you might be wondering how to format future shows other than by delving into solo, live and compilation albums.

The latest "Seconds Out" episode gave me an idea as to how I would be interested to hear you discuss what Genesis did live:

I think it would be interesting for you to take on the live material by discussing individual tours. The setlist for almost every tour was put together to promote the latest studio album so you could discuss which tracks were selected from that album, which weren't, what songs had to be dropped from the previous tour to make way for the new stuff, which "oldies" were brought out of retirement, the "medleys" and where official recordings from that tour can be found (on live albums, B-sides, anthologies, videos etc.)

For example "Genesis Live" would feature as an example of recordings from the Foxtrot tour whilst the "Selling England" tours are represented by the Rainbow Theatre recordings on the "Genesis Live 1973-2007" box bonus disc, the "Archive 1967-1975" collection (disc 3) and the Shepperton film (Genesis 1970-75 box).

I would also be interested to hear an episode covering the recordings made between FGTR and Trespass namely the material released on disc 4 of the "Archive 1967-1975" collection and the extras disc in the Genesis 1970-75 box.

Hope this provides food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    Hello Mike,

I first came across your podcasts about 6months ago and I've just managed to get up to date so can confirm that I've now heard all of them.
    There's just 3 Genesis studio albums left for you to cover now (FGTR, Lamb and Trick) so I can see how you might be wondering how to format future shows other than by delving into solo, live and compilation albums.

The latest "Seconds Out" episode gave me an idea as to how I would be interested to hear you discuss what Genesis did live:

I think it would be interesting for you to take on the live material by discussing individual tours. The setlist for almost every tour was put together to promote the latest studio album so you could discuss which tracks were selected from that album, which weren't, what songs had to be dropped from the previous tour to make way for the new stuff, which "oldies" were brought out of retirement, the "medleys" and where official recordings from that tour can be found (on live albums, B-sides, anthologies, videos etc.)

For example "Genesis Live" would feature as an example of recordings from the Foxtrot tour whilst the "Selling England" tours are represented by the Rainbow Theatre recordings on the "Genesis Live 1973-2007" box bonus disc, the "Archive 1967-1975" collection (disc 3) and the Shepperton film (Genesis 1970-75 box).

I would also be interested to hear an episode covering the recordings made between FGTR and Trespass namely the material released on disc 4 of the "Archive 1967-1975" collection and the extras disc in the Genesis 1970-75 box.

Hope this provides food for thought.
    Hey! Thanks for listening, it's much appreciated.

Our next episode will concentrate on FGTR, coming out later this month.

We've had discussions about how to move forward after finishing the "main sequence" albums. There's plenty of solo albums still to cover, and we've talked about what I call "theme" episodes, which we've done some of already (talking about tribute bands, for example). And, of course, the live albums too... We're at least going to cover LIVE and TSL.

I think what will happen is that we'll figure out what we want to talk about, and do that. I think your tour idea is a good one, as has been in line with some of our discussions about how to move forward.

It's interesting though. We may just decide that we did what we set out to do, and call it a day... You never know. I think we'll always do some shows, but perhaps not as regularly? The future is hazy...

Thanks!
    Mike

Hi all,

We've had a bit of a delay since our last episode, as Simon (who does all the post production on the episodes) has been busy with his own musical career, so a free podcast takes a lower priority.

However, we are getting together this weekend to record two new episodes, and we have one in the can (From Genesis to Revelation) that will be up later this month, or perhaps in May? I'll know more after this weekend.

Thanks to all for listening, I think it's amazing that we've actually developed an audience for this show. I thought if we got 20 people to listen, that would be a success. We have at least 21 on a regular basis...

Also, we have some good interviews lined up, one 90% confirmed, the other one I'd say about 70% confirmed. Once they're done, I'll let you know about them.

Thanks!
    Mike

Hi all!

FYI, the Tabletop is getting together this weekend to record wraparounds for two interview that we've done this past June.

We also have three full episodes in the can, so we have a plethora of content coming down the pike.

Simon, who does all of our post-production, was busy finishing off the latest Shineback album, so work for free on the podcast had to take a bit of a backseat, and understandably so!

I'll post here when I have a better idea of when new episodes will be out...

Mike

Thanks for the update! I was wondering what was happening but figured it must be some kind of logistical alignment issue. Can't wait for the Tony Banks interview. ("Five" is a fabulous album, too).

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Thanks for the update! I was wondering what was happening but figured it must be some kind of logistical alignment issue. Can't wait for the Tony Banks interview. ("Five" is a fabulous album, too).
    You're in luck then, as Tony and I spend a good chunk of the interview (the first third? I haven't timed it out) going through Five track by track.

We talk mainly about his solo career, although of course Genesis comes up. But I really wanted to focus on his solo records, as those don't get talked about as much. I think the only one we really didn't go into was Strictly Inc., and that was mainly because of time limitations.

Thanks for listening!
    Mike

Had a chance to listen to Chapter 26, Seconds Out Redux and enjoyed it very much.
    I am now on a quest to track down a better sounding copy than my Definitive Remastered Version which to my ears has always sounded rather dull and lifeless. Like many folks, I had the original at one time but gave it away when I got the Remastered version.
    I'm looking at either picking up the double album on vinyl or a great sounding cd version of Seconds Out.
    Any suggestions? I was listening to your copy through my Sony MDR-7506 headphones and Focusrite audio interface, and it sounded a whole lot better than my copy.

As a big Tony Banks fan I'm looking forward to your interview with him, and I'm glad you're focusing on his solo stuff. I think the Genesis era with Tony has pretty much discussed until the cows come home.

Thanks again for your labor of love and for providing these podcasts for us to enjoy.
    I'm also a big Simon Godfrey fan, especially his work with Tinyfish. Good to see he's on board doing post production.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Had a chance to listen to Chapter 26, Seconds Out Redux and enjoyed it very much.
    I am now on a quest to track down a better sounding copy than my Definitive Remastered Version which to my ears has always sounded rather dull and lifeless. Like many folks, I had the original at one time but gave it away when I got the Remastered version.
    I'm looking at either picking up the double album on vinyl or a great sounding cd version of Seconds Out.
    Any suggestions? I was listening to your copy through my Sony MDR-7506 headphones and Focusrite audio interface, and it sounded a whole lot better than my copy.

As a big Tony Banks fan I'm looking forward to your interview with him, and I'm glad you're focusing on his solo stuff. I think the Genesis era with Tony has pretty much discussed until the cows come home.

Thanks again for your labor of love and for providing these podcasts for us to enjoy.
    I'm also a big Simon Godfrey fan, especially his work with Tinyfish. Good to see he's on board doing post production.
    And of course, Simon is 1/5 of the speaking Tabletop team!

I believe Simon uses the remixes when putting music into the podcasts for the Genesis albums, and I will confirm that when we chat this weekend.

And yes, I agree, Tony's talked about Genesis plenty. I would love to do a 'deep dive' with him into Genesis questions that he doesn't get asked much, or at all, but I'd also want much more time with him to do so. We had about an hour tops, so time was limited. Still, he's always a good interview...

Thanks for listening!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    And of course, Simon is 1/5 of the speaking Tabletop team!

I believe Simon uses the remixes when putting music into the podcasts for the Genesis albums, and I will confirm that when we chat this weekend.

And yes, I agree, Tony's talked about Genesis plenty. I would love to do a 'deep dive' with him into Genesis questions that he doesn't get asked much, or at all, but I'd also want much more time with him to do so. We had about an hour tops, so time was limited. Still, he's always a good interview...

Thanks for listening!
    Mike
    Thank you so much. Funny you believe it was possibly from the 2007 Remixes by Nick Davis because I am not a fan of those remixes at all. I have them from Trespass through Calling on Stations on cd(bought individually), and recently purchased the 1983-1998 on vinyl, but never got the Seconds Out version...
    but the debate on those mixes continues.........lol

thanks again
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457