Thread: FEATURED CD - I Mother Earth : Blue Green Orange

FEATURED CD - I Mother Earth : Blue Green Orange

Per Allmusic:
    I Mother Earth's third record is notable for being their first with new vocalist Brian Byrne taking over for longtime frontman Edwin, but since brothers and primary songwriters Jagori and Christian Tanna remain the creative force behind the group, Blue Green Orange will feel familiar to longtime fans. The quartet is more musically adventurous than their '90s Canadian alternative rock counterparts, and Blue Green Orange places a greater emphasis on extended instrumental sections and complex arrangements -- something the band would explore further on their next album, The Quicksilver Meat Dream. Less restricted by former vocalist Edwin's diverging creative input, the Tanna brothers have distanced themselves from post-grunge and delved into spatial jam rock territory. The increased use of African percussion on "All Awake" and the Santana-esque epic "Summertime in the Void" show off their impressive musical chops (especially the understated bass playing of Bruce Gordon), although their propensity for long pieces has somewhat dulled the visceral edge found in the Edwin incarnation of the group. Edwin may have also been the main proponent of more compact, pop-driven singles, since there isn't an obvious rock radio single among the album's 11 compositions. The only exception is the out-of-place rock ballad "When Did You Get Back from Mars?" which is the one instance where the hoarse-throated Byrne gets first billing.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/blue-g...e-mw0000454475

Regards,

Duncan

Suspended
    So what is the name of the album? "Blue Green Orange", or "Blue Orange Green"?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    So what is the name of the album? "Blue Green Orange", or "Blue Orange Green"?
    Fixed it
    Regards,

Duncan

The name sounds familiar but I don't know this band. Were they fairly well known in the alternative scene in the 90's? I could be thinking of someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The name sounds familiar but I don't know this band. Were they fairly well known in the alternative scene in the 90's? I could be thinking of someone else.
    "I Mother Earth" got a lot of play on radio with the songs,"Rain Will Fall" and "One More Astronaut" back in the 90s. They opened for Dream Theater during the Awake tour. Edwin, IME's original lead singer, also was the lead singer on most of the tracks for Alex Lifeson's solo project, "Victor".

To be honest, I lost track of IME after Edwin left. I knew about this album, but never aware enough to pick it up.

I don't own any of their albums but One More Astronaut is a killer track that was on the radio a lot up here north of Toronto.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Could never get into the later albums with the second singer but I loved the first two. Standout tracks are "Earth, Sky And C", "Like A Girl" and "Used To Be Alright". Good band, good rhythm section.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I can't say I distinctly remember "one more astronaut"(I just listened to it on youtube)but I'm sure I heard it at one point or another. I spent an entire summer in New England in 1996 listening to a modern rock station that played this kind of stuff. Of course I don't remember every song they played but I'm sure I heard it at some point.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-27-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Geddy Lee plays bass on one track on this album. I might have to pull this out again.

Had a hard time getting into this band. I saw them open for Dream Theater back in the day, but don't remember them doing much for me.

"Dig" is the band's only "must own" album, imo... It's easily a top 20 of the 1990s release for me. Saw them a few times that year as they kept playing in Montreal, supported by another Toronto upstart band of the day: Our Lady Peace. IME would blow them off the stage every time!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Yes, Yves, you hooked me up with 'Dig' back in the SFC days . I 'dug' it! Gonna have to dust that one off.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

It kicks up now and again in my extensive "Grunge/ 90s Rock" playlist. It has stood the test of time , imo...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-