Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett on Jimmy Falon Show

Steve Hackett on Jimmy Falon Show

Jimmy displayed a picture of Genesis from around 1973, focused on Steve Hackett with beard & mustache in the photo. Jimmy then tried to appear like Steve by doning a disguise as one of his comedy bits. Old Genesis getting a moment of national attention based on a comedy lark. You can't write this stuff!

Link?

Jimmy Fallon is a jackass. Last week, he did a segment called "Books Not To Read" or something like that. One of the books was an instructional book by flautist Robert Dick called The Other Flute. This led to him and his Ed McMahon wannabe of an announcer trading penis jokes for about two minutes. Definition of "juvenile" humor. Oy!

Wow, for a second I thought Steve Hackett was a guest on the show. Dude, you need to be careful with how you phrase things. Are you trying to give us a heart attack or something?
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-26-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Sorry . . no link yet. Saw it live tonight.

WeatherWiseCDC
    It's a frequent segment on Fallon's show where he accepts suggestions from viewers about who he resembles. Then he'll try to dress up as them and do a side-by-side comparison.

3:00 mark of this video:

Love jimmy, he did a great job as neil young.

Frankly, I chuckled. Thought that was pretty funny/silly. They DO look similar, especially in the eyes.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Yeah, I think Jimmy Fallon is great. That his humor might be less appreciated here isn't a shock, though.

This can only indicate one thing: progloproggy is coming back with full force and immensely devastating importance in popular culture, and its name must be Genesis. And sound like them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This can only indicate one thing: progloproggy is coming back with full force and immensely devastating importance in popular culture, and its name must be Genesis. And sound like them.
    Thank the holy GOD that Phil Collins has already retired, or he would totally show up and ruin the whole resurgence with his bum-shaking pop antics

STEVE HACKETT FOR PRESIDENT 2016
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, I think Jimmy Fallon is great.
    Big fan here. I love watching him get these uptight celebrities to do silly stuff. And no one on the show takes themselves too seriously.

I, for one, welcome our Neoneoprog overlords.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I, for one, welcome our Neoneoprog overlords.
    You're not sufficiently exact in your precision of specifics here; it's neo/post-metasubprog gone ultra-tense. This is somewhat different from neoneo, but just alittabitta.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, I think Jimmy Fallon is great. That his humor might be less appreciated here isn't a shock, though.
    You're damn right!

There are times when I think Fallon is too good for late night talk show tv, but he has the knack of making his comedy accessible to all levels of intelligence.

I have no problem with people who think Fallon sucks, since there's a shitload of comedians that made/make a fortune and people love that I'll never "get".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Like Fallon ---a big improvement to the last host----STeve could use the PR right on the heels of his new album lol---that was cool.

You're not sufficiently exact in your precision of specifics here; it's neo/post-metasubprog gone ultra-tense. This is somewhat different from neoneo, but just alittabitta.
    Sigh...I always screw that up.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

the youtube cut it off but the roots played the segment out with that's all clearly not doing their research on steve hackett...

it was strange cause i generally do not watch the show but for some reason i had it on as i was checking my email before i went to bed and i looked up and saw steve hackett! serendipitous i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    the youtube cut it off but the roots played the segment out with that's all clearly not doing their research on steve hackett...
    Neither did Jimmy, he called Hackett "this dude." I like Fallon and I like The Roots, but they're all too young to known anything about our "old people music."

BTW gojikrantz, is your caps key busted? Just wondering.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Wow, for a second I thought Jimmy Fallon was a guest on the show. Dude, you need to be careful with how you phrase things.
    Why would Jimmy Fallon be a guest on The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon?

just a lazy youth, I(that was too much effort) do try and spell things correctly though.

Fallon is great, and I thought the skit was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    Hey, for them to even make the connection for this audience between Steve and Genesis was a win for Steve. Like they say, "Any publicity..."
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Plus, they want to play something that the audience can relate to. Play part of "Return of the Giant Hogweed" and no one is going to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Plus, they want to play something that the audience can relate to. Play part of "Return of the Giant Hogweed" and no one is going to get it.
    After reading the fastest way to clear a room thread, I'd guess that if they had played a snippet of "Hogweed," the audience might have gotten up and left.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Jimmy Fallon is a jackass. Last week, he did a segment called "Books Not To Read" or something like that. One of the books was an instructional book by flautist Robert Dick called The Other Flute. This led to him and his Ed McMahon wannabe of an announcer trading penis jokes for about two minutes. Definition of "juvenile" humor. Oy!
    I find Fallon to be a smarmy, mostly-unfunny shithead. I understand that not everybody can be Conan, but still.

Humor is totally subjective, though, so if others think he's funny... then I guess he is.