Thread: Porcupine Tree Question??

Porcupine Tree Question??

Are the vocals Double Tracked by Wilson in these two songs,Heart Attack in a Lay By and Mellotron Scratch??

i think so...live he'd have John Wesley harmonize with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    X2
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Or use programmed backing tracks, as he does to get the huge vocal harmonies he does live with his solo band. There's only so much Nick Beggs can do as one backing vocalist

i personally find the harmonized passages he does to be one of his strong-suits...but then again i like layered falsetto singing (Cedric of The Mars Volta was great at this but live was disastrous), high pitches, etc.

Suspended
    Yes I believe on the studio recordings it's his own voice double-tracked, or in some cases multi-tracked. It's one of the things I love about his work, the way he uses harmonies in a manner reminiscent of Crosby Stills & Nash.

Other fine examples are Lips of Ashes, and Octane Twisted/The Seance.

Multi, I'd say. Often more layers than you think.

MPc: Where did that come from?

SW: Listening to a lot of Brian Wilson record, a lot of Todd Rundgren records, a lot of Crosby, Stills & Nash. Anyone where there's just fantastic, multi-layered, different vocal parts, overlapping vocal parts. I love all that stuff. I totally—about the time of Porcupine Tree made an album called Stupid Dream in I think 1999 or 2000… anyway… Well, that was the first time I really got into vocal arranging. I think I'd done a little bit on Signify. But the whole period of time then, I was totally obsessed with the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson, as many people have been over the years. And that started me, it really started me off in making vocal orientated music. Because until that point, Porcupine Tree had really been an instrumental band with occasional vocal. If you listen to any of the first three albums, there's a couple of songs, but they're primarily instrumental and the vocals are like just another part. And then suddenly I get into this idea of writing songs which are really vocal-led for the first time and it was really listening to people like what Brian Wilson could do with a voice and Todd [Rundgren] and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young guys. Because I never felt my voice on its own was that strong, but then when I heard what you could do with layering of voices, it opened up that whole area of possibilities for me.

My voice is not strong but, you know what? Neither is Brian Wilson's voice. And listen what he does when he sings… you know? Yeah, so that was that.

http://www.musicplayers.com/features...evenWilson.php

Suspended
    ^^ Those two Wilsons really should get together. they could produce something quite magical.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ Those two Wilsons really should get together. they could produce something quite magical.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thanks for posting the link, Sterbus! Good interview.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold