Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young Frank Zappa

Young Frank Zappa

On the cover of "Memories of El Monte" with Art laboe in a crowd scene at The El Monte Legion Stadium... Just a few miles from Cucamonga.

Fu manchu-less prolly 16 or even younger... Heavy Doo Wop oldies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 03-25-2015 at 01:49 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Still alive and well...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    On the cover of "Memories of El Monte" with Art laboe in a crowd scene at The El Monte Legion Stadium... Just a few miles from Cucamonga.

Fu manchu-less prolly 16 or even younger... Heavy Doo Wop oldies.
    looɔ ʎʇʇǝɹd

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    looɔ ʎʇʇǝɹd
    How the hell did you do that? I'm gonna lose sleep over this.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I turned my keyboard so that the spacebar was at the top.

Hung up on my Weesa, she is so divine. Buncha pictures from that era in The Real Frank Zappa Book, and yeah, he looked like that guy that was always getting locked inside his locker by the quarterback.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    How the hell did you do that?

pɹɐoqʎǝʞ uʍop ǝpᴉsdn 'pᴉɐs ǝɥ ǝʞᴉl

Note, you can't do capital letters with your keyboard upside down because the ⇧Shift key is pointing down.

/ɯoɔ˙ʇxǝʇuʍopǝpᴉsdn˙ʍʍʍ//:dʇʇɥ ǝʇᴉsqǝʍ sᴉɥʇ ǝsn plnoɥs no⅄

There's a youtube clip of Frank playing a bicycle on the tonight show when he's about fourteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    There's a youtube clip of Frank playing a bicycle on the tonight show when he's about fourteen.
    He was 22.

Frank's love of doo-wop validates his musical acumen.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Frank's love of doo-wop validates his musical acumen.
    He was friends with art laboe, many doo wop singers and bands, and wrote some of their songs... Even plays instruments on some... The penguins, the paragons... Probably more... He did that stuff very young... The el monte legion stadium was a big deal in the 50s. Rock and doo wop shows every weekend.

Frank was very well connected even at an early age.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 03-25-2015 at 06:43 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Haha... Sorry bout the up side down.
    Still alive and well...

I started singing in acapella doo-wop groups under the "el" ("Looking For An Echo") in Queens when I was 12 (1957). I went to every Alan Freed show at the Brooklyn Paramount and the Brooklyn Fox.

Groups like The Paragons, The Penguins (who recorded a song called "Memories Of El Monte"), The Channels, The Heartbeats, The Cleftones, The Teenagers, The Moonglows and a thousand other doo-wop groups, white, black & Hispanic, were the center of my universe. School sure as hell wasn't.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It wasn't the Tonight Show, it was The Steve Allen Show, which was a completely different program.

Love the old doo wop... Have collected many 45s over the years. Some classics. I play them every so often. The scene appears to have been peacefully multi racial... Seems like it was a good scene... I was born in 57 so missed all that.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    /ɯoɔ˙ʇxǝʇuʍopǝpᴉsdn˙ʍʍʍ//:dʇʇɥ ǝʇᴉsqǝʍ sᴉɥʇ ǝsn plnoɥs no⅄
    sʞuɐɥ┴
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

ɐᴉlɐɹʇsnɐ uᴉ ɐddɐz

Hahahahah
    Still alive and well...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    well, that was awkward
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I picked up this 5 disc set which features FZ's first recordings and guitar playing on record. It's mostly obscure Southern California rock & roll, and surf music recorded from early to late 60s. Also includes the audio from the Steve Allen Show appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    well, that was awkward
    I always thought it was hilarious. The thing that's brilliant is that the two of them are playing off each other, for instance, when Steve asks Frank how long he's been playing the bicycle and he says "About two weeks" and Steve shoots back with, "You must have been thinking, 'What can I do that will get me on the Steve Allen Show'" (which I think is exactly what happened, because you note at the end Frank mentions doing the music for The World's Greatest Sinner, which I think is the real reason he's there, to plug "the world's worst movie", as he describes it).

And it's great that neither of them are particularly taking the matter seriously. Frank can't stop laughing through chunks of the interview. And I've always loved the ending where Steve says something like, "I think I speak for everyone here when I say don't come around hear again!". He was great at those kind of lines.

One thing I've never been sure of is after they come back from the commercial break, Steve mentions that what Frank was doing was not unlike some of the contemporary classical music that was coming from Europe at the time. I've never been sure if he was complimenting Frank, or putting down the contemporary classical music guys. Ya know, in the same way that some people look at modern art, and says "My 4 year old could do the same thing". With Steve, you were never sure (as per the time he recited Be-Bop-A-Lula as a spoken word piece).

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I picked up this 5 disc set which features FZ's first recordings and guitar playing on record. It's mostly obscure Southern California rock & roll, and surf music recorded from early to late 60s. Also includes the audio from the Steve Allen Show appearance.

Is that the same Ray Collins who sang with the MOI?