Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Young Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Is that the same Ray Collins who sang with the MOI?
    Yes. Frank and Ray were friends as kids.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yes. Frank and Ray were friends as kids.
    No they weren't.

iirc, Ray and Paul Buff were long-time friends. That's how Frank and Ray met; through Paul Buff.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I always thought it was hilarious. The thing that's brilliant is that the two of them are playing off each other, for instance, when Steve asks Frank how long he's been playing the bicycle and he says "About two weeks" and Steve shoots back with, "You must have been thinking, 'What can I do that will get me on the Steve Allen Show'" (which I think is exactly what happened, because you note at the end Frank mentions doing the music for The World's Greatest Sinner, which I think is the real reason he's there, to plug "the world's worst movie", as he describes it).

And it's great that neither of them are particularly taking the matter seriously. Frank can't stop laughing through chunks of the interview. And I've always loved the ending where Steve says something like, "I think I speak for everyone here when I say don't come around hear again!". He was great at those kind of lines.

One thing I've never been sure of is after they come back from the commercial break, Steve mentions that what Frank was doing was not unlike some of the contemporary classical music that was coming from Europe at the time. I've never been sure if he was complimenting Frank, or putting down the contemporary classical music guys. Ya know, in the same way that some people look at modern art, and says "My 4 year old could do the same thing". With Steve, you were never sure (as per the time he recited Be-Bop-A-Lula as a spoken word piece).
    Interesting observations. What I notice is that they both see the humor and absurdity of it all, but likely in different ways. I don't see a real connection. Certainly, I don't think the two would have connected on much at all, anyway.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    No they weren't.

iirc, Ray and Paul Buff were long-time friends. That's how Frank and Ray met; through Paul Buff.
    Yikes you're right. Who was I thinking of?

I read some of FZs autobiographical account of his earlier years and there seems to be some pretty big gaps... Not sure if he mentioned El monte legion stadium, or his time and associations in laurel canyon during the Manson years.
    Still alive and well...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Steve Allen was somewhat of an elitist ass. He hated rock-n-roll. Brought Elvis on his show to mock him. Reciting rock lyrics was his way of poking fun at it.

It did seem Zappa was pulling a fast one, not being totally serious about playing that bike and having the announcer guy recite a nursery rhyme during the "music". It was like an early version of stupid human tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Steve Allen was somewhat of an elitist ass. He hated rock-n-roll. Brought Elvis on his show to mock him. Reciting rock lyrics was his way of poking fun at it.
    I think the Elvis gag, with him singing to Hound Dog to a basset hound was more about figuring out a way to present a controversial performer in a way that wouldn't piss off the network sheriffs. Yeah, it looked ridiculous (and reportedly, Elvis was pissed at Parker for letting it happen that way), but it worked, didn't it?

Steve Allen reportedly had no love for rock n roll, but I think he knew how to make fun of things like that without being too condescending. I'll certainly take it over Frank's openly disparaging attitude toward mainstream rock music.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I picked up this 5 disc set which features FZ's first recordings and guitar playing on record. It's mostly obscure Southern California rock & roll, and surf music recorded from early to late 60s. Also includes the audio from the Steve Allen Show appearance.

All the audio of the Steve All show?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    All the audio of the Steve All show?
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    No they weren't.

And Frank bought Pal studio from Buff, and renamed it Studio Z.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I used to have most or all of Ronnie James Dio's doo wop recordings. last time I thinned out the heard, they got tossed