Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Incompetent soundmen

The story about Templeman appears to be BS... I didn't realize he had a career as a musician going back many years prior to being hired as a producer at WB. So he didn't start out with the Doobies at all.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The story about Templeman appears to be BS... I didn't realize he had a career as a musician going back many years prior to being hired as a producer at WB. So he didn't start out with the Doobies at all.
    Oh well, there's always the story of Fee Waybill, who started out as a roadie for a band which would become The Tubes and he would become their lead singer. FWIW, I think he's one of the best lead singers rock has ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Oh well, there's always the story of Fee Waybill, who started out as a roadie for a band which would become The Tubes and he would become their lead singer. FWIW, I think he's one of the best lead singers rock has ever known.
    There's only one Fee Waybill. Embarrassingly, I regret missing them TWICE within the last 18 months just two miles from my home. I did see The Tubes back in '79 at a local community college. Still, probably the best show I've ever seen.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm a mediocre musician at best and barely functional as a soundman...and I don't care what anyone thinks of that.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Sorry, I guess I should have finished the thought.

"Good musicians play. Mediocre musicians teach. Terrible musicians become soundmen... or CRITICS."

Better?
    No, Velvet Underground fans become critics.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I don't know how far back his career goes. I seem to recall he was in a group called Harper's Bizarre, who's big claim to fame was recording the theme song to the movie I Love You Alice B. Toklas (great picture, btw). Dunno what else he did besides that.

Also, if he was merely "the Doobie Brothers' coke dealer", that wouldn't explain him somehow managing to produce Captain Beefheart. I think Zoot Horn Roll said that Templeman was the first person who had the mivonks to tell Beefheart to STFU, which ZHR found "refreshing".

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Consider the source.

You're wasting your time with this one.

"The troll is string in this one, Master Yoda."

"Jedi he cannot be. Too troll. Yes! Too troll he is!"
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I went to the "Black & Blue" tour at Boston Garden in 1980. BOC came on first, and the sound was pretty much just an unbearable roar with a pounding noise behind it, at ridiculously painful levels. You could barely make out what was being played. We bailed before BOC finished and never saw Sabbath.
    (Bailing on BS) THAT was a mistake...sorry you bailed. We saw it at MSG (a notoriously crummy sound venue) and it actually sounded fairly good (But a bit too loud)