Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BRUCE COCKBURN

I can highly recommend "Life Short Call Now" which is quite excellent and the live concert document "Slice O Life" which captures very nicely his acoustic tour which we were lucky to catch.

All of his records have something to recommend. And I'm not just saying that as a Canadian

For an example of his fine fine guitar playing, "Speechless" is also very good.

He's done some blistering electric work over the years on his own records and for other folks, btw. It's a mistake to pidgeonhole him as acoustic folk or whatever. As Yves said, he's had a very diverse and, for lack of a better word, progressive journey (coming out of the era when we weren't so tied to those terms and it was all rock music).

Geez i miss the FM radio of the 60s and 70s

Anyways, good stuff

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Hugues,

Circle in The Stream captures his mid 70s period. Personally, it would be the first album I would recommend to a newbie to Cockburn in general. If you cannot find anything to like on that record, chances are you won't be enamoured with the man's music in general, imo...

EDIT: For those averse to vocals, check out the compilation of his instrumentals called, aptly enough, "Speechless".
    Thanks, Yves

Actually, they do have Speechless on catalogue... and it says; recording 71 - 05 (Booker T apparently played organ on some of those tracks)

So I'll check that out first
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Speechless is also a great introduction to his various musical styles, since it does cover a large portion of his career. Of course, he's also a wonderful singer and poetic lyricist, so hopefully you eventually check out some of his other albums as well.

I recently began reading his memoir, as well. Excellent so far, he's quite a writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    He's done some blistering electric work over the years on his own records and for other folks, btw. It's a mistake to pidgeonhole him as acoustic folk or whatever.
    Kim
    The live CD You Pay Your Money And You Take Your Chance is a good document of his electric playing. Also 1994's Dart To The Heart, which rarely gets mentioned. It features some great songs including Burden Of The Angel Beast, and Southland Of The Heart.

If I ever manage to get my guitar out of storage, I should learn to play "Salt, Sun & Time." The sheet music is in the liner notes to my CD...unfortunately I need a microscope to read it.

"Rouler sa bosse" sounds playable, too. I just need to find someone to accompany me on clarinet. Hell, if my clarinet weren't stolen, I could multi-track and accompany myself!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    If I ever manage to get my guitar out of storage, I should learn to play "Salt, Sun & Time." The sheet music is in the liner notes to my CD...unfortunately I need a microscope to read it.

"Rouler sa bosse" sounds playable, too. I just need to find someone to accompany me on clarinet. Hell, if my clarinet weren't stolen, I could multi-track and accompany myself!
    Salt, Sun & Time is a great two-guitar acoustic record. I believe it was a guy named Eugene Martyneck on second guitar. I also like Hand Dancing from the other '74 album. That one always puts me in a trance. Nice tuning on that one.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    That's easily solved!

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...l=1#post387697