Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bands/singers you mix up.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    older Marillion = older IQ = Pendragon = Pallas = John Payne's Asia = Jadis = GPS = latter-day Saga

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Roine Stolt and Ethyl Merman
    I always thought that Axl Rose sounded like Ethel Merman.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

First time I heard Budapest by JT, i thought it was dire straits.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I always thought that Axl Rose sounded like Ethel Merman.
    Indeed. And have you noticed, you never see them in the same place at the same time?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    when my brother first heard She Said She Was A Dancer, he thought it was Dire Straits
    Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

A friend of mine compared Jethro Tull - Steel monkey with ZZ Top

I was listening recently to the Ian Anderson interview on the anniversary 'Aqualung' and he was saying how, at that time, he couldn't have written something like 'Budapest' (he was being a bit condescending towards 'Aqualung') can't remember the exact context but it was to do with maturity, experience, yadda yadda. Sorry Ian, but if my house is on fire I'm going to be grabbing Aqualung long before CoaK pops into mind.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I was listening recently to the Ian Anderson interview on the anniversary 'Aqualung' and he was saying how, at that time, he couldn't have written something like 'Budapest' (he was being a bit condescending towards 'Aqualung') can't remember the exact context but it was to do with maturity, experience, yadda yadda. Sorry Ian, but if my house is on fire I'm going to be grabbing Aqualung long before CoaK pops into mind.
    I don't know "Budapest", but would I be right in surmising that it's a different song from that awful ditty by George Ezra that you couldn't get away from a few months ago? Fuck I hate that song.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I don't know "Budapest" .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iKuHv0imaI

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Hmm, I like the musical accompaniment more than the song itself. Still it sure beats the crap out of that George Ezra thing.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 03-30-2015 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post

As for soundalikes -

Roxy Music, anyone?
    Funny you should bring that up. Once, a couple years ago, I was driving around with my friend Terri (well, she was driving, I was in the passenger seat), and we were listening to this old tape she found in her basement from the 80's. She couldn't place who some of the songs were by, so she puts it on, and at first I didn't know who it was either. I didn't recognize any of the songs, but we did pickup on the idea that singer had clearly spent a lot of time listening to Roxy Music. Then finally, after I don't know how long, it dawned on me that I recognized the singer's voice. I said, "I think I know who this is, the singer sounds like Iva Davies, therefore, I think this might be Icehouse". And it was. When I got home, I Googled some of the lyrics from a couple of the songs. It's just weird to me that it took me that long to recognize his voice. Dammit, I wore out side one of Man Of Colours when I was a teenager.

Punkish??? There was nothing remotely punkish about anything Joe Jackson did, he was firmly 70s pop/new wave, he sounded very similar to early Costello and Squeeze, Costello produced some of his stufff and some Squeeze stuff. He used keyboards, synths, even brass on some of his singles. Later he sounded similar to Steely Dan.

His best known single is definitely not punk!

His next best known single, again, nowhere near punk.

His third best known single, drenched in synths and keyboards, again nowhere near punk
    Steppin' Out was the big Stateside hit. I don't ever remember hearing Is She Really Going Out With Him until much, much, much later, like decades after the fact. Don't think I ever heard that second song.

BTW, I heard a good story someone told me about seeing him perform live probably 10 or 12 years ago. Seems some people in the first or second row were late to the show. They sort of made their way to their seats a few songs into the set, and Joe noticed this, I guess his eyes followed them as they made their way across the row, etc, then says "Sorry, if we'd know you were going to be late, we'd have waited for you".

Suspended
    I used to like joe Jackson. When he did that song "Real Men", I thought "Great, here's a man who's not afraid to use the word 'gay' in a non-deprecating manner." Lately however I've heard some things that make me think he's a bit of a wanker. Among other things, he's a militant campaigner for "smokers' rights".

---------------------------------------

Two Australian bands of the 1980s that I used to mix up were Spy vs Spy, and Hunters and Collectors. Their styles were quite similar, and the lead vocalists I found almost indistinguishable. Interestingly, H&C are remembered and respected to this day, while Spy vs Spy seem to be all but forgotten. That's probably because the Hunters had better songs.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Funny you should bring that up. Once, a couple years ago, I was driving around with my friend Terri (well, she was driving, I was in the passenger seat), and we were listening to this old tape she found in her basement from the 80's. She couldn't place who some of the songs were by, so she puts it on, and at first I didn't know who it was either. I didn't recognize any of the songs, but we did pickup on the idea that singer had clearly spent a lot of time listening to Roxy Music. Then finally, after I don't know how long, it dawned on me that I recognized the singer's voice. I said, "I think I know who this is, the singer sounds like Iva Davies, therefore, I think this might be Icehouse". And it was. When I got home, I Googled some of the lyrics from a couple of the songs. It's just weird to me that it took me that long to recognize his voice. Dammit, I wore out side one of Man Of Colours when I was a teenager.
    Chris - I think you would find the Shazam app (if you have a smartphone) to be very useful.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Nat King Cole and Bon Scott.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Chris - I think you would find the Shazam app (if you have a smartphone) to be very useful.
    Well, that's no fun! I kinda like the challenge of trying to identify something. And if one still comes up short, like I said, you could always google the song lyrics. And anyway, I don't have a smartphone in the first place.

I just think it's funny we drove around for like an hour (well, off and on over the course of an evening, Terri and I were going to hang out with some her friends, etc) before I realized I knew who the singer was.

I'll tell you, though, there is one song they play over the PA at work, it's driving me nuts that I can't figure out what it is, largely because it's not played loud enough so that one can discern the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    when my brother first heard She Said She Was A Dancer, he thought it was Dire Straits
    So did I! A few years ago I played Budapest for several friends that aren't into prog (or Dire Straits, for that matter), and EVERY single one of them when asked, said it was Dire Straits. Ian definitely adjusted his voice and Barre's guitar playing on both those tracks was straight out of the Knopfler book of licks, I have no doubt that it was clearly an attempt to sound like Dire Straits.
    Don't get me wrong though, I think Crest of a Knave is a fantastic album and in my top 5 JT albums

1. Songs from the Wood
    2.Christmas Album
    3. Benefit
    4. Aqualung
    5. Crest of a Knave
    6. Heavy Horses
    7. Rock Island
    8. Catfish Rising
    9. Roots to Branches
    10. Stormwatch