Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's new on heavy yet melodic metal?

I'm a moderate fan of the genre at best, but I recently discovered this and maybe it's up your alley.

Joel Hoekstra's 13: Joel is an acquaintance of mine, being that up until about 15 years ago he was a Chicagoan. He's actually a very versatile guitar player and made a couple of fusion-y albums earlier on, but after moving to NYC, he found himself in the metal arena; first getting a gig playing on the Broadway rock musical, "Rock of Ages," then joining Night Ranger and currently working with Whitesnake. This is his own project, featuring heavy hitters from the genre like Russell Allen and Vinnie Appice:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Nevermore. They may be the heaviest band to never use growling (among the ones I've heard at least).
    Loved them as Sanctuary, not so much as Nevermore.

I'll recommend Starbreaker. They used to be TNT in the 80s, then got a little heavier as SB. It was originally a side project for the singer, but he basically brought in most of TNT and they just changed their name.

A fantastic one-shot album that came out several years ago by Opus Dei still gets plenty of play by me. The album is called Tierra Tragame. After that they got a different singer that was awful, and they sounded very poppy. But that one album kicks serious butt.

Didn't see mention of Dead Soul Tribe. They're pretty dadgum good.

I've grown away from them, but The Butterfly Effect out of Australia might appeal to you.