Thread: RIP Michael Brown of the Left Banke

RIP Michael Brown of the Left Banke

I just found out that Michael Brown of the Left Banke has shuffled off this mortal coil this past Thursday (3/19). If he only wrote "Walk Away Renee" and "Pretty Ballerina" and nothing else, his legacy would be huge.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/left-...el-brown-dies/
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I just found out that Michael Brown of the Left Banke has shuffled off this mortal coil this past Thursday (3/19). If he only wrote "Walk Away Renee" and "Pretty Ballerina" and nothing else, his legacy would be huge.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/left-...el-brown-dies/
    That voice! Totally agree about his legacy. "Barterers And Their Wives" and "Shadows Breaking Over My Head" come close to Renee the Ballerina.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Sorry to read this.

That Left Banke debut was a 'holy grail' record for me for a while as everything of theirs was unavailable for years. I found a record of it in 2009 and played it a great deal, it was well worth the wait. Thankkfully the CD got reissued a few years back, it should always be in print. Self-penned albums were still rare at that time, and the band had a very clear sonic identity of their own with the harpsichord, not used by too many other rock groups.

The band themselves are sadly only known to collectors and 60s enthusiasts here, they had no UK hits. 'Walk Away Renee' took off here in a cover by The Four Tops, though, which is an oldies radio regular to this day.

Suspended
    I dare say very few people have heard the original version of Walk Away Renee; they would know the Four tops' cover of it, which wasn't too bad, and they might recall the Ricky Lee Jones version, which I thought was abysmal. But then I was never a big fan of Ms Jones.

Pretty Ballerina was a better song I think. I'm not quite sure what "baroque pop" is supposed to mean, but the song reminds me a little of songs by the Go-Betweens.

Judging from the video it appears as though he wasn't doing well for a number of years. Another one of those guys--e.g., Michael Kamen; Harry Palmer--who were on to something but couldn't quite manage to catch the necessary breaks/put it all together.
    I still have the original singles and the first LP. RIP....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what "baroque pop" is supposed to mean
    The harpsichord gave it that feel. Although 'Evening Gown' with the electric piano reminds me of The Seeds ('Pushin' Too Hard' etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The harpsichord gave it that feel. Although 'Evening Gown' with the electric piano reminds me of The Seeds ('Pushin' Too Hard' etc.).
    I definitely can hear the Seeds reference too. That song is really an anomaly on that album. On "Gown", I can at times hear (musically but NOT vocally) the 13th Floor Elevators.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'll have to revisit my lp's of Stories and Beckies, I liked them a lot 35+ years ago.
    I remember tomorrow