Thread: pre-70s C & W radio

pre-70s C & W radio

I know this isnt the best forum to ask this, but anyone got any tips on US radio stations that play old country, bluegrass, swing, western, Appalachian? For me it all started going wrong in the 70s when Crossover started.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I know this isnt the best forum to ask this, but anyone got any tips on US radio stations that play old country, bluegrass, swing, western, Appalachian? For me it all started going wrong in the 70s when Crossover started.
    Actually, "crossover" started in the 60's, and Chet Atkins (who worked for RCA's A&R department and was also a record producer, in addition to being a brilliant guitarist) was one of the architects of the so called "Nashville" sound.

Old timey country from the '30s to the '50s can be a thing of beauty, but finding a service that streams it might be an exercise in futility. You might have to do what I did, and buy or assemble some CDs of your own.

Here are some suggestions to get you started:
    • Vernon Dalhart
    • Charlie Poole & The North Carolina Ramblers
    • Gid Tanner & The Skillet Lickers
    • Carl T. Sprague
    • Carter Family
    • Jimmie Rodgers
    • Delmore Brothers
    • Mainer's Mountaineers
    • Roy Acuff and his Crazy Tennesseeans
    • Gene Autry & Jimmy Long
    • Sons of the Pioneers
    • Montana Slim
    • Mildred & Dorothy Good
    • Woody Guthrie & Cisco Houston
    • Patsy Montana
    • Bob Wills & his Texas Playboys
    • Leo Soileau & his 3 Aces
    • Ernest Tubb
    • Ted Duffan's Texans
    • Tex Ritter
    • Eddie Dean
    • Eddy Albert
    • Al Dexter & his Troopers
    • Leon Payne
    • Jack Guthrie & his Oklahomans

Thanks guys.

Go Here -

http://kdhx.org/

check out the Saturday afternoon programming

Down Yonder 11:00 - 1:00
    The Mid-Day Jamboree 1:00-3:00 central time
    The Back Country 3:00-5:00

You can stream live or listen to archived shows.

Everything you're looking for is right there (everything on rcarlberg's list and a whole lot more), and if you stick around they have a most excellent Brazilian (Radio Rio) show followed by 2 hours of Ska's The Limit. I spend my Saturdays glued to the radio working around the house then relaxing with BBQ pit and beers.

Ya know, it occurred to me, you might be able to come up with something via Pandora. Start a station with something like Bob Wills And The Texas Playboys or Carter Family, then if they play anything that sounds too "modern", you can simply tell it not play it again.

And count me amongst those who don't like "today's country". I watch the Marty Stuart Show on the RFD channel, and though he sometimes has some of that kind of stuff on, he also does a lot of traditional country which is quite enjoyable to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Go Here -

http://kdhx.org/

check out the Saturday afternoon programming

Down Yonder 11:00 - 1:00
    The Mid-Day Jamboree 1:00-3:00 central time
    The Back Country 3:00-5:00

You can stream live or listen to archived shows.

Everything you're looking for is right there (everything on rcarlberg's list and a whole lot more), and if you stick around they have a most excellent Brazilian (Radio Rio) show followed by 2 hours of Ska's The Limit. I spend my Saturdays glued to the radio working around the house then relaxing with BBQ pit and beers.
    My friend...to me, that sounds like a great plan for the Spring/Summer....thx.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Btw, Pandora isnt available in europe. But it is live stations and podcasts i am looking for anyway.

Success!!! My evening scanning of net stns took me to a great old timey stn called, 181.FM Front Porch, hillbilly gospel, bluegrass, family gospel, drifter, prisoner, hobo and railroad blues, work songs, temperance,homestead patriotism, mountain love songs etc. Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Appalachians,foot stompin, jug blowin, soggy bottom boys, backwoods moonshine runners.
    Last edited by PeterG; 03-25-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Wow!!! Great tune on at the moment, best described as progressive banjo/violin bluegrass doing Jethro Tull style folk. Love to know What that band was.

Wow!!! Great tune on at the moment, best described as progressive banjo/violin bluegrass doing Jethro Tull style folk. Love to know What that band was.
    Found it on their playlist, the tune was Roanoke by Bryan Sutton

Modern country is just not as good as 50s and 60s country. What was it about the 50s and 60s style that didn't interest country artists from the 70s and beyond? The older stuff was much more natural and real sounding, and the overall songwriting then was more sophisticated.

Don't forget Marvin Rainwater!!!!!!
    Still alive and well...

Don't forget Marvin Rainwater!!!!!!
    Still alive and well...