Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Psych-folk and "hauntology"

Suspended

Psych-folk and "hauntology"

There is a weekly radio program I listen to, which I have mentioned a few times here, called "The Golden Apples of the Sun". There are a number of different presenters, therefore the shows vary a bit, but a common thread seems to be music that is slightly eerie, haunting, oir mysterious. Reference is frequently made to "psych-folk", a genre that's fairly new to me but which apparently has been recognised for quite some time; Donovan is cited as an early exponent. More recently the announcers have started to refer to "hauntology" music.

There is a musical outfit called The Hare and The Moon. I can find very little information about them on the web, but they seem to be a duo. A number of their tracks have been featured, and they also "curated" one of the shows (i.e. the presenter corresponded with them via the internet and they provided a suggested playlist). Their music is rather difficult to describe except to say it certainly sounds haunting. Some clips are available on the internet. There are slight similarities to Clannad, though they seem less song-oriented and more geared towards ambient music, with tracks varying widely in length.

I wondered if anyone else has information on this "band", or about this kind of music in general?

Have you tried the search button for "psych folk"? We've had several threads about this during the last decade. It's a well established genre with nearly 50 years of history and its own international subculture (mags, festivals, websites, labels), and it has multiple intersections towards progressive rock music (the "real" one, I mean). And it is VERY MUCH a lively and vital musical art form even today.

The whole thing basically originates in a number of singular US (Pearls Before Swine, Tim Buckley, Lothar and the Hand People, The Fugs and numerous) and UK (Incredible String Band, Donovan and later cult-legends such as Comus, Simon Finn, Vashti Bunyan, Trees, Jade and so much more) artists.

A cuppa articles I wrote many years back (alas you read Norwegian ):

http://www.tarkus.org/forloperen/folk+viserock.html
    http://www.tarkus.org/forloperen/isb+pbs.html
    http://www.tarkus.org/forloperen/buckley.html
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 05-19-2015 at 12:10 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Suspended
    ^^ Yes I have done some searching, but I was looking for some word of mouth recommendations, so thanks for those names. Vashti Bunyan is another artist who seems to be featured regularly on the programme.

I used to have "Greetings from L.A." by Tim Buckley, and i would not describe that as folky, but from what I read that album is not very typical of his work.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ Yes I have done some searching,
    Hm, I did the search myself just now and must confess that it wasn't too easy finding much there. Anyway; check the list of rcommendations in the "UK folk underground" article - they are pretty essential (although there are many more to be had). Now let's see who else will join the thread and make their own contributions, then we'll return to the topic of current psych folk (which as it happens also overlaps to some extent with 'freak folk', 'acid folk', 'pagan folk' and more).
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

M(ichael) Warren is the man behind The Hare And The Moon. There's one CD released on http://www.reverbworship.com/ (which also released the last Sourdeline).

See also: https://www.facebook.com/michaelwarrenuk

This one might interest you too: Courtyard Music Group.

Suspended
    ^^ thanks, I'll check those out tomorrow morning.

Apparently Haute Magie is an independent record label. THatM is on their roster. I really like what I've heard so far.

http://stream.hautemagie.com/album/t...lkin-relic-015

Tim Buckley's Goodbye & Hello album should scratch your itch.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Hare and the Moon is a wonderful band and probably the best eerie folk band currently around (with Australia's Trappist Afterland). Michael Warren is also an active writer/reviewer/contributor on the blog Active Listener and it's worthy following his posts.

I recommend you to check the artists of that scene that emerged in the 90s. Stone Breath, Mourning Cloack, In Gowan Ring, Prydwyn, Peter Scion, Fit & Limo, Zaney Janey as well as the more "weird"/avant american scene (Tower Recordings, Wooden Wand & the Vanishing Voice, Joshua, Feathers...

A model artist for that type of music and probably my favourite one is: Xenis Emputae Travelling Band from Leeds.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 05-20-2015 at 08:14 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Decembrists
    Devandra Banhart
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Watch and listen to the movie The Wicker Man. You get this kind of music, a decent story, frightful images that the music enhances, and a nudie body double for Britt Ekland all within 90 minutes.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

This for me is more like music commissioned specifically for films and TV shows rather than a playable style in its own right.

I saw the cover of "First Utterance" on another website and it captured my imagination so much that I checked out a song from it called "Song to Comus". Didn't do much for me. About two weeks later, I woke up with the song in my head, so I bought it. It's now one of my favorite albums ever.

That was the first time I'd ever heard the phrase 'psych folk' and it opened me to a similar album by Jan Dukes de Grey, "Mice and Rats in the Loft" which is also really great (but I still prefer Comus - perhaps if only for sentimental reasons. Anyway, I highly recommend these albums as one of them truly changed my life at a musically impressionable age and the other ain't half bad either. Also, try searching 'freak folk' - I understand the genres as bring similar, if not synonymous.

I have to say I've never considered myself that much of an English folk fan but I do like the more esoteric end of the genre in the late 60s and very early 70s. This particular 'acid folk' genre is best represented by Comus' 'First Utterance', Mr Fox's 'The Gipsy' (surely the song 'Mendle' on this is the dictionary definition of psych-folk), the two Trees albums, Mellow Candle's 'Swaddling Songs'. Don't know the album itself but Jan Dukes De Grey's 'Mice And Rats In The Loft' is truly mind-bending.

Most of the above were on two compilations Sanctuary released, 'Gather In The Mushrooms' and 'Early Morning Hush'. I think both are out of print now but may still be available cheaply.

I agree that really Donovan and The Incredible String Band started this sort of sound in England. When it comes to Tim Buckley 'Starsailor' is the album of his I feel is closest to this sort of sound, rather than the earlier ones.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-21-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    When it comes to Tim Buckley 'Starsailor' is the album of his I feel is closest to this sort of sound, rather than the earlier ones.
    But Starsailor has faintly little "folk" about it overall; it's essentially one of his first truly "rock" albums in terms of instrumentation and formal structure - it's just that the sound itself came out as very 'fringe'.

Buckley's "Song Slowly Sung" (its initial title!) from his s/t debut (November '66) arguably represents the very core embryo of what denotes "psych folk".

The Denis album (holy grail of french 70s acid folk) is just reissued on vinyl...

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^

Aah... I'm still waiting for legit reissues of the Gwendal and Troisieme Rive.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I agree that really Donovan and The Incredible String Band started this sort of sound in England.
    When it comes to the American counterpart, it's got to be Pearls Before Swine, formed in Florida in 1965. Here's a cut from their 1967 debut on the ESP label.

Lou

This CD is in my collection

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mfpicnic

this I don't own, but it's eerie. actually it's creepy enough just knowing who it is

http://charlesmanson.bandcamp.com/al...n-family-sings
    Last edited by davis; 05-21-2015 at 09:37 AM.

^

Reprints of the Manson Family recordings are pretty easy to come by nowadays, however I don't find them very good at all. Lie is worth it for historical reasons alone - plus some admitted atmosphere - but hardly for much else.

As for Pearls Before Swine (I already mentioned them, darnit! ), Balaklava sits among the five-or-so finest psych folk albums of all time - IMHO.

Suspended
    I really need to explore Tim Buckley further. I always did think his music was better than his son's, but the above comments add further weight to that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    As for Pearls Before Swine (I already mentioned them, darnit! ), Balaklava sits among the five-or-so finest psych folk albums of all time - IMHO.
    That is correct, sir. I was confirming your post. PBS were indeed one of the finest psych folk bands. I saw them in 1972 at a little club outside of Philly. Tom Rapp was quite the raconteur. When he introduced the Leonard Cohen song "Suzanne," he said his goal in life was to have written it.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    That is correct, sir. I was confirming your post. PBS were indeed one of the finest psych folk bands. I saw them in 1972 at a little club outside of Philly. Tom Rapp was quite the raconteur. When he introduced the Leonard Cohen song "Suzanne," he said his goal in life was to have written it.
    First: You're DAMN lucky to have seen them - and back then! Given they apparently never performed when Lederer was in the group, I can only imagine the sight of Rapp and the others. Was Elizabeth with them as well?

Second: Rapp's version of "Suzanne" is plain gorgeous. The guy sings it with a transcendent wealth of intimate passion which practically makes his voice own the whole tune, and the wind arrangement is out of this world...

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I really need to explore Tim Buckley further.
    My tip:

Goodbye & Hello (orchestrated, semi-psychedelic folk-pop)
    Happy/Sad (jazzy folk poetry)
    Blue Afternoon (his straightest singer-songwriter-styled record)
    Starsailor (his avant-garde masterwork)

B. A. features one of my absolute fave Buckley tunes, sporting one of the most beautiful (lost) love lyrics I know (not very psych, though):