Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: XTC

Good timing on this, as I've been making my way through the catalog for mostly the first time myself. Inspired by Wing Beat, and also by reading AP's book 'Complicated Game' and listening to the song talked about in each chapter. I was able to pick up quite a few titles on CD relatively inexpensively, but my collection still lacks a couple biggies including Nonsuch and English Settlement. I bought Wasp Star, but when I received it found the CD inside was actually Homespun, so I'll need to re-buy that at some point. Partridge is truly one of the greatest songwriters of all time, IMO. And Moulding is a great bassist.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I haven't read that book, I must remedy that soon. I've been reading the Wiki page for each album as I listen, and they are pretty informative entries. It shouldn't surprise me, but Colin Moulding wrote some superb songs too, but in my mind it was always Andy Partridge that impressed me in the past. I also have been noticing his bass-lines. I have picked up the bass in the last few years, and my ears now gravitate to melodic lines, and as I played Nonsuch this morning, I was thinking I must get up to speed on some of these.

Have you seen the This is Pop Documentary, it is a brilliant retelling off their story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I haven't read that book, I must remedy that soon. I've been reading the Wiki page for each album as I listen, and they are pretty informative entries. It shouldn't surprise me, but Colin Moulding wrote some superb songs too, but in my mind it was always Andy Partridge that impressed me in the past. I also have been noticing his bass-lines. I have picked up the bass in the last few years, and my ears now gravitate to melodic lines, and as I played Nonsuch this morning, I was thinking I must get up to speed on some of these.

Have you seen the This is Pop Documentary, it is a brilliant retelling off their story.
    I have, and agree! I found the book fascinating, full of great insight on the songs themselves and the workings of the band in general. I'm also a bassist, and have had some good fun learning Moulding's bass lines. Because of the harmonic motion of the compositions they're often more difficult to grasp immediately, but all the more satisfying for that. Reminds me of Steely Dan in that respect.
    David

Fuzzy Warbles has a lot of fun stuff.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I have, and agree! I found the book fascinating, full of great insight on the songs themselves and the workings of the band in general. I'm also a bassist, and have had some good fun learning Moulding's bass lines. Because of the harmonic motion of the compositions they're often more difficult to grasp immediately, but all the more satisfying for that. Reminds me of Steely Dan in that respect.
    They are probably a step above my competence level then, but I'll have fun trying to play them. I've not been brave enough to tackle any Steely Dan.

In spired by your recommendation, I have just ordered Andy's book for delivery tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Fuzzy Warbles has a lot of fun stuff.
    I totally agree. The last time I played through it was a beautiful summer's day and I went for a very very long walk around old childhood hunts, and I filled my head with constant Fuzzy Warbles. It was a really good way to spend a day. So I view the collection as something I should devote a day of careful attention to, and picking the right moment is sacrosanct

They are probably a step above my competence level then, but I'll have fun trying to play them. I've not been brave enough to tackle any Steely Dan.

In spired by your recommendation, I have just ordered Andy's book for delivery tomorrow.
    Bollocks! In my experience, if you hear something and you love it enough to try playing it, you'll find a way to get there. Enjoy the process - and the book!
    David

I have that 4 CD BBC box "Transistor Blast" that Sunlight Caller asked about; lotta good stuff if you can get it cheap like I did. Since XTC is one of my favorite artists of all time, I've been staying away from them recently because I don't want to overdo it and get burned out. Now I think it's been long enough!

Bollocks! In my experience, if you hear something and you love it enough to try playing it, you'll find a way to get there. Enjoy the process - and the book!
    Yes you are right, it’s in the process that you test yourself and find the fun. I’ve always been a bedroom player of guitar but switched up to bass to join m mates covers ban it’s been fun until gigs stopped with covid. They don’t play enough songs that I would actually choose, I’m slowly influencing the repertoire... musical differences

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I have that 4 CD BBC box "Transistor Blast" that Sunlight Caller asked about; lotta good stuff if you can get it cheap like I did. Since XTC is one of my favorite artists of all time, I've been staying away from them recently because I don't want to overdo it and get burned out. Now I think it's been long enough!
    That’s what I’m waiting for... a reasonably priced set. Yes get back on that XTC journey and join back in on the chat!

So I picked up the Complicated Game book, and I’m really enjoying it. It will certainly prolong my XTC listening spree.

I have missed out on the Blu-Ray revolution and the surround sound remixes of the XTC classics, but from what I read and am told, they are of exceptional quality and add a new dimension to our enjoyment. Looking at the U.K. stores some of these are sold out, Were they limited editions? Looks like I am going to have to search wider if I want to complete the set.

I had a daydream today. In it, XTC got back together for one more album.

Alas ...
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I had a daydream today. In it, XTC got back together for one more album.

Alas ...
    It could happen. Why not? They're all still above ground and, apparently, living in Swindon. Andy says he sees Colin and Dave around town but they don't talk. And Terry's back in town too. Now that TC&I are done...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    It could happen. Why not? They're all still above ground and, apparently, living in Swindon. Andy says he sees Colin and Dave around town but they don't talk. And Terry's back in town too. Now that TC&I are done...
    It’s a shame if they don’t talk. I’m reading Complicated Game and it’s full of references to speaking to Dave, like they are close buddies. Not so much with Colin though. They seemed such a tight knit bunch for much of their career. I’m sure they would have a huge stockpile of material to work from if they could get together again. The world needs new XTC music.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It’s a shame if they don’t talk. I’m reading Complicated Game and it’s full of references to speaking to Dave, like they are close buddies. Not so much with Colin though. They seemed such a tight knit bunch for much of their career. I’m sure they would have a huge stockpile of material to work from if they could get together again. The world needs new XTC music.
    It would be nice. Up until a few years ago I had a highly stylized notion of Moulding and Partridge being like some second coming of Lennon/McCartney or Jagger/Richards or whatever. It was nothing of the sort. They were two separate writers vying for the same space as it turns out. They deserve the mantle of Lennon/McCartney even if they really weren't.

Barry Andrews SOAL.jpg

Barry Andrews will be my guest coming up April 18th, fyi.

^ Right on Sean! Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    It would be nice. Up until a few years ago I had a highly stylized notion of Moulding and Partridge being like some second coming of Lennon/McCartney or Jagger/Richards or whatever. It was nothing of the sort. They were two separate writers vying for the same space as it turns out. They deserve the mantle of Lennon/McCartney even if they really weren't.
    Of course for the most part John and Paul wrote separately, much like Andy and Colin, so it is not a far fetched notion. If you throw in Difford and Tilbrook as another contender for the crown, it’s not a silly notion at all.

Andy was of course far more prolific a writer than Colin but until I studied my XTC a little deeper I had not realised quite how many singles had Colin’s name on them. I read an interview with him around the TC&I project in which he stated the creative well was not as free flowing these days. I guess age has a part to play, but without the imperative of a new album to write and record, I wonder if Andy is still constantly creating?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    ^ Right on Sean! Looking forward to it.
    That will be an interesting one Sean, I hope you can delve into some of the early XTC stories in your conversation. I see the wheels are turning on a new Shriekback album too.

Good timing on this, as I've been making my way through the catalog for mostly the first time myself. Inspired by Wing Beat, and also by reading AP's book 'Complicated Game' and listening to the song talked about in each chapter.
    Thank you for the recommendation of Andy’s book, I’ve read it this past week and it has been very engaging, full of interesting stories and snippets behind the process and songs. It Has kicked me into a search for the 5.1 discs that I missed over the past years. I do not even have a 5.1 system yet, but I feel I need the discs and the rest will follow!

Andy was of course far more prolific a writer than Colin but until I studied my XTC a little deeper I had not realised quite how many singles had Colin’s name on them.
    That ratio has always made me posit that Andy was both John and Paul, and Colin was George. The analogy really gets nailed home with songs like "Grass" and "Big Day."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I used to have a lot of XTC albums, on vinyl and CD, but at some point I got kind of tired of them and sold it all off. They're a great band, but for some reason I felt like I'd heard them enough. But I kind of wish I had the whole collection on shuffle, and could just play it for 20 minutes or so every once in a while. Anyway, when I sold them all, I also stopped buying new ones, their last few albums (at least I think it's just a few, I'm not sure) I've heard very little of, but there was no drop off in quality when I stopped listening to them, so I SHOULD listen to them some time. CTTOI, I can make great use of Spotify for that. I stopped buying them right before Mayor of Simpleton or whatever it's called came out. I don't think I ever bought that one.

My favorite was always The Big Express. I played that album to death. The other one I listened to most was Skylarking. Both of those albums have some really excellent songs! I've never heard that corrected version of Skylarking. Does it sound startlingly different, or not much? Which is your favorite?

Jon Neudorf
    Tie between Drums and Wires and Black Sea.

Jed, Skylarking sounds brighter but if you know and enjoyed the original album, it will not be earth shattering. There is of course a Mr Wislon 5.1 remix to add into the fray too.

Give a listen to Apple Venus volume 1, their penultimate album, it’s staggeringly beautiful. It’s the one that split Dave away, he couldn’t get on board with the price of the orchestra and so walked. It was Andy’s vision, but it was worth it for River Of Orchids alone. There are many wonderful songs included here. The follow up Wasp Star features the more electric band guitar tracks, is also really good but ver6 different. It was recorded in parallel to an extent, but Andy didn’t want to lose the focus on the musical palette for the firs5 disc by combining them.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    We’re they hurting for money back then, that they had to worry about the cost?