Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: XTC

They never made big money, it’s a bone of contention, they were ripped off by labels, managers, you know the classic sad rock n roll story. Andy lives in a very modest house in Swindon that he bought at the height of his fame. Colin sold his rights I believe and Andy still curates the legacy and I guess lives off of that. So yes back then, money was a thing that mattered to them, and I suppose Andy was keen to pursue his vision (in sound, if that’s not a tautology) to its glorious acoustic best. Colin was on board with him, but Dave wanted to go a more direct route and focus on the guitar tunes that would eventually appear on Wasp Star.

In the book Andy states that one day of the orchestra at Abbey Road cost them 20,000 ouch!

^^ If I'm not mistaken, Dave Gregory is not credited on Wasp Star. I think Andy Partridge played all of the guitars on that one. Apple Venus Vol. 1 is a great record. A nice change of pace in the sound, while still undeniably XTC.

Yes you are correct, Andy played all of the guitars and I think replaced some of Dave’s contributions on Apple Venus recorded before he walked out. The orchestral arrangements on Apple Venus that Dave would usually have provided were beautifully realised by Mike Batt, formerly a Womble !
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 03-11-2021 at 03:53 PM.

I'd like to add to the comments I made last week about that 4-CD box of BBC recordings "Transistor Blast". I listened to 3 of the discs the other night (the fourth is a disc of live stuff from their early days that I just don't care about), and I had forgotten that the two discs of studio recordings are not the usual attempts to make carbon copies of the album versions. Every song features a slightly different arrangement or a different guitar solo or instrument, etc.; well worth checking out. The third disc is a concert recorded around the time of English Settlement, and it's a winner. Other than Andy's voice affected by a cold (not bad, just gruffer), the sound and performances are great.

^^^ Thank you for the further thoughts on the live / session collection, I must get this. I’m currently on a hunt to locate the 5.1 releases, but I’m also looking out for a fair priced Transistor Blast.

In case anyone's interested, Gregg Bendian (drums/perc with Keneally, Musical Box, Cecil Taylor, many others) has a YT channel called The Progcast, and has carried out extensive conversation/interviews with both Andy Partridge and Dave Gregory. Very entertaining and informative!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Jon Neudorf
    Just watched an interesting documentary called XTC - This is Pop. Really interesting insight from Partridge, Moulding and Gregory. Such a great band and noone made pop music quite like XTC.
    Believe the doc is on Crave.

Jon Neudorf
    Some interesting tidbits when Todd Rundgren produced them (Slylarking album).

^^^ That’s a great documentary, made with the usual amount of good humour and intelligence, and very informative too.

Jon Neudorf
    Agreed

I was listening to my music and Wake Up from Big Express came on. So many layers of perfectly layered sound with a perfectly jerky drum track. Not one of my favorite XTC songs, but just so XTC in it's complexity that on the surface seems simple.

Wing Beat - so good.

Drums and Wires is my favourite XTC followed by, well, everything else
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

There are exactly four bands that I would and will fight you over:

Yes
    Genesis
    Guided By Voices
    XTC

Come at me, bro!!!

(I'm a lover not a fighter...)
    Prog's Not Dead

Seems that Moulding has a few new songs coming our way:

https://burningshed.com/store/colin-...ter+20+05+2021

Containing two songs and an 'exploratory demo', The Hardest Battle represents XTC founding member Colin Moulding's first ever solo release.

A tantalising glimpse into the creative process of one of the UK's finest songwriters.

CD single in 4-panel digisleeve.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.