Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Progressive Rock Album of 2012 Poll Results

Best Progressive Rock Album of 2012 Poll Results

The results of our 2012 Reader’s Poll are in. The winner is veteran French progressive rock band Ange. Recognized as the most influential progressive rock band in France, Ange reached legendary status in the 1970s.

Anathema won second place. Although this band has a heavy metal past, its current incarnation goes in a post rock direction with material that certainly fits the progressive rock parameters.

Third place goes to critically acclaimed Swedish band Anglagard.

More details and complete list at:

progressiverockcentral.com/2012/12/18/best-progressive-rock-album-of-2012-poll-results

So only bands whose names start with an "A" were eligible?
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I knew there was a thread on this here at PE but I didn't know of a poll. Kind of strange that Ange was hardly mentioned in the thread here but won the poll copnducted elsewhere. Different audience maybe.

I will have to check out that other list in more detail. Many of those in the top spots seem to coincide with our thread here, but some are just new to me.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

On Dec. 21st my choice for best album is:Keith Emerson's Three Fates Project cd/dvd. Phenomenal album and video.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Not a bad mix of albums though I haven't really seen Ange mentioned here in any discussions. Four points spring to mind:-

The winner is veteran French progressive rock band Ange. Recognized as the most influential progressive rock band in France
    Surely the most influential progressive band in France is Magma?

Nice to see Kotobel get some love

Isn't it a bit weird the way the votes drop off after the first two albums, 33%, 24%, 5%. So more than 50% of those voting thought Ange or Anathema were the best? Sounds like multiple votes allowed and coordinated voting blocs.

Where is Thinking Plague?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Is it European (e.g. French) based webpage ?

better than other one soomeone recently posted results from..

Quote Originally Posted by progressiverockcentral View Post
    Recognized as the most influential progressive rock band in France, Ange reached legendary status in the 1970s.
    Wouldn't that make Genesis the most influential prog band in France?

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    So only bands whose names start with an "A" were eligible?
    And no Asia, what a shame!

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I knew there was a thread on this here at PE but I didn't know of a poll. Kind of strange that Ange was hardly mentioned in the thread here but won the poll copnducted elsewhere. Different audience maybe.

I will have to check out that other list in more detail. Many of those in the top spots seem to coincide with our thread here, but some are just new to me.
    Poll was from another website.

I'll pick up the top two though, what the heck

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    And no Asia, what a blessing!

fixed....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    fixed....
    Indeed. If you weren’t going to do it, I was.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?" --Patrick Star

N.P.:“Right Away”-Styx

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Indeed. If you weren’t going to do it, I was.
    No doubt Greg meant it in a sarcastic way, though!!

------------------------------

Mike >> you should eventually touch over your signature (by using the feature), because somehow we find quoting you with your signature >> that's not "normal"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The results of our 2012 Reader’s Poll are in. The winner is veteran French progressive rock band Ange. Recognized as the most influential progressive rock band in France, Ange reached legendary status in the 1970s.
    This is the result of the poll, but I live in France and i have to say that they are not considered as the most influencal prog rock band!

Hmm. I heard Ange in the 70s and didn't like them. They were, like, the only prog band that I didn't care for, from what I remember. Haven't heard anything by them since, so maybe I'd like them now, who knows?

Ange is very good but the highly disproportionate number of votes they got in the poll makes me suspect they had an extremely efficient get out the vote campaign

Firstly, I have my doubt about quantity of this Poll participants. Prog music isn't the most popular genre of music. Alas... Secondly, some of the best prog rock albums of 2012 were not mentioned at all.

Anathema won second place. Although this band has a heavy metal past, its current incarnation goes in a post rock direction with material that certainly fits the progressive rock parameters.

progressiverockcentral.com/2012/12/18/best-progressive-rock-album-of-2012-poll-results
    I certainly can understand Anglagard's place in the top three, could muster some support for Anathema, but I cannot at all agree with the choice of Ange
    as the winner. I am not really that familiar with the group but I was very unimpressed with their 2012 release of Moyen-âge and not even likely to buy it.

I figured what the heck, I'll bite and picked up the top two. I didn't really care for either.

Ange was French Pop Prog lite with gutteral vocals and Anathema was 3ish-chord anthem rock albeit with good vocals and a deliberate pace. I like a full soundscape but there's a fine line between complex layers with effective spatial separation and being so busy that thinga bleed together.

Neither was "bad" per se, I just think "the best" prog albums would be complex, innovative, unique, or chop filled.

Not trying to be too negative, I could see how fans of NeoProg might be attracted to these. This isn't meant to be a put down of NeoProg. It's just not my cup of tea.

Polls can be esily influenced by a relatively small number of people pushing certain albums.

David Elliott did a similar poll for the European Perspective popcast. His listeners (or the people who voted which may not be the same thing) voted for Big Big Train. And it should be pointed out that non-European albums were not allowed in the vote. They are David's comments in brackets...

His results were:

1. Big Big Train - English Electric Part 1 (by a huge margin, and the band didn't whip voting at all, it was a very clear victory)
    2. Nine Stones Close - One Eye On The Sunrise (massive encouragement from the band)
    3. Corvus Stone - Corvus Stone (ditto)
    4. Kompendium - Beneath The Waves
    5. Anglagard - Vilgars Oga
    6. Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made
    7. Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited II
    8. Anathema - Weather Systems (eat my shorts, Cavanagh)
    9. It Bites - Map Of The Past
    10. The Flower Kings - Banks Of Eden
    11. RPWL - Beyond Man and Time
    12. Riversea - Out Of An Ancient World
    13. Gazpacho - March Of Ghosts
    14. Beardfish - The Void
    15. Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve
    16. Kaipa - Vittjar
    17. Motorpsycho & Stale Storlokken - The Death Defying Unicorn
    18. Panic Room - Skin
    19. The Pineapple Thief - All The Wars
    20. The Enid - Invicta
    21. Ian Anderson - Thick As A Brick 2
    22. Moon Safari - Lover's End Part III (Skelleftea Serenade)
    23. Syd Arthur - On An On
    24. Mogador - Absinthe Tales Of Romantic Visions
    25. Manning - Akoustik
    26. Galahad - Beyond the Realms Of Euphoria
    27. The Fierce And The Dead - On VHS
    28. Threshold - March Of Progress
    29. Arjen Anthony Lucassen - Lost In The New Real
    30. Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion
    31. Moon Safari - The Gettysburg Address
    32. The Reasoning - Adventures In Neverland
    33. Alan Reed - First In A Field Of One
    34. North Atlantic Oscillation - Fog Electric
    35. Magenta - Live: On Our Way To Who Knows Where
    36. Citizen Cain - Skies Darken
    37. Galahad - Battle Scars
    38. Frequency Drift - Laid To Rest
    39. Sylvan - Sceneries
    40. Muse - The 2nd Law
    41. Mostly Autumn - The Ghost Moon Orchestra
    42. Katatonia - Dead End Kings
    43. Delusion Squared - II
    44. Silhouette - Across The Rubicon
    45. Steven Wilson - Catalogue|Preserve|Amass
    46. Headspace - I Am Anonymous
    47. Halo - Nights And Days
    48. Hawkwind - Onward
    49. Pendragon - Out Of Order Comes Chaos
    50. Hostsonaten - The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

I have to admit I didn't have the means to buy a lot in 2012, but for what I did get I would have to say No. 1 of the year is:

Anglagard-Viljars Olga. Dang,what a comeback after nothing for 19 years.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Two long lists and neither has Rush's "Clockwork Angels." Very odd.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    Two long lists and neither has Rush's "Clockwork Angels." Very odd.
    Well it's not prog (ducks)
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The first poll is highly suspect - not only did Rush and Steven (more exposure than a streaker) Wilson fail to get more than a single vote to lift them out of the 205 'other' votes, but some Belgian alt-rock band with 179 last.fm listeners managed to get mentioned despite having no more votes than the 205 others.

The second poll excludes 'non-European' artists. That Rush is missing is not too surprising then.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Where is Thinking Plague?
    Oh, they aren't known, and even if they were they wouldn't be "understood". Although they are the single band in existence today who not only channel Yes, GGiant etc. but who actually advance completely beyond it - the way in which allegedly "progressive" rock music advanced from 1969 to 1973 and so on. But I suppose this isn't the objective with such music anymore; better sound like "what we know already".

But let's hear it anyway. Hell, they had by far the most expansive thread on a new release in PE last year.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Oh, they aren't known, and even if they were they wouldn't be "understood". Although they are the single band in existence today who not only channel Yes, GGiant etc. but who actually advance completely beyond it - the way in which allegedly "progressive" rock music advanced from 1969 to 1973 and so on. But I suppose this isn't the objective with such music anymore; better sound like "what we know already".

But let's hear it anyway. Hell, they had by far the most expansive thread on a new release in PE last year.
    That was one of the threads that made it over to PEv3, having an 840 post thread on TP was way cool and it was great having all the mike Johnson input in the thread.
    Ian