Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Progressive Rock Album of 2012 Poll Results

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    View Post
    Two long lists and neither has Rush's "Clockwork Angels." Very odd.
    Well it's not prog (ducks)
    Neither is it good

(scurries for cover)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Brice Plays Drums?
    Vuvuzela?
    Gatherer?
    Ne Obliviscaris?

It's a poll and a lightening rod!!!!!!!!!!!!

So....I have a question about the Anathema album. I keep seeing it show up on best of 2012 lists, but is this not an album of re-recorded earlier works and not really new material? I have several Anatema albums, but have resisted picking this one up for this reason. What is the story behind it?

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    So....I have a question about the Anathema album. I keep seeing it show up on best of 2012 lists, but is this not an album of re-recorded earlier works and not really new material? I have several Anatema albums, but have resisted picking this one up for this reason. What is the story behind it?

Steve Sly
    Your thinking of Falling Deeper from 2011 but the latest Weather Systems from 2012 is all new material.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

No Headspace? That's criminal.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

North America Distribution and Boutique Label
    https://essentials.ProgRock.com

Discord Server
    https://discord.gg/XjXVZ8WqNP

900 + Podcasts here
    www.musicinwidescreen.com
    Live Shows Sunday 6pm-9pm CST Sundays @ ProgRock.com

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Your thinking of Falling Deeper from 2011 but the latest Weather Systems from 2012 is all new material.
    Ahh....ok, thanks for the clarification.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post

Steve Sly
    Steve,

I'll send you mine, PM me your address.

Regards
    Todd

Moongate_Climber
    Odd that a discussion which mentions 'influential French bands' makes no mention of Nemo. Recent album 'Revolu$ion' is first-rate. Earlier albums (such as 'Si' - originally released as 2 separate parts but again recently as a double with parts 1 and 2 together) are, in my view, absolutely classic prog. J-P Louveton also has solo albums and side projects.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Ange are very likely my worst progressive rock experience of a lifetime (and I'm no spring chicken).

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Ange are very likely my worst progressive rock experience of a lifetime (and I'm no spring chicken).
    I've never got the Ange hoopla. I much prefer Atoll, Mona Lisa and Pulsar when it comes to French Prog.

But I haven't heard the new Ange so I can't comment on it. I just find their 70s albums to be way overrated. There's some good stuff on them, but they were not "all that" IMHO.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    odd thing to say without any explanation...Ange has tons of very good releases...

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    odd thing to say without any explanation...Ange has tons of very good releases...
    I don't know that an explanation is really necessary, it's just personal taste. I heard one Ange album in the 70s, and it was maybe the only 'progressive' album I didn't care for. A whole lot of hollering, I recall, but it was 35 years ago. I may love them now, who knows?

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    I have several 70's Ange lp's and quite enjoy them. Top tier Prog? I wouldn't say so. But they offer up slices of that undeniably French theatrics while pressing a number of Prog buttons.

As to their 2012 release, if memory serves correctly Progstreaming had this one for a while. And if it's the one I'm thinking of, then it did not float my Prog boat. Sorry, don't remember it enough to offer reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Isn't it a bit weird the way the votes drop off after the first two albums, 33%, 24%, 5%. So more than 50% of those voting thought Ange or Anathema were the best? Sounds like multiple votes allowed and coordinated voting blocs.
    or only 34 people voted
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) - absolutely LOVE this band:

Akin - Categorized as prog metal but I find them to be more like hard-edged jazz progressive rock.

Pg Farm On The Moon: "The music of Pig Farm On The Moon (PFOTM) is announced as “a mixture between Yes, Genesis and ELP with a touch of Dream Theater and a lot of PFOTM." - Progvisions

echolynfan

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."