Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: FEATURED CD - Mike Rutherford : Smallcreep's Day

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What demise? The musicianship never went away. They evolved. They got less self-indulgent, which wasn’t necessarily a bad thing.
    Agree..

I greatly prefer self-indulgence. "You make the music that you want to make for yourself, and I'll see if it resonates with me likewise." I don't want the musician to pander to me, and make music that he thinks I'll like. Create, and I'll see if I can get on board or not.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't want the musician to pander to me, and make music that he thinks I'll like. Create, and I'll see if I can get on board or not.
    I feel similarly. When I speak about self-indulgence in this context, I'm largely referring to being "flashy" (for lack of a better term). But if I didn't like self-indulgence to some extent at least, I wouldn't be here listening to and discussing prog-rock.

As far as Genesis goes, I never felt pandered to by their music even in the 80s and 90s. They had always written pop songs from the very beginning, but after Duke they started to pare down their sound and hone their songwriting a bit. I 100% believe they were making stuff that interested them at that time, and most of it came from jamming together in a room just the three of them. Even Invisible Touch -- their most singles-heavy record -- contained two long-form songs with multiple sections and an uncommercial instrumental track at the very end.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I appreciate what you are saying and Iím not saying that the band was sh@t with ABACAB, but for me itís about drums, drum machine and noise gate was a disaster. Musicianship wasnít bad during the eighties, it was just at a level in the 70ís never met again. IMO Genesis was never self indulgent and those who donít appreciate jazz fusion influences would call them self indulgent. Self indulgent jamming was more of a psychedelic rock aspect, not as much a prog thing, relatively. There were songs I liked in the 80s, but they were not engaging IMO. There were bands in the 80ís who were not prog, progressive maybe, that were engaging.
    I can understand if 80s Genesis just didn't engage you. Tastes differ, and that's cool.

The stuff I said about "Abacab" wasn't so much directed at you; it was because of Trane's "Abacrap" fixation and routine dismissiveness in general.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Just listened again. That Suite side is just amazing. IMO better than anything Genesis did post-"A Trick of the Tail."
    Respectfully, I wouldn't go that far either. The "song" side of Smallcreep's Day always sounded stronger to me; its the side that I enjoy more, even though the suite has its moments for sure. But it just doesn't have that same magic that was present when Mike, Tony, and Phil were all together.

"Overnight Job" comes very close though. That ending gives me goosebumps.

I'm glad to see so much love here for Smallcreep's Day; it seems to get overlooked, which is unfortunate because it's really a lovely record IMO. And I love Ant's keyboard work on it too.

Its a lost masterpiece, I would put it up with Anthony Phillips The Geese and The Ghost if anyone is looking for a 'lost' 70's Genesis album.

I can't find it, but there used to be lists of favorite albums on Amazon from music artists. Hackett had one and had Smallcreep's Day on his list. David Torn had a list the included Talk Talk' Spirit of Eden and Terje Rypdal's Descendre.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Its a lost masterpiece, I would put it up with Anthony Phillips The Geese and The Ghost if anyone is looking for a 'lost' 70's Genesis album.
    Yup, I consider it the lost Genesis album to be honest, if you love the band it's a must listen.

I can understand if 80s Genesis just didn't engage you. Tastes differ, and that's cool.

The stuff I said about "Abacab" wasn't so much directed at you; it was because of Trane's "Abacrap" fixation and routine dismissiveness in general.
    Trane knows full-well that the individuals didn't lose their virtuoso musicianship as the decade changed. Whatever jamming they did in some of those later albums were relatively twee, whether in studio - understandable - or live (which was disappointing)

But to his eyes, that makes it even worse that albums like Aba, the second side of Shapes and IT/DCD were created.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Trane knows full-well that the individuals didn't lose their virtuoso musicianship as the decade changed. Whatever jamming they did in some of those later albums were relatively twee, whether in studio - understandable - or live (which was disappointing)
    Twee? I can't agree there. The jam on the latter half of "Abacab" from Three Sides Live is not what I'd ever call "twee". I'd reserve that word for a tune like "Harlequin".

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    But to his eyes, that makes it even worse that albums like Aba, the second side of Shapes and IT/DCD were created.
    There's nothing wrong with any of those albums.

Well, okay WCD would have been better if they'd left off "Since I Lost You" and instead included "On the Shoreline".

Abacab should also have included "Naminanu" and "You Might Recall" (my favorite 3-man Genesis tune ever). It's a crime that it was relegated to a B-side.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Twee? I can't agree there. The jam on the latter half of "Abacab" from Three Sides Live is not what I'd ever call "twee". I'd reserve that word for a tune like "Harlequin".

There's nothing wrong with any of those albums.

Abacab should also have included "Naminanu" and "You Might Recall" (my favorite 3-man Genesis tune ever). It's a crime that it was relegated to a B-side.
    My favourite is Duke's Travels/End but those two songs are nice too.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    My favourite is Duke's Travels/End but those two songs are nice too.
    Those are great songs. I love the beginning of Duke's Travels -- the guitar and cymbals always make me picture waves crashing on the beach for some reason. Really lovely.

"You Might Recall" (my favorite 3-man Genesis tune ever). It's a crime that it was relegated to a B-side.
    Agreed, and one of my trio favourites as well (Duchess is #1).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk