Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: FEATURED CD - Mike Rutherford : Smallcreep's Day

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    While we're at it, I would also add A Curious Feeling. That one and Smallcreep's Day are my favorites.
    If you told me I could only have one album from all of the Genesis solo works, I would take A Curious Feeling. I would miss PG Mask the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    If you told me I could only have one album from all of the Genesis solo works, I would take A Curious Feeling. I would miss PG Mask the most.
    Yeah man, I'm right there with you. ACF just edges out the others by a narrow margin for me. Geese is really good too, but I actually prefer Wise After the Event to that one for some reason. Picking a favorite Ant album is pretty tough though, because he's so consistently excellent.

Of the PG albums, PG4/Security/Mask and So are about tied for my favorite. Though I think all of them range from good to great.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I relistened to Smallcreep again, the other day and it sounded even better to me now than it did years ago…
    Well said, you made me want to like it; but then I listened again and I just can’t.

Yeah man, I'm right there with you. ACF just edges out the others by a narrow margin for me. Geese is really good too, but I actually prefer Wise After the Event to that one for some reason. Picking a favorite Ant album is pretty tough though, because he's so consistently excellent.

Of the PG albums, PG4/Security/Mask and So are about tied for my favorite. Though I think all of them range from good to great.
    Big fan of PG. Gabriel has been the most consistent of the group IMHO. Actually most all of the solo stuff for Genesis is good to great. A lot of it has to do with the listeners feelings about pop music. PC's first two solos are excellent. No Jacket Required was his biggest seller. I'm also a big Banks fan. Hackett is the most diverse but sometimes this gets in the way. Rutherfords Smallcreep's Day is definity his best. And I do like a good portion of Mike and the Mechanics. I only have acouple of Ant Phillips disks, and they don't disappoint. Probably the worst of everything is Rutherford's Acting Very Strange. I never play it.

^^^^^^^ Agree. AVS is terrible. Never play it, don't know why I still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    ^^^^^^^ Agree. AVS is terrible. Never play it, don't know why I still have it.
    Bloody awful, how that was next up after SCD is befuddling for certain, and Mike's choice to sing was even worse. What would be worse, winding up in Hell (there is no Hell of course), or having to listen to a Rutherford-Howe sing-off?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    a Rutherford-Howe sing-off?
    (Sounds of hair being ripped from head) as you are forced to listen. 😈

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Bloody awful, how that was next up after SCD is befuddling for certain, and Mike's choice to sing was even worse. What would be worse, winding up in Hell (there is no Hell of course), or having to listen to a Rutherford-Howe sing-off?
    I'm thinking the one way trip to purgatory might be the better option
    Last edited by Tangram; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:22 PM.

Has anybody noticed the song Working in Line sounds a bit like Machine Messiah by Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Big fan of PG. Gabriel has been the most consistent of the group IMHO. Actually most all of the solo stuff for Genesis is good to great. A lot of it has to do with the listeners feelings about pop music. PC's first two solos are excellent. No Jacket Required was his biggest seller. I'm also a big Banks fan. Hackett is the most diverse but sometimes this gets in the way. Rutherfords Smallcreep's Day is definity his best. And I do like a good portion of Mike and the Mechanics. I only have acouple of Ant Phillips disks, and they don't disappoint. Probably the worst of everything is Rutherford's Acting Very Strange. I never play it.
    I agree that a lot of the solo G-men output is at least good, if not great. I still love Phil's first three albums, even if No Jacket Required was his most streamlined pop-focused record I still love it.

Banks is my favorite, but Gabriel is probably a close 2nd for me. But I own a bit of stuff by them all, and am glad to have it (although I do not own Acting Very Strange ). Ant Phillips is a phenomenal musician and composer, possibly rivaling Banks in terms of emotion and musical sophistication (again, IMO). And of course Hackett has put out some excellent records as well. I sort of fell off with his recent stuff, but those 70s and 80s records were really quite something.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Has anybody noticed the song Working in Line sounds a bit like Machine Messiah by Yes?
    Never noticed any similarity myself. Any particular part(s) you could point out?
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Never noticed any similarity myself. Any particular part(s) you could point out?
    I can hear that: "I'm hopelessly waiting in line" sounds a lot like "All of them standing in line"--not the same melody, but the same feel, a similar shuffle beat, and even the lyrics are close.