Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: ANEKDOTEN: "Until All The Ghosts Are Gone" April 10

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post

So it seems they're open to a wider variety of configurations for live performances. This could be interesting !
    It would certainly be cool to have Theo Travis join them if they play in the UK anytime soon.
    Back in 95, during their Nucleus tour, in their Brussels' gig at Le Sud, Finnegans Wake's very own Henry Krutzen played a track or two during their set (first time I saw them)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Late to the party here but I just picked this one up over the weekend. Very solid release! Thoroughly enjoying it!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm new to Anekdoten, but really enjoyed this one on Progstreaming. I'm thinking of getting into their catalog. Is Chapters a good place to start? Unfortunately, the latest is currently out of stock at the site I'm on.

A potential downside of Chapters is that the songs from Nucleus are in demo form, if I remember correctly, but they are well recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I'm new to Anekdoten, but really enjoyed this one on Progstreaming. I'm thinking of getting into their catalog. Is Chapters a good place to start? Unfortunately, the latest is currently out of stock at the site I'm on.
    Just get "Nucleus" and "From Within".

Quote Originally Posted by Genital Giant View Post
    Just get "Nucleus" and "From Within".
    If by that you mean just get "Nucleus" and "Vemod", then I heartily agree, lol.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    If by that you mean just get "Nucleus" and "Vemod", then I heartily agree, lol.

neil
    me two
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Is Chapters a good place to start? Unfortunately, the latest is currently out of stock at the site I'm on.
    Go to Wayside and buy the latest one there; it's the best place to get progressive rock of notable importance anyway.

I for one do not think Chapters is a very good place to start, but then again I'm not particularly fond of their debut (Vemod) either. Their sources are too shallowly presented and those purportedly "proggy-prog" arrangements not very convincing, and that cello is - er - not really working out yet.

Nucleus remains their best and most majestic album, and the one where they pulled all the stops and still came out heroically. From Within is great too, but overall more uneven. Gravity is *very* uneven, although it has a couple of ace tracks on it; ironically, these are the songs where they venture into more "indie rock" terrain. A Time of Day is good, and the latest (last?) one is as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Go to Wayside and buy the latest one there; it's the best place to get progressive rock of notable importance anyway.

I for one do not think Chapters is a very good place to start, but then again I'm not particularly fond of their debut (Vemod) either. Their sources are too shallowly presented and those purportedly "proggy-prog" arrangements not very convincing, and that cello is - er - not really working out yet.

Nucleus remains their best and most majestic album, and the one where they pulled all the stops and still came out heroically. From Within is great too, but overall more uneven. Gravity is *very* uneven, although it has a couple of ace tracks on it; ironically, these are the songs where they venture into more "indie rock" terrain. A Time of Day is good, and the latest (last?) one is as well.
    Gravity has SW4 --- I play that damn song waaaayyy too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Vemod, despite a certain amateurishness is still the warmest IMHO
    Nucleus is awesome, but very brutal... Don'rt recommend starting with that one, taking the latest album from point of departure
    From Within is good, but there is a certain vaccumness in the longer tracks
    Gravity is very dense, but also their poorest (and IMHO uselessly noisy for the straight-song format)
    Time Of Day is better than Gravity, but it's their second weakest

If you can still find the Live Bootleg In Japan double album , this could be your best introduction to their early stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Gravity has SW4 --- I play that damn song waaaayyy too much.
    One of their absolute best tracks altogether, IMHO!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I Just read this whole thread. Congratulations to me.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I Just read this whole thread. Congratulations to me.
    Dang, dude. I like Anekdoten, but not sure I could have done what you did.

That last one could be their best. I also like a lot From Within, with its more indie orientation. The first 2 are too blatantly Fripped in my opinion.

I'll probably re-listen soon and maybe re-vise these views. It's been ages.

Four years on, this release still appears sorta 'new' when I listen to it nowadays. Probably because I'm turning old and weary, time passing quickly, dementia prevalent, mindrot prominent and evildeath imminent.

It's the kind of work which sums up all the parts of a musical entity. Somehow I'm doubtful if there'll be more to come from them.

I was listening to the first Wobbler CD and thought (at least the 2nd track) sounds kinda like early Anekdoten vocally.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    That last one could be their best. I also like a lot From Within, with its more indie orientation. The first 2 are too blatantly Fripped in my opinion.
    I more or less agree. They were a must-see live act during their early days, but as a recording act they were not ready for prime time. I used to own Vemod and Nucleus but asked myself, “do these do anything that Red didn’t already do much better?” The answer was a resounding “no” so I ditched them.

I really don’t like that 90s “indie” sound at all (the reason I never could get into the likes of Landberk or Porcupine Tree), but I did feel the direction they went into with From Within and Gravity was the right move for them; it allowed them to find their own musical voice.

A Time of Day and UATGAG are, in my opinion, far and away their best albums, and highly recommended, especially the latter. The KC influence is still notable across all their releases, but they’re no longer just shallow copyists. They have acquired a dense, multi-layered sound that is uniquely their own, and I applaud their efforts.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I used to own Vemod and Nucleus but asked myself, “do these do anything that Red didn’t already do much better?” The answer was a resounding “no” so I ditched them.
    Well, I certainly think differently on that. I see more of a KC aping effect on Vemod (which I still like, quite a bit), but Nucleus has its own vibe, to my ears. The combination of aggression, with the super-crunchy bass and mellotrons and top notch writing, is far enough away from a direct KC vibe that it can still stand on its own. For example, I don't think there is anything on Red that sounds like This Far From the Sky, or Harvest. I would even go so far as to say that Nucleus is one of the top prog albums of the 90s. Obviously, your mileage varies. The alt-indie sound of From Within is not to my taste either, and I really only got back into them with the most recent album, Until All the Ghosts Are Gone, which was something of a return to form, I'd say.

neil

Wow! Just listened to the latest. Love it! I got off the boat early, after Nucleus. This goes comfortably beyond the Crimson influences of their early work. Beautiful mellotron, acoustic guitar, flute and cello underlying the solid rhythm section and guitaring. The singing is great, too. This is all somewhat of a surprise for me. I had consigned Anekdoten to the scrap heap of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I more or less agree. They were a must-see live act during their early days, but as a recording act they were not ready for prime time. I used to own Vemod and Nucleus but asked myself, “do these do anything that Red didn’t already do much better?” The answer was a resounding “no” so I ditched them.

I really don’t like that 90s “indie” sound at all (the reason I never could get into the likes of Landberk or Porcupine Tree), but I did feel the direction they went into with From Within and Gravity was the right move for them; it allowed them to find their own musical voice.

A Time of Day and UATGAG are, in my opinion, far and away their best albums, and highly recommended, especially the latter. The KC influence is still notable across all their releases, but they’re no longer just shallow copyists. They have acquired a dense, multi-layered sound that is uniquely their own, and I applaud their efforts.
    Isn't that like saying after In the Court is the only King Crimson album needed until Larks Tongue.
    ... and then only needing Discipline and Thrak, because the follow ups are not as good as the original albums of those eras?

To me, after Vemod, I don't really think they sound much like Crimson at all

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Isn't that like saying after In the Court is the only King Crimson album needed until Larks Tongue.
    ... and then only needing Discipline and Thrak, because the follow ups are not as good as the original albums of those eras?

To me, after Vemod, I don't really think they sound much like Crimson at all
    Well said. I think even on Vemod they do things KC never did. A song like The Wheel comes to mind, which is one of my favorites in their catalog, and definitely has a more unique voice on that record. But by Nucleus they were clearly branching out beyond being a KC clone, if ever they really were one (I'd say Bi Kyo Ran fall more in that category than Anekdoten). By the time of From Within they had largely established their own sound, which was still informed to some extent by KC and Prog Rock in general, but had a much more modern vibe.

I personally lost interest when they dropped the more angular and somewhat more complex aspects of their sound with Gravity. To me, they never got that back, even on this last one. But I like those first three a lot, and honestly over time have gotten the most mileage from Vemod. Yeah, its apple doesn't fall far from the KC tree, but there's some nifty stuff on that record, and I wouldn't be without it and more than I'd be without SaBB because I already own LTiA.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Wow! Just listened to the latest. Love it! I got off the boat early, after Nucleus. This goes comfortably beyond the Crimson influences of their early work. Beautiful mellotron, acoustic guitar, flute and cello underlying the solid rhythm section and guitaring. The singing is great, too. This is all somewhat of a surprise for me. I had consigned Anekdoten to the scrap heap of history.
    Yeah, the newest album is probably my fav along with Vemod.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    well something like that... If you include Lizard and Red, then I'm fine with that assertion.

To me, after Vemod, I don't really think they sound much like Crimson at all[/QUOTE]

It's Crimsonoïd, but it's not like you'd mistake them for KC (and Nucleus either)

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Well said. I think even on Vemod they do things KC never did. A song like The Wheel comes to mind, which is one of my favorites in their catalog, and definitely has a more unique voice on that record. But by Nucleus they were clearly branching out beyond being a KC clone, if ever they really were one (I'd say Bi Kyo Ran fall more in that category than Anekdoten). By the time of From Within they had largely established their own sound, which was still informed to some extent by KC and Prog Rock in general, but had a much more modern vibe.

I personally lost interest when they dropped the more angular and somewhat more complex aspects of their sound with Gravity. To me, they never got that back, even on this last one. But I like those first three a lot, and honestly over time have gotten the most mileage from Vemod. Yeah, its apple doesn't fall far from the KC tree, but there's some nifty stuff on that record, and I wouldn't be without it and more than I'd be without SaBB because I already own LTiA.

Bill
    this is almost exactly how I feel about them, except that their last one really "gets" to me

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yeah, the newest album is probably my fav along with Vemod.
    I'd add Nucleus (but not any day of the week) and the Live Bootleg, but yeah, if I fgot to keep only two, those will be them.

I think I have a special link to Vemod, like I do for Hybris, Riktigt Akta and Searching For A New Dawn(Tangle Edge)... I discovered them +/- within a few months and couldn't get enough of them...
    At the time, I was on major project and all I did was work 30/31 days a month and +/- 12hours/day, so all I had to keep me mentally sane were those new albums.
    I'd even go to bed with my headphones and fall asleep with those albums playing

Yep, the new one is my favorite too. 2015 was a banner year for my collection.

Nucleus is still my favorite - some great tunes on the others ones too... but that one still gets me all excited. KC comparison is warranted - but I would never ditch something because it sounded like another band - just dont get that mentality personally.