Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renaissance - Academy of Music Live '74 (2 CD) Release April 20

Renaissance - Academy of Music Live '74 (2 CD) Release April 20

Burning Shed:

Renaissance

Academy of Music 1974 (double cd pre-order)

A treasure from the Renaissance vaults, this double CD contains an extended live performance from the historic Academy Of Music hall in New York in 1974.

The performance covers most of the band's extraordinary fifth studio release Turn Of The Cards, in addition to highlights from Ashes Are Burning.

Pre-order for 20th April release.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

I have a boot of this that sounds ok. Is this release a board tape? Anyone know what the sound quality will be on this release?

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    The performance covers most of the band's extraordinary fifth studio release Turn Of The Cards, in addition to highlights from Ashes Are Burning.
    mmmhhh!!!... one album too late for me

Had this been covereing most of Ashes and a few things from Prologue, I'd find this much more interesting.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    mmmhhh!!!... one album too late for me

Had this been covereing most of Ashes and a few things from Prologue, I'd find this much more interesting.
    There is another one to console you:

A captivating live-in-the-studio release from ‘70s prog rock icons Renaissance performing to a small gathering of friends at the historic DeLane Lea Studios. Beguiling vocalist and ingenue Annie Haslam leads her group through nearly the entire fourth album Ashes Are Burning with special guest appearances by Wishbone Ash’s Andy Powell and folk singer Al Stewart!

1. Can You Understand
    2. Let It Grow
    3. Sounds Of The Sea
    4. Carpet Of The Sun
    5. At The Harbour
    6. Ashes Are Burning (with Andy Power and Al Stewart)
    7. Prologue

http://cleorecs.com/store/shop/renai...udios-1973-cd/

^^

much more up my alley, thanks...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Here's the setlist for Academy of Music (according to amazon.com):

DISC 1
    1. Can You Understand
    2. Black Flame
    3. Carpet Of The Sun
    4. Cold Is Being
    5. Things I Don t Understand
    6. Running Hard

DISC 2
    1. Ashes Are Burning
    2. Mother Russia
    3. Prologue

^^

Nottoo bad a track selection actually... (but you'd thing they'd have started with Prologue, instead of using it as an epi-prologue )

I might think about ordering both actually

This was Renaissance's first concert with an orchestra (24-piece, conducted by Walter Hagen), although it didn't play on every song like the Carnegie Hall the following year. And Andy Powell sits in on guitar on "Ashes Are Burning" which even has Howard Stein himself (the venue's owner) appearing on piano.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Really gothic-looking art
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I've had the DeLane Lea recording for about a month. Excellent recording. Strongly recommended. See my review on Amazon.com.

I have the Academy of Music Live '74 on pre-order. I'll give you my thoughts after I give it a critical listen.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

DeLane Lea Studios 1973 is a decent recording. I got the CD for nine bucks so I can't complain... I do skip "Sounds Of The Sea" though. As much as I love the music of Renaissance, Annie Haslam can be a bit much at times. Other times she's great. Just my opinion.

I'll be grabbing this title as well, of course!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

BTW: Al Stewart guests (backing vocals) on one of the DeLane Lea tracks.

The DeLane Lea Studios 1973 release is frigging FANTASTIC!!! As someone who is a bit tired of all the live releases from this band, I love this one. A very different, intimate recording of the band live in the early years.

Wasn't the Academy of Music '74 released already? I'd have to go check my dust-gathering physical disc racks

Edit: Never mind, it's 'Live' at the Academy of Music, Philadelphia that I was thinking of.

I have that "Philadelphia" recording. Meh... Not a good way to learn about or remember Renaissance.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    BTW: Al Stewart guests (backing vocals) on one of the DeLane Lea tracks.
    It's Ashes are Burning and there is also Andy Powell (Wishbone Ash) on guitar on that track..

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    The DeLane Lea Studios 1973 release is frigging FANTASTIC!!! As someone who is a bit tired of all the live releases from this band, I love this one. A very different, intimate recording of the band live in the early years.
    Yep this one is graet and sounds awesome...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Just what I need, more live Renaissance.
    For some reason, I heard this in Marvin the Paranoid Android's voice.

I think I was there. At the Academy of Music, in 1974. And from what I recall, there were technical hitches - the orchestra mostly couldn't be heard, and were out of tune when they could. I'm not sure whether the problem was a matter of them having to sight-read music they'd never rehearsed (usually well within the ability of orchestral or Broadway pit-band musicians), or bad monitoring whereby they couldn't hear one another or the band for a pitch reference. Either way, from what I understood Renaissance had planned on releasing the result as a live album, and had to temporarily scrap the idea.

This sort of thing seems to still be a problem, as may be heard on parts of Dream Theater's Score.

This was originally recorded to be released as their live album with orchestra back about a year before the Carnegie Hall show. They show had problems and was scrapped. The boot recording that's been around for years was recorded off the radio. I'd be interested in hearing how good the sound is on this release. If it's nothing more than the radio recording then it's not worth it.

Any reviews on the sound???

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I picked this up last week at Newbury Comics. I've only listened to Disc 1 so far, and yes, there are the typical sound issues in this FM-broadcast show. Someone is talking close to a mic. The guitar is low in the mix, as are sections of the orchestra. Electrical artifacts similar to the King Biscuit RAH show (buzzing, etc.) Still worth it to hear the band with orchestra in their prime with a sound more raw than the studio versions.

I have given it a couple of listens. "rickawakeman" is spot on. I would add that Camp's guitar is sometimes jarringly prominent. Rarely Annie's & Jon's vocals are wobbly. Every now & again an orchestra instrument makes sudden appearance, reminding you that there was an orchestra present.

But, Andy Powell's electric guitar is a delight. It adds just enough of a change in Renaissance's note-perfect live performance of studio recordings to make it well worth while.

4 out of 5 stars!