Thread: Favorite Live Version of "Awaken"

Favorite Live Version of "Awaken"

I *think* I have all the official ones listed here (RoIO's welcome too)

What's your favorite live version of "Awaken"?

Union Live
    Keys to Ascension
    House of Blues
    Live at Montreaux
    The New Director's Cut (2 versions, Birmingham 07/03/03 and Glastonbury 07/29/03)
    Live at the Bristol Hippodrome

I'm kind of partial to the Union Live version, actually, though I am none too keen on most of that project. I like Rabin's little additions on 2nd guitar. Very under-stated yet really adds something.

And I like the Glastonbury version a lot. The whole, atmospheric middle section probably shouldn't work as well at an outdoors show, but it sure does work here.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I've always loved the Wembley Arena '78 performance, perfect sound and because I was there, the version from the previous year is also special as it was the first time I saw Yes. I've got a show from Stuttgart from the Union tour that has a wonderful version on it, and I agree Rabin's guitar does add a nice extra touch.

That Montreux 2003 performance is something special IMHO, as some indication of where they were in that period. It's the band reclaiming (albeit all too briefly) what they were in the 70s with that line-up, focussed on giving an utterly committed performance. There's the wonderful moment, *before* the final reprise of the opening section, where the crowd erupts into applause, seemingly recognising what they have seen is something quite extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    That Montreux 2003 performance is something special IMHO, as some indication of where they were in that period. It's the band reclaiming (albeit all too briefly) what they were in the 70s with that line-up, focussed on giving an utterly committed performance. There's the wonderful moment, *before* the final reprise of the opening section, where the crowd erupts into applause, seemingly recognising what they have seen is something quite extraordinary.

Yeah, that moment when the crowd erupts is definitely cool!

My favorite version was the performance they did at Radio City Music Hall in 2002. I was there. Stunning performance. A year later, I saw one of Wakeman's solo shows, and when I mentioned I was at the Radio City show, he immediately indicated that was a great show. Now, he may have been just BSing me to make me feel good about traveling all the way to NYC for the Yesshow, but I'm inclined to believe he wasn't. It was a superb show all the way around, topped off with Rick doing his cadenza on the house pipe organ!

The Word is Live has a version from Chicago 1979 which is definitely a contender

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    The Word is Live has a version from Chicago 1979 which is definitely a contender

Oh, man, I just knew I must be missing one from the official list.

I'll go with the Montreaux version. I saw them play "Awaken" in the summer of 2002 and it was one of the concert highlights of my life.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Besides the original album version this is my favourite live version ... the addition of a real choir just is spinetingling:

My fave recorded version is the one from the '77 tour or '79. Back when they really remembered EVERY part of it like it was on the album.

Of later versions I would rank them in this order-

Live at Montreaux (Best on DVD available) OR
    The New Director's Cut (2 versions, Birmingham 07/03/03 and Glastonbury 07/29/03)
    House of Blues (Best version by a lineup other then the G4T1 guys)
    Keys to Ascension (Beautiful, thanks to overdubs later- but that's cheating)
    Union Live (Killed by 90s keyboard sounds and electric drums)
    Live at the Bristol Hippodrome (I know they needed it to do the whole album, but some tunes are extra Rick and Jon-centric and should be avoided without them in tow and this one is one of the biggies)

Extra points for the Eastern Numbers Awaken demo, that is pretty good too, despite the lack of keys.

My fave live version I experienced in person is from the 2002 tour. Fantastic!
    Last edited by Sean; 03-19-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Besides the original album version this is my favourite live version ... the addition of a real choir just is spinetingling:

Christian,
    Thank you so much for sharing that. That was truly incredible.

Wow that Todmobile video was awesome!! Jon sounded as good as ever, and the choir was great. Superb guitarist and keyboard player too! Thanks for that.

Did anyone else notice Rick Wakeman in the choir from around 4:50-5:05?

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Wow that Todmobile video was awesome!! Jon sounded as good as ever, and the choir was great. Superb guitarist and keyboard player too! Thanks for that.

Did anyone else notice Rick Wakeman in the choir from around 4:50-5:05?
    Holy freaking crap, what he said. Awesome!! Stunning. Better than any live recorded version of this song by Yes I've ever heard.

And yes, I saw "Rick Wakeman."

Bill

I've heard that version and it's very loud and powerful for sure but lacks a little feeling---love this song---I think the Keys version has an amazing orgasmic finale from Rick and Steve.

That Todmobile version is spectacular. Jon sounds angelic and I love that he played the harp part too.

I hope that in the future, these songs are still played live and that there will be people who appreciate it as much as we have.

Spine tingling? You bet.

Holy cow, I have goose bumps. That is the finest example of live prog rock with orchestra I've seen. All the elements are there; rock, orchestra, choir, blending perfectly; all participants enjoying themselves. Jon expressing joy at a job well done.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Pretty damned good that version. The only bit that lost me was that organ section after the "Farewell, farewell" bit where the keyboardist kind of made it up and really simplified the part. Thanks for posting.

My favorite version that I have seen personally was Universal Amphitheater in LA in 2003. It was the tour where Dream Theater opened. Truly magical. This after mediocre versions at House of Blues in 1999. The HoB crowd/vibe just wasn't made for that tune.

As for recorded/taped versions, I really like the Pensacola version on the Union Tour and Glasgow 1977 though the very end gets chopped off that one.

I hadn't heard that before, thank you for posting it!!!

Absolutely. This version, so faithfully done, is just pure emotion. What a performance.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

My favorite (as well as Jon Anderson's favorite) is from the Forum LA show in May 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    My favorite (as well as Jon Anderson's favorite) is from the Forum LA show in May 1991.
    Is there a recording out there of that one?

House Of Blues maybe?