Thread: Saw Greg Allman Band Last Night

Saw Greg Allman Band Last Night

Saw the Greg Allman band last night at The State Theater here in Kalamazoo MI. Although I have been an Allman Brothers fan for years, I had never seen either them or Greg solo live before. After reading his autobiography a few years ago, seeing the life he has lead, I was kind of skeptical about whether he would still have the voice and the chops, so I debated about going to this one, but after seeking out the advice of some fine folks here a progressivears who had seen him recently I decided to take the plunge. I was very glad I did as Allman put on a great show and seemed to be in fine form all night. Along with Greg on Hammond B-3 and guitar, he also had a 7 piece band including a horn section. The keyboard player was particularly impressive and the guitarist was able to pull off a lot of tasty solos as well. Allman played a mix of solo material, Allman Brothers tunes and covers that gave the show a lot of variety. Some of the Allman tunes he did very different version of, especially “Whipping Post” which was kind of funked up and very different from the classic rock version we have all heard a million times. Opening act Amanda Shires was also good. Not really my cup of tea musically, and some of her in between song stories went on a little long, but she is obviously talented. Overall it was a great night of music. Allman is touring pretty much non-stop the rest of the spring and summer, so if he is coming to your area I would recommend checking him out. Here is the set list:

I’M NO ANGEL
    STATESBORO BLUES
    DON’T KEEP ME WONDERIN
    QUEEEN OF HEARTS
    THE SAME THING
    TROUBLE NO MORE
    HOT LANTA
    THESE DAYS
    I CAN’T BE SATISFIED
    DONE SOMEBODY WRONG
    SOULSHINE
    CRADLE OF CIVILIZATION
    YOU DON’T LOVE ME
    MELISSA
    MIDNIGHT RIDER
    LOVE IS LIKE KEROSENE
    WHIPPING POST

ENCORE:

SOUTHBOUND

Here is a pretty good clip someone took at the show:

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I would absolutely loved to have seen that show. Glad you had a good time. Gregg is probably my favourite vocalist in rock/blues.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Fantastic! Would love to have been there.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I think I saw him within the past couple years here in Baltimore. If I recall correctly he has some well known musicians in the band. I think he may of had Robbenn Ford on guitar.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I think I saw him within the past couple years here in Baltimore. If I recall correctly he has some well known musicians in the band. I think he may of had Robbenn Ford on guitar.
    The guitarist was the same guy he has had for about 6 years or so, Scott Sharard.

I've seen him various times over the decades, being an Allmaniac. Loved the Dan Toler years, RIP. Whipping Post is on Searching For Simplicity, a fine album. I really want to do both versions in my Allman Bros. tribute band. He does an Allman Bros. song on his solo albums.

Good to hear. I'm pretty sure that, if Greg thought he no longer had the chops, he'd be the first to shut himself down. But, it comes so easily for him, I can't see that happening any time soon.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Is he still not on speaking terms with Dickey B.?

I remember seeing the Allmans live in '91 and being blown away by how fresh and tight they sounded.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I don't think any of them are on speaking terms with Dickey B. Too much bad water has passed under that bridge.

Gregg's last solo album was a slow-burn delight. I'd love to see him live but it's a cold shot that he'd ever tour in my area.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I've seen him various times over the decades, being an Allmaniac. Loved the Dan Toler years, RIP. Whipping Post is on Searching For Simplicity, a fine album. I really want to do both versions in my Allman Bros. tribute band. He does an Allman Bros. song on his solo albums.
    What instrument to you play? Where does your band play?