Thread: R.I.P. Mike Porcaro of Toto

R.I.P. Mike Porcaro of Toto

From his brother Steve's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/steveporcar...01371883378890)

Our brother Mike passed away peacefully in his sleep at 12:04 AM last night at home surrounded by his family. Rest in peace, my brother.

He'll playing tight rhythms with his brother Jeff on the other side. Rest in peace indeed.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I bet the Porcaro Brothers band is wailing up there already (Hendrix & Duane Allman are sitting in, I've been told).

RIP Mike! Never saw a bass player hold his instrument higher than you did.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I saw him with Toto before he retired from touring; solid bass player! I had a friend who died from ALS, it's a nasty way to go. Your brain stays intact while your body gradually becomes a functionless shell. I'm glad he doesn't have to suffer anymore.

R.I.P. Mike.

I lost a brother-in-law (also a good friend) to ALS, and as Ernie says, it's nasty (that word doesn't even begin.....).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

ALS? Oh, that's a cruel one. RIP Mike and thanks for rattling my windows back in the day when my wife would play Rosana at high volume.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

A pretty great clip of Mike soloing with Toto in the Melodic Rock tribute: http://melodicrock.com/articles/news...icrock-tribute

Very very sad.

the bad news don't stop, do they? one of the grandest, indeed brotherly, rhythm sections now reunited in another place. love and respect, mikey.

after borther Jeff, it's brother Mike

RIP
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

As already said, what a horrible way to go. Very talented musician, and by all accounts, a pretty good guy, too.

R.I.P., Mike.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Mike P. was always a kind man when I was around. Fantastic musician and an even better human. I enjoyed shooting many of Toto's shows, which turned up one of my all-time favorite pics I have shot. From back in 2001, shot on film…

My grandfather died of ALS in '78. Indeed a terrible way to go.

RIP Mike.

RIP Mike Porcaro.

You see, that's how you do it. Not "Mike Porcaro has died."
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

to think that half of the people that recorded “isolation” are now gone… chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    to think that half of the people that recorded “isolation” are now gone… chilling.
    Hmm...hadn't thought of it that way.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally