Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Satisfying Portnoy Project Outside DT?

Most Satisfying Portnoy Project Outside DT?

SSIA really. I enjoy Portnoy's work inside Dream Theater but I've never delved much into his many albums outside that particular group. I hear a lot of praise of Transatlantic, but I thought I could crowdsource some good recommendations here. Thanks in advance for your help.

Transatlantic is definitely my favourite, with many of the Neal Morse solo albums not far behind. You're looking at much more of the symphonic prog style and none of the metal components of DT, but if that suits you I think you'll like them. Portnoy's best drumming is when he collaborates with Neal Morse IMO. Definitely check out any/all of the Transatlantic albums first, there's a lot of music to get into on those four albums.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The only one I did not like was Adrenaline Mob. The rest vary by your musical preferences. But, yes, Transatlantic and Neal Morse band are my highlights.

The Winery Dogs album was ok for me. I am a big Kotzen fan as well. However, seeing them live was amazing and deepened my appreciation of that album.

He has a new metal project in the works with Skolnick (Testament) and Ellefson (Megadeth). Hoping this includes a good, classic style, metal singer (not a fan of the growling and screaming). That or just a cool instrumental project.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The only one I did not like was Adrenaline Mob. The rest vary by your musical preferences. But, yes, Transatlantic and Neal Morse band are my highlights.

The Winery Dogs album was ok for me.
    Yeah, definitely was not a fan of Adrenaline Mob apart from the cover songs they did. Too much 'image', not enough originality. And Russell Allen needs to take that stupid hat off. Winery Dogs was a bit better... well done stuff but a bit more middle-of-the-road, at least to me. Nothing 'wowed' me enough to want to pull it off the shelf again. The one project of his that I never did check out was Portnoy Sheehan Macalpine Sherinian "Live In Tokyo", which I'm told is good. I got a little burned out on all these projects I think. Even DT doesn't hold much interest for me anymore apart from nostalgia listens. Transatlantic and Neal Morse are where it's at for me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If a mixture of progressive metal and electronica sounds interesting to you, the first OSI album would satisfy nicely. I prefer the later albums without Portnoy, but it's still really good. For just straight forward hard rock with chops, definitely give The Winery Dogs a whirl. Good luck with the other projects though(including DT)...not my thing.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I'm a big fan of Liquid Tension Experiment. Hard-edged instrumental fusion.

Is there a clear order of preference for the Transatlantic albums?

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    Most people probably choose Bridge Across Forever as the favourite, but you may get a lot of different answers. Personally I love all four of the albums.

The Portnoy/Morse collaborations are the best in progressive rock

I would agree with others regarding Portnoy’s collaborations with Neil Morse. They seem to have a chemistry that just works really well together. I like all 4 Transatlantic albums and the Neil Morse solo albums are all great too, although the religious content turns some people off. I would also agree that first OSI album is really good as are the Liquid Tension Experiment albums. I like the Flying Colors albums a lot too, although they are definitely on the pop / rock side of prog, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The latest Big Elf album has Portnoy on drums which are quite good as well. Picking a single favorite? Pretty much impossible for me…..

My first impulse was Liquid Tension Experiment. I was into that way before I heard any of his other work. LT 2 for me especially.
    But.
    Over time Transatlantic has replaced that. Not so much Portnoy but the whole thing. More hits than misses.

Now on the other end of the MP project spectrum...Winery Dogs.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Include me in the number of those who thinks MP's had way more hits than misses over the course of his career.

Most satisfying side-project is, for me, Transatlantic by a mile.

NP: Aphex Twin Syro

Mike Portnoy was in Dream Theater?

Why does Portnoy get so much post time here? I don't get it. There are so many other more deserving, more talented, working, drummers with less exposure!

Morgen Agren
    Simon Phillips
    Gavin Harrison
    Virgil Donati
    Toss Panos
    Gary Husband
    Marco Minnemann
    Zoltan Csorsz

...to name but a few!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    Why does Portnoy get so much post time here? I don't get it. There are so many other more deserving, more talented, working, drummers with less exposure!

...to name but a few!
    So start a thread about one of them.

The Winery Dogs - I thought the album was great and the live show was spectacular.

I'm not a DT fan, but ironically Portnoy is probably my favorite drummer and I've seen him live so many times in the past few years I lose count. All 3 of the main outlets (TA, FC, Neal) are equally satisfying. Winery Dogs is less satisfying to me on a drumming level, but I love that band, too!

I think MP is a very skilled drummer who doesn't always make the right decisions (both about fills, excess and bandmates). His drumming does seem to appeal to me more when the Nashville Church of Christ reins him in some.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Mike is one of my favorite musicians of all-time. Outside of DT (of which I own every studio album, as well as some live material) I also possess almost all Transatlantic material, Neal Morse solo records, and both Flying Colors releases. That being said, I don't own any Winery Dogs, Adrenaline Mob, or Portnoy, Sheehan, Macalpine, Sherinian. Personally, I like the first two TA discs (SMPTe and Bridge Across Forever) best. All four guys really shine on those. Neal's Testimony releases have some impressive playing on them as well. Just my two cents.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Morgen Agren
    Simon Phillips
    Gavin Harrison
    Virgil Donati
    Toss Panos
    Gary Husband
    Marco Minnemann
    Zoltan Csorsz

...to name but a few!
    All of these except for one is a European drummer as Mike is an American. Of all of these who among them have sponsored several less known prog bands to accompany them on a tour with a successful band playing to 15,000 + audience? Who of those you mentioned have sponsored a cruise that gave exposure to over 30 progressive rock bands who otherwise couldn't reach an audience? So more working? You are wrong there. Mike has played in 7 working bands in the last 10 years that have toured and have made multiple albums. He has also had several side projecst to tribute to some of his own personal heroes. He isn't the most technically brilliant drummer I have ever seen but I have rarely come across many that transcend as many sub genres of rock as he does and competently as well. I also having seen him in 5 different projects and he is the most entertaining drummer I have seen. So far talent and deserving that is totally in the ear of the beholder. Nothing is going to convince you otherwise but please realize this guy is pretty respected by a lot of people. To answer the thread question I like TA, Flying Colors, Neal Morse, LTE and then The Winery Dogs.

There's also a restless quality in his drum parts - like he's driven to keep embellishing and morphing - that reminds me of the scene in T2 where the Terminator falls into the hot liquid and you see all these different characters he killed and replicated. My choices in a drum part might not always be the ones he makes - but I'm in awe of how effortlessly and energetically he makes them. I think he's gained tastefulness since leaving DT, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    Bridge Across Forever and The Whirlwind!!!

Morgen Agren
    Simon Phillips
    Gavin Harrison
    Virgil Donati
    Toss Panos
    Gary Husband
    Marco Minnemann
    Zoltan Csorsz

...to name but a few!
    Because without lists this is all you have:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Flying Colors is by far my favorite of Portnoy's bands or projects. Transatlantic would be second, and as Progatron pointed out earlier, Bridge Across Forever would be my fave of theirs. I do like most of his work with Neal Morse (and The Neal Morse Band), too. Never ventured into any of his "non-prog" stuff like Adrenaline Mob or The Winery Dogs.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

While I do tend to tire of MP's drumming on various albums, I also think he really brings a unique energy to the live performances I've seen (with Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Dream Theater, and Liquid Tension Experiment) and is a very talented guy. I would't consider him the sort of thread that would lead me to explore various projects.

I'd have to say I prefer his work with Transatlantic or Flying Colors over anything else he's done, although after 4 TA albums you can probably predict which fill is coming next.

My favorite TA albums are the first and last ones. If you're just getting into TA (and really want to see what Mike brings to that band) I would recommend either the latest live DVD or the Whirlwind DVD as a good starting point.
    <sig out of order>