Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most Satisfying Portnoy Project Outside DT?

It's Liquid Tension Experiment by a long shot...

The Morse and Transatlantic stuff were good for a couple of spins then wound up not seeing my player again along with all the other progrock discs that these players were involved in...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    [ Hammer Of The Gods (Zeppelin).
    I have that DVD... I've been following LaRue for 30 years now since he's a Jersey guy and I used to see him at the court tavern playing in Stretch...

Haven't liked the Flying Colors stuff though...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    It's Liquid Tension Experiment by a long shot...

The Morse and Transatlantic stuff were good for a couple of spins then wound up not seeing my player again along with all the other progrock discs that these players were involved in...
    I like LTE II more than the first one by a wide margin, maybe because they got more serious about composing.

I had Transatlantic's BAF but it's just not my cup of tea.

Portnoy is a great rock drummer, but the barrage of bass drum notes fatigues me. I know he's more restrained in some projects than others, like with Transatlantic. Too bad the music didn't do much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Anything with Roine on it is instantly better (in my opinion.)
    100% agree. The magic of Transatlantic is the combination of the talents of Morse and Stolt. Portnoy brings just what the music needs -- and, as mentioned, these TA projects (and perhaps others) seem to get done thanks to his commitment to being the de facto project manager/traffic cop. I can take or leave Trewavas, but I do like what he adds to TA's sound.

Flying Colors or Transatlantic.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I like Portnoy with Transatlantic best, and I like his cover band projects, in particular Yellow Matter Custard, and Amazing Journey was cool.

His stuff with Morse is sometimes good, but more often makes Neal's music too heavy, and it gives me ear fatigue. Morse was a gazillion times better with Nick D'Virgillo. A more groove-oriented and tasteful drummer. He gave Neal's music a subtlety that is now long lost.

In general though, I like Mike. He's a funny guy and a good entertainer. I think he really cares about the fans and the music.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 03-18-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Morse was a gazillion time over better with Nick D'Virgillo. A more groove-oriented and tasteful drummer. He gave Neal's music a subtlety that is now long lost.

In general though, I like Mike. He's a funny guy and a good entertainer. I think he really cares about the fans and the music.
    I completely agree here. In a way, I think MP being the thread that leads you to these other bands is sort of following one of the least interesting threads that connects these projects. No disrespect to the MP fans intended, but I've often wondered how much more interesting some of these projects could be (to me) with someone more groove oriented like NDV behind the kit.
    <sig out of order>

Just to update, I ordered The Whirlwind and the first O.S.I. album to get me started. I'm slightly wary of Morse on the scant evidence of the only Spock's Beard I own, Snow, but I'll see how I do with TA. Just listening to the O.S.I. now (the presence of Steven Wilson hooked me in) and it sounds great.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Chad, you really can't get into Flying Colors? Is it the singer's hat?
    I only really enjoyed the first tune on the first album. The rest of it doesn't grab me for some reason. It's a shame because the personnel is great.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I only really enjoyed the first tune on the first album. The rest of it doesn't grab me for some reason. It's a shame because the personnel is great.
    I think the live DVD does the first album better than the actual CD. Rich Mauser mixed the second one which I find better. I also think the live DVD will surpass that quality as well when it comes out.

Mike Portnoy (despite the ridiculous haters) has proven himself many times over as a great player and writer.
    He is a massive fan of most styles of music and a force of nature in keeping Prog on the music radar..
    Of course his legendary status was cemented with his work with DT but his other projects rank up right with them..

1- Transatlantic
    1A- Neal Morse--Neal Morse Band
    2-LTE
    3-Flying Colors
    4-OSI
    5-Cover Records
    6-Dogs-Mob

Huge fan of Transatlantic, Liquid Tension Experiment, Neal Morse, Flying Colors and OSI.

Like his cover projects and Winery Dogs (More a fan live).

Not into A-Mob at all but did see their first ever gig and they are a great live band for what they do.
    Never bothered with Avenged Sevenfold. Not my scene.