Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Franco Mussida has just left PFM

Franco Mussida left PFM. This time for good, or so it seems: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...arconi.421527/

I must say they didn't release anything really worth in 30 years, so no big deal. Glad I saw them live several times in the Mussida-Premoli-DiCioccio-Djivas line-up though. I think it's definitely time for PFM to stop.
    http://www.marcozanetti.it

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose
    solo quando si allontanano.
    (Baolian, libro dei pensieri Baol, I, vv. 1240-1242)

What is PFM today?
    How many original members?
    I lost them after Passpartu, but admit that Stati is quite good, but it doesnt sound much like PFM to me, more like... Mussida + , so perhaps you should just follow Mussida instead of the name PFM?

PFM now is Franz di Cioccio + Patrick Djivas.
    I guess Di Cioccio is the only founding member still in the band.

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

He was, IMO, by far the most important member of the remaining 3. PFM made some great albums since the mid-1990's reformation; their recent output is far better than any 1970's band I know of. Disc 1 of the recent "In Classic" is some of the best orchestral rock music I've ever heard.

With all these recent exits, maybe di Cioccio (dr/voc) and Djivas (bass) should team up with Vittoria Nocenzi (keys, Banco) and Rodolfo Mattese (guit, Banco) and Aldo Tagliapietra (bass/gtr/voc, Le Orme). That's a pretty solid 5-man lineup right there.

And worse...Elvis has just left the building

Those are his footprints. Right there!

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

I am posting in the sub thread?

Are there any that don't become virgins after kids?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Sorry but I no longer have any interest.
    I'm afraid that is my sentiment as well

PFM are perhaps my all-time favorite Symph style Prog band...

first, Premoli was a huge loss but I hung in there

now, without Mussida I must say

R.I.P. PFM

a sad day indeed
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    He was, IMO, by far the most important member of the remaining 3. PFM made some great albums since the mid-1990's reformation; their recent output is far better than any 1970's band I know of. Disc 1 of the recent "In Classic" is some of the best orchestral rock music I've ever heard.

With all these recent exits, maybe di Cioccio (dr/voc) and Djivas (bass) should team up with Vittoria Nocenzi (keys, Banco) and Rodolfo Mattese (guit, Banco) and Aldo Tagliapietra (bass/gtr/voc, Le Orme). That's a pretty solid 5-man lineup right there.

AGREED!

and a new band with those dudes would have major potential and be an AUTOBUY for me!
    but Patrick would relegate Aldo to Vox and rhythm Guitar... and composing of course
    and I could easily do without Franz's Vox, though he's a fantastic Drummer

Stati and In Classic are excellent, and they have continued to bring it in concert for the past decade at least...

but

the reality is that, no matter how painfully they try to go on at this point,
    they will just be a shell of themselves like
    Yes after GFTO
    or Genesis after TOTT
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 03-19-2015 at 03:21 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    It's a fascinating concept. But, I don't think that Maltese is too active any more. He looked unwell during Banco's Prog Exhibition performance a few years ago and I don't think that he has played with the group live very much in recent years, prior to Francesco's death.

^^

Also Banco are busy with their new Studio Album Orlando right now...

PFMs new guitarist

I've been enjoying a few spins of the live "Un Minuto" album. A pretty great gig of the entire album (of which I ADORE the original). Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I've been enjoying a few spins of the live "Un Minuto" album. A pretty great gig of the entire album (of which I ADORE the original). Great stuff.
    Yes, that is truly some great music right there. I kept meaning to pick this one up on vinyl. Maybe I still can.

Those original first three PFM albums are classics.

Hey! I forgot that was a thing. Just ordered and thanks for the reminder.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yes, that is truly some great music right there. I kept meaning to pick this one up on vinyl. Maybe I still can.

Those original first three PFM albums are classics.
    Yeah man, those albums are scary good. I still remember the first time I heard Per Un Amico...I just kept thinking "WTF?! WTF?!"...as in "How is this album THIS good?" Storia has come pretty close to that level in recent years and L'Isola isn't too shabby either. The writing on those albums is phenomenal imo. We'll be in Italy for 6 days in July and PFM will be cranked in the rental car
    Last edited by chalkpie; 05-20-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Hey! I forgot that was a thing. Just ordered and thanks for the reminder.
    Nice man, I think you'll dig it. It's a nice honest performance full of passion, and yet with enough subtle changes to make it very worthwhile.

Yeah man, those albums are scary good. I still remember the first time I heard Per Un Amico...I just kept thinking "WTF?! WTF?!"...as in "How is this album THIS good?" Storia has come pretty close to that level in recent years and L'Isola isn't too shabby either. The writing on those albums is phenomenal imo. We'll be in Italy for 6 days in July and PFM will be cranked in the rental car
    Yes! I know exactly what you mean, regarding Per Un Amico. At times it's beautiful beyond words, and for me it stands right alongside the likes of Selling England by the Pound and Close to the Edge, although a very different type of album still. It's still my favorite of theirs, but Storia and L'Isola come very close -- Storia has "Impressioni di Settembre", the first PFM song I ever heard, so it'll always have a special place in my heart.

PFM seems like a perfect choice for listening while in Italy. That sounds like it'll be a nice trip! Are you traveling there for business, or vacation? Or both?

Nice man, I think you'll dig it. It's a nice honest performance full of passion, and yet with enough subtle changes to make it very worthwhile.
    You guys "are" referring to the Un Minuto released in 2015 as part of the 5 CD box, correct?

They didn't have much staying power with me, haven't strayed from the originals since the few initial spins of that series and doubt I ever will

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yes! I know exactly what you mean, regarding Per Un Amico. At times it's beautiful beyond words, and for me it stands right alongside the likes of Selling England by the Pound and Close to the Edge, although a very different type of album still. It's still my favorite of theirs, but Storia and L'Isola come very close -- Storia has "Impressioni di Settembre", the first PFM song I ever heard, so it'll always have a special place in my heart.
    I remember the first time I heard those first 3 PFM albums as well. I wasn't introduced to Symphonic Rock from Italy until the 80s, but when I heard those PFM albums (all in one night at a party specifically for *listening* to music) I was stunned. They just completely obliterated all the English Symph I had heard for years. Crimso, ELP, Yes, Camel, Genesis, Tull... all paled in comparison. There was a new benchmark in Symphonic Rock that I had never known and even though I've been amassing all the obscure Symph I can find from all over the world since the 80s, still no one can come close to that PFM trilogy of albums.

One of my two musical dreams came true when I saw all the core PFM members (except Pagani) perform live playing a large amount of the first 3 albums.

I was into jazzrock, and one day I heard 'Four holes in the ground' from Cook, and was sold. This jazzfusion + Balkan is just me. I was a bit puzzled by the tracks Dove... Quando & Just Look Away, and have always skipped them.
    Then I bought 'The World', but found the sound dissappointing. So I bought Chocolate, but missed the solos and interplay from Cook, and wasnt happy with the singer - I way preferred Jet Lag - and then finally I bought the 3 first albums, which is something else (prefer them to most Genesis albums).

Today I like all the first albums including Passpartu, after that... meeeh - Stati is a fine album, but doesnt sound much like PFM.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 05-20-2017 at 03:29 PM.