Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not dead yet!!

I'm not dead yet!!

Forty years ago today, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" had it's world premier.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Special screening with 5 remaining Python's at Tribeca Film Festival -
    http://www.montypython.com/news_TFF2015/103
    http://tribecafilm.com/stories/tribe...5-monty-python
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Happy Birthday Pythons!
    Landmark film. My earliest memories of HBO, showing it constantly.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Suspended
    I was always astonished, and pleased, that the Americans seemed to "get" Monty Python. The humour seemed so different from typical American humour,

In honour of the occasion, I intend to fart in someone's general direction.

I remember going to see this in the theaters when it came out. There was probably some people who didn't get the humor though. Great film. I can't believe it's been 40 years though, doesn't seem possible.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I remember going to see this in the theaters when it came out. There was probably some people who didn't get the humor though. Great film. I can't believe it's been 40 years though, doesn't seem possible.
    Aye. Who'd have thought 40 years ago we'd be here sitting watching and discussing Monty Python?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My dad took me and my brothers to see Holy Grail on opening day - they were giving away coconuts to the first 100 entrants at the theater. But there was a HUGE line and he realized we'd never get in, so we went to see Blazing Saddles instead, and saw Holy Grail another day.

Another funny similar memory - One day my dad rented a car to take me and my brothers to the Bronx Zoo. He stopped at a gas station for some reason, and when we were going to leave the car wouldn't start. He called the rental agency, told them to pick it up, and instead took us to see Enter the Dragon.

My dad was pretty cool!

One to put our Monty Python fandom into perspective: the first summer after they started airing Python in the US, my brothers and I went to sleep-away camp. We were bummed we were going to miss eight weeks of Python, so my father wrote, typed, and laid out the Monty Python News, a fun summary of the week's show with descriptions of each skit, animation, etc. Also some notes about what was up at home. I still have them, and they're a great memento.

Also, he took us to see Monty Python Live at City Center in 1976 - they made the record from one of those shows. It was so exciting. My mother even took us to see And Now For Something Completely Different and Jabberwocky.

Where's PeterG to tell us he doesn't think Monty Python is funny?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I was always astonished, and pleased, that the Americans seemed to "get" Monty Python. The humour seemed so different from typical American humour,
    In my experience it is about 50/50. I remember watching the shows or Holy Grail with friends and half of us would be laughing our asses off and the other half would be blankly staring at the screen saying "is this supposed to be funny?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    My earliest memories of HBO, showing it constantly.
    Almost the same for me. I had HBO back then. This movie, "Oh, Lucky Man," "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" and some others were all played to death.

The reason I stated that it was "almost the same for me," is because I had HBO before it was HBO. It was called Channel 100. Home Box Office was the parent name, but that's what they used then. It started in the Scranton, PA area, about 100 miles from where I lived. Back then, you could pick it up on certain TVs. You would go to channel 7, turn the tuning dial until you got to another channel and then keep turning it until you can to a second. That was Channel 100.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    In my experience it is about 50/50. I remember watching the shows or Holy Grail with friends and half of us would be laughing our asses off and the other half would be blankly staring at the screen saying "is this supposed to be funny?"
    Definitely an acquired taste. Typically, with us, getting over the accents was more difficult.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Definitely an acquired taste. Typically, with us, getting over the accents was more difficult.
    I remember being unable to convince a guy I hung around with back then that Chapman wasn't saying "and of course the penguin" in the exploding penguin sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    No doubt. From my experience Python is totally polarizing. People either really love it or don’t get it at all. I know people who do not think Python is funny at all. I remember when it first came out, for those of us who “got it”; it was almost like prog in that we had found something special that the masses did not necessarily understand.

I happen to be reading Michael Pailin’s diaries from the Python years right now. Pretty interesting stuff.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Arguably the funniest movie ever made, IMO.

Fun facts:

The only movie that literally had me falling off the couch and rolling on the floor laughing and gasping for breath. (When the rabbit bit Bors head off - I really didn't see that coming.)

The only film of which I own the screenplay.

Watching it once, as a teen, at a friend's house: his dad just didn't get it. When I asked why he didn't like it, he replied, "That's stupid." He gestured toward the knights running around with their servant's banging coconut shells close behind. I was at a complete loss to respond. Clearly it was, and yet clearly it wasn't. That gap in experience is something I ponder to this day.

Throughout high school, loving this film became a de facto shibboleth, allowing me to determine those with whom I could be friends, and those whom I had very little in common.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Aye. Who'd have thought 40 years ago we'd be here sitting watching and discussing Monty Python?
    Back then, we were happy to have the price of a cup of tea.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

A cup o' cold tea.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ... it's ...

In honour of the occasion, I intend to fart in someone's general direction.
    I do that every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A cup o' cold tea.
    Without milk or sugar...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Cup!? We would dream about a cup.

We had to lick the cold tea off our dirty fingers before going off to the mill in the morning....
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

You tell young people that today and they won't believe you.
    <sig out of order>

I must be one of the older guys here who remembers Python when it was freshly released in the US '72-ish? I still pee myself when I see Ministry of silly walks.

Seems to me watching any news, its like the entire world today is like a Monty Python skit gone wrong. they would NEVER be considered funny today. Lunacy hits far too close to home.

It's just a flesh wound! I used to watch Python on channel 12 in Philly when they started showing them in the USA. Me and my friends would talk all day about last nights episode. My brother hated them, but when he saw Thee Holy Grail, he was cracking up just like me.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The only film of which I own the screenplay.
    http://sfy.ru/?script=mp_holygrail

A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I must be one of the older guys here who remembers Python when it was freshly released in the US '72-ish? I still pee myself when I see Ministry of silly walks.

According to Pailin's book a guy who owned a PBS station in Dallas Texas was the first to bring the show to the U.S. and show it on his station. Everything blew up from there, but if this guy had not taken a chance on the show, they may have never broken here.