Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not dead yet!!

My friends and I used to ride our bikes to the library and get the Python albums and listen to them religiously. That was really my introduction to Python, long before I ever saw them. When I was a teenager I would rent the VHS tapes of the Flying Circus episodes and memorize the skits, including the lesser-known ones. I recorded "Live At The Hollywood Bowl" and wore out that tape! The movies were secondary to me and still are, although I do love them too of course. But then, I was only two years old when Holy Grail was released... and I wasn't old enough to see "Meaning Of Life" when it was in theaters. But once I was about thirteen or so, I do remember rewinding the "Man who chooses the manner of his own execution" scene quite a lot.

To this day, I still recite stuff like "Dennis Moore", "Salad Days" and "Mr. Neutron" to a sea of blank stares.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Almost the same for me. I had HBO back then. This movie, "Oh, Lucky Man," "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" and some others were all played to death.

The reason I stated that it was "almost the same for me," is because I had HBO before it was HBO. It was called Channel 100. Home Box Office was the parent name, but that's what they used then. It started in the Scranton, PA area, about 100 miles from where I lived. Back then, you could pick it up on certain TVs. You would go to channel 7, turn the tuning dial until you got to another channel and then keep turning it until you can to a second. That was Channel 100.
    Ha! In Syracuse, we had to balance the selector between 2 and 17 and screw with the tuning. Lots of snow, but the audio was ok. Watch The Grail more times than I can remember like that.
    The only other movie I remember at the time (that was promoted to death) was Report To The Commissioner. Still never seen it to this day, but I remember Michael Moriarty was in it!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Ha! In Syracuse, we had to balance the selector between 2 and 17 and screw with the tuning. Lots of snow, but the audio was ok. Watch The Grail more times than I can remember like that.
    The only other movie I remember at the time (that was promoted to death) was Report To The Commissioner. Still never seen it to this day, but I remember Michael Moriarty was in it!
    Yes, I recall that was another one. It was a good movie.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My dad took me and my brothers to see Holy Grail on opening day - they were giving away coconuts to the first 100 entrants at the theater. But there was a HUGE line and he realized we'd never get in, so we went to see Blazing Saddles instead, and saw Holy Grail another day.

Another funny similar memory - One day my dad rented a car to take me and my brothers to the Bronx Zoo. He stopped at a gas station for some reason, and when we were going to leave the car wouldn't start. He called the rental agency, told them to pick it up, and instead took us to see Enter the Dragon.

My dad was pretty cool!

One to put our Monty Python fandom into perspective: the first summer after they started airing Python in the US, my brothers and I went to sleep-away camp. We were bummed we were going to miss eight weeks of Python, so my father wrote, typed, and laid out the Monty Python News, a fun summary of the week's show with descriptions of each skit, animation, etc. Also some notes about what was up at home. I still have them, and they're a great memento.

Also, he took us to see Monty Python Live at City Center in 1976 - they made the record from one of those shows. It was so exciting. My mother even took us to see And Now For Something Completely Different and Jabberwocky.

Where's PeterG to tell us he doesn't think Monty Python is funny?
    Holy crap dude, you had the coolest dad ever. My dad was cool- he bought me a Hammond organ when I was 16- but he didn't take notes on Python for me *lol*

Do you know, I've still never seen ...Holy Grail? I have it on VHS, taped it off TV like 25 years ago, an dI think I watched maybe the first 30 minutes, but never finished watching it.

I also liked Life Of Brian and The Meaning Of Life, though.

Dinner host: How do you explain us all dying at once?
    (long pause)
    Death: The salmon caserole!

"HOLY SHIT! IT'S MISTER CREOSOTE!!!!!!"

I finally saw it in a theater during a special showing of it(maybe for the thirtieth anniversary?Or possibly a year or two later I don't remember). After leaving the theater I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Not quite the gross out that the Meaning of Life was but actually probably better. MP is an acquired taste for sure. I'm wondering if anyone knows that Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin had a hand in helping to fund this movie. Apparently it took a while to produce because initially they didn't have enough money until those two iconic bands stepped in to help.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I can't even begin to tell you how many times me and my friends watched this movie high. So ridiculously silly! One of the most hilariously quotable movies ever and it still makes me laugh. Classic.

"Look at the booooonnnnneeeessss!"
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Not quite the gross out that the Meaning of Life was but actually probably better.
    By miles. The Meaning of Life definitely has its moments, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I can't even begin to tell you how many times me and my friends watched this movie high. So ridiculously silly! One of the most hilariously quotable movies ever and it still makes me laugh. Classic.

"Look at the booooonnnnneeeessss!"
    Here we go...

"Strange women lying in ponds is no basis for a system of government..."
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Saw the Holy Grail in a midnight showing when it was first released. A couple of Python members were there and were supposed to give a question and answer but just sat in the back giggling.

When I'd go to shows at Winterland during the mid-70's we'd line up in the morning. They'd let us in during the day and we'd grab our spots on the floor. One time, they played Monty Python episodes up on a screen to keep us occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I finally saw it in a theater during a special showing of it(maybe for the thirtieth anniversary?Or possibly a year or two later I don't remember). After leaving the theater I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Not quite the gross out that the Meaning of Life was but actually probably better. MP is an acquired taste for sure. I'm wondering if anyone knows that Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin had a hand in helping to fund this movie. Apparently it took a while to produce because initially they didn't have enough money until those two iconic bands stepped in to help.
    As mentioned before I am currently reading Pailin's book and yea they were quite friendly with the guys in both Floyd and Zeppelin. Not sure how much of a financial stake they had in things thought. George Harrison from The Beatles was a pretty big Python backer and even appears in a cameo in "The Life Of Brian".

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Without milk or sugar...
    or tea!

They turn ... Suddenly all the village fall to their knees, touching forelocks etc. ARTHUR and PATSY ride into SHOT, slightly nose to the air, they ride through without acknowledging anybody. After they pass, the LARGE MAN turns to the CART DRIVER.

LARGE MAN
    Who's that then?

CART DRIVER
    (Grudgingly) I dunno, Must be a king.

LARGE MAN
    Why?

CART DRIVER
    He hasn't got shit all over him.

I worked at a cassette duplication plant for quite a while. We had to audibly check the first and last tape of every run (the logic being if they were good everything in-between was as well) and otherwise we could use the system to play whatever we wanted. So one night PBS showed Holy Grail and itwas on a channel that I could record the audio from on my FM receiver. I made a cassette of the entire movie. Literally, music, sound effects, the entire 90 minutes, and I too it to work. And for whatever reason we just put it on a loop and played it for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. This went on for about 10 or 11 days until the duplication engineer, who basically worked in the other half of the same room, took the tape outside and set it on fire.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I worked at a cassette duplication plant for quite a while. We had to audibly check the first and last tape of every run (the logic being if they were good everything in-between was as well) and otherwise we could use the system to play whatever we wanted. So one night PBS showed Holy Grail and itwas on a channel that I could record the audio from on my FM receiver. I made a cassette of the entire movie. Literally, music, sound effects, the entire 90 minutes, and I too it to work. And for whatever reason we just put it on a loop and played it for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. This went on for about 10 or 11 days until the duplication engineer, who basically worked in the other half of the same room, took the tape outside and set it on fire.
    This reminds me of the MP sketch about the killing joke... I better not repeat it here....

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

"I clear my nose at you".
    The older I get, the better I was.

GIFs don't do it justice...

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Apparently no one in the movie actually says "yet." It's just the one guy saying "I'm not dead. I'm not dead." There is no yet there though. I just watched a clip on youtube to confirm this.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Cup!? We would dream about a cup.

We had to lick the cold tea off our dirty fingers before going off to the mill in the morning....
    Laborer. You filthy laborer.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I was lucky enough to see an advanced screening presented by Gilliam, Idle, Jones of a rough cut, months before it was released, at The Sherwood Oaks Experimental College in Hollywood.

This was a 6 week long seminar on comedy where a different comedian or group gave a talk, answered questions, performed a bit, etc for several hours. This had to be in the summer of 1974.

Among the artists that gave seminars were: Steve Martin (before his fame and grey hair. He didn't even appear on SNL yet), the Credibility Gap (comedy group with Harry Shearer, Michael McKean, David Lander), The Firesign Theater (not much to say about these brilliant guys), and Python.

Great memories for sure.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

"Look at the bones!".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Steve Martin (before his fame and grey hair. He didn't even appear on SNL yet)
    There was no SNL in 1974. BTW, Steve Martin co-won an Emmy writing for the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour in 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My dad was pretty cool!
    Wow your Dad was ice-cool, the sort of Dad we all should aspire to be.