Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are the rare cds?

What are the rare cds?

Edgar Froess - macula transfer
    Edwardo Bort - same

Okay - I do not know much about this subject.

I would think that instro electronic-keysprog type progs get rare fast - going by poorer distribution and how difficult it can be to get some of these even when just released.

Granted in this case and (actually) most cases, rarity does not necessarily equate to big bucks.

What of the earliest Laser's Disc releases? Any of those worth? (Spirit of Christmas was the first)

Oh yes - I'd like this topic to stay clear of digipacks and the Japanese stuff.( We know many of these are limited edition.)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have this:

Klaus Schulze - Thank You

(Bonus CD with early orders of The Contemporary Works box, limited to 333 copies)

How We Live - Dry Land

(Steve Hogarth pre-Marillion, signed by Hogarth. Rare on CD.)

Probably some other stuff.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I had posted several months ago that I found the first LE release (Spirit of Christmas) at my local used CD store. $8, as are most of their used discs.

Akira Inoue - Tokyo Installation (with Bill Bruford)
    Redfins - Get Off The Phone
    Mr. Motaba
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

A lot of stuff probably whittles down to stuff that was released/reissued in the 80s and hasn’t received another release since. Aún es tiempo de soñar by Banana comes to mind.

The oldest Laser’s Edge release I own is the Atlantis Philharmonic album, and I don’t believe that one’s been reissued since. Either that or Holocaust by Cotó-en-pèl, which I know hasn’t
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I have the Banana "....sonar" cd on Music Hall label.

And the Lasers Edge Atlantis Philharmonic.

Coto-en-pel I have on vinyl.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I own the Marillion 2 CD release of Rochester. It's autographed by the band and is extremely rare. I have other stuff too.

[Edwardo Bort - same]

It's Eduardo Bort and it's maybe not so rare anymore but if you want to hear a real stonker of a psychedelic folk symphonic mellotron brain blower you need to get it.

[What of the earliest Laser's Disc releases? Any of those worth? (Spirit of Christmas was the first) ]

I believe you mean Laser's Edge. Most of those are long out of print. Some of the earlier ones I remember seeing listed were Werewolf, Spirit of Christmas(like you said which I believe is still available somewhere), Coto En Pel(long out of print afaik),Atlantis Philharmonic(apparently back in print), Faithful Breath, and Nightwinds(also long oop). There were probably a few others but I don't remember the names of all of them off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-15-2015 at 10:32 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I own the Marillion 2 CD release of Rochester. It's autographed by the band and is extremely rare. I have other stuff too.
    Yeah, I have that too - extra rare because of the twice-printed CD "label."

Piston Broke is long OOP too, right?

I also have the Front Row Club "Curtain Call" boxed set.

I think Eddie Jobson/Zinc "The Green Album" is OOP and pretty rare isn't it? Peter Renfro's 7-disk ProgDay box is probably pretty stinkin' rare. I think I have two of those!

Will CD's ever have the intrinsic value of vinyl?
    I would think not...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I think Eddie Jobson/Zinc "The Green Album" is OOP and pretty rare isn't it? Peter Renfro's 7-disk ProgDay box is probably pretty stinkin' rare. I think I have two of those!
    The person who was smart enough to BUY the ProgDay box is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I believe you mean Laser's Edge. Most of those are long out of print. Some of the earlier ones I remember seeing listed were Werewolf, Spirit of Christmas(like you said which I believe is still available somewhere), Coto En Pel(long out of print afaik),Spektakel(pretty sure this was a LE release), Atlantis Philharmonic(apparently back in print), Faithful Breath, and Nightwinds(also long oop). There were probably a few others but I don't remember the names of all of them off the top of my head.
    The early releases (1990-93):

1001 = Spirit of Christmas: Lies to Live By
    1002 = Plastic Cloud: self-titled
    1003 = A Triggering Myth: self-titled
    1004 = Reign Ghost: Featuring Linda Squires
    1005 = Atlantis Philharmonic: self-titled
    1006 = Cotó-en-pèl: Holocaust
    1007 = Nightwinds: self-titled
    1008 = The Load: Praise the Load
    1009 = Christmas: Heritage
    1010 = Salamander: The Ten Commandments
    1011 = Faithful Breath: Fading Beauty
    1012 = Spring: self-titled
    1013 = Werwolf: Creation
    1014 = Landberk: Lonely Land
    1015 = Yatha Sidhra: A Meditation Mass
    1016 = Blue Motion: self-titled
    1017/18 = Schicke, Führs & Fröhling: The Collected Works of Schicke, Führs & Fröhling
    1019 = A Triggering Myth: Twice Bitten
    1020 = Manticore: Time to Fly

Of these, I have the Atlantis Philharmonic, Cotó-en-pèl, Spring, Yatha Sidhra, Blue Motion and SFF discs. I used to have one of the Load discs, can’t remember if it was the listed one or the later-released one, but I wasn’t impressed enough with it to keep it. The Spring has definitely been reissued a few times since but I think the later releases use the same mastering, definitely the same bonus tracks. The YS has been reissued, too, but I don’t know if they keep the cool die-cut booklet (replicating the original LP artwork in miniature) of the LE edition. The SFF albums have been reissued as single discs. Not sure if Salamander has ever been reissued again but some of the others, like Landberk (much sought-after) and Blue Motion (excellent, BTW), definitely haven’t.

Spektakel was a later (1996) release. I bought one of the first off the presses.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The person who was smart enough to BUY the ProgDay box is rare.
    It's easily the best prog comp I think I've personally ever heard...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I think Eddie Jobson/Zinc "The Green Album" is OOP and pretty rare isn't it?
    The One Way-version is, but there're three new versions released in Japan recently:
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-76580

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Will CD's ever have the intrinsic value of vinyl?
    I would think not...
    I agree. People don't have emotional connections with CDs like they do with vinyl.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    and Blue Motion (excellent, BTW), definitely haven’t.
    There is a reissue of that one on Belle Antique (Japan). This one is using the Laser's Edge master on SHM.

This used to sell for several hundred dollars, now you can find it for about $50. I got one before it was pulled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_Albuquerque_1976

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    I have the Banana "....sonar" cd on Music Hall label.

Coto-en-pel I have on vinyl.
    Keep the Banana; great album, had a very limited MH release (along with most of the early discog by Arco Iris) - and now only resurfaces as a terrible boot-CD.

If you've got the Coto-en-Pel on vinyl, that's a remarkably rare one (although not as extinct as the NHU album).

A bulk of rather rare CDs are the Belle Antique reissues of European 70s goodies - such as Dice etc.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The early releases (1990-93):

1001 = Spirit of Christmas: Lies to Live By
    1002 = Plastic Cloud: self-titled
    1003 = A Triggering Myth: self-titled
    1004 = Reign Ghost: Featuring Linda Squires
    1005 = Atlantis Philharmonic: self-titled
    1006 = Cotó-en-pèl: Holocaust
    1007 = Nightwinds: self-titled
    1008 = The Load: Praise the Load
    1009 = Christmas: Heritage
    1010 = Salamander: The Ten Commandments
    1011 = Faithful Breath: Fading Beauty
    1012 = Spring: self-titled
    1013 = Werwolf: Creation
    1014 = Landberk: Lonely Land
    1015 = Yatha Sidhra: A Meditation Mass
    1016 = Blue Motion: self-titled
    1017/18 = Schicke, Führs & Fröhling: The Collected Works of Schicke, Führs & Fröhling
    1019 = A Triggering Myth: Twice Bitten
    1020 = Manticore: Time to Fly
    I've got all except 02, 03, 04, 17/18, 19 & 20. The SFF did get a reissue as a set by a Scandinavian label. I have it. It used TLE mastering.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've got all except 02, 03, 04, 17/18, 19 & 20. The SFF did get a reissue as a set by a Scandinavian label. I have it. It used TLE mastering.
    Don't know about a scandinavian reissue but you can get the SFF Collected Works at Nordsee Records the lable of Heinz Fröhling (I think it only differs in the used cover))

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Don't know about a scandinavian reissue but you can get the SFF Collected Works at Nordsee Records the lable of Heinz Fröhling (I think it only differs in the used cover))
    Pretty sure that's it. (I didn't pull it out to check, so...)

Would you consider the "Turn on, Tune In,Drop Out" Baby Grandmothers live '67 cd that came with the Swedish Encyclopedia of Progressive Music book?
    Consider that rare?

(Was any of that material released elsewhere?)

[QUOTE=Scrotum S

If you've got the Coto-en-Pel on vinyl, that's a remarkably rare one (although not as extinct as the NHU album).

.[/QUOTE]

I have it '78 on Nevada label. foc and insert.