Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are the rare cds?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I sold 'Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape' for a princely sum years ago. I believe it would still be considered rare.
    I have a rare vinyl copy that is probably worth at least five hundred dollars. I could never bring myself to part with it though. Some things you just can't put a price tag on.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    The subsequent releases of Yatha Sidhra are not the same as our version. Bob Katz worked from the original analogue master tapes and created a unique version linking both sides of the album. Hence a continuous piece of music. The Spalax version is totally different.
    Which, I guess, makes it doubly good that that’s the version I have. It’s a really nice-sounding recording of a good album. Spalax did the Dreamworld album, too (later album by the Fichter brothers under a new name), but that’s not nearly as good an album (to say the least; for collectors and completists only).

Quote Originally Posted by ljubaspriest View Post
    Pangee - Hymnemonde. One recently sold on Ebay for US$ 85!
    Yes, Pangée was an indie release of a band that made one album and disappeared quickly; stuff like that is made for becoming collectible, especially if it’s in high-demand like this one is. I was lucky to get it while it was still in print.

I’ve noticed that some of the Muséa stuff that hasn’t been reissued fetches a pretty penny (the first Seven Reizh album, for example, which I’ve seen asking prices for over $100 on eBay).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Almost every cd I've ever had that has been "rare" at some point has been re-issued and lost most its value. Soft Machine, Little River Band, Sylvian and Fripp, those are the ones I remember. No matter. It is about the music.

Right now the only things I have that I think are really collectors items are the Magma and Kaipa boxes, selling for $480 and $300 respectively (though who knows if anyone has actually paid that!)

EDIT: And the Anglagard's of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I have a rare vinyl copy that is probably worth at least five hundred dollars. I could never bring myself to part with it though. Some things you just can't put a price tag on.
    I wasn't hard up for cash. Just not that big on PT anymore.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That probably applies to all the rare stuff in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    No. So is it 2 people?
    More than 2 but less than all.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I definitely have a lot of CDs that are now long out of print, but I'm not sure what the rarest ones are. One that I'm guessing nobody else here has is a CD called Transcental Medication by Frank Klare, an ambient/electronic German artist who was in a band called Synco. Very Klaus Schulze-like. Was on my want list for years until I discovered Discogs.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Jenny Sorrenti "Suspiro". I used to do $0.01 auctions on e-bay, and that one got bid up to $260 by a couple folks from Japan. I had no clue so it was a nice surprise.

The Ash Ra Tempel Private Tapes (6 CDs) are presumably still quite pricy and rare.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs
    Almost every cd I've ever had that has been "rare" at some point has been re-issued and lost most its value.
    Which is exactly the difference between CD and vinyl IMO. While there is and will always be market for 1st pressings of vinyl records, there is not much demand for OOP CDs once the title has been reissued. Unless, of course, it's a notoriously badly done reissue.

Most everything on the Kissing Spell and Audio Archives labels, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Which is exactly the difference between CD and vinyl IMO. While there is and will always be market for 1st pressings of vinyl records, there is not much demand for OOP CDs once the title has been reissued. Unless, of course, it's a notoriously badly done reissue.
    True! An example: a friend of mine has bought the Silver Birch CD reissue on Vinyl Tap for $70 some 10 years ago. I got last year's pressing for just $8. Most "grey area" issues are just repressed from the previous CD version in circulation.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^

Yep. Another example is Kornelyans' classic Not and Ordinary Life; the limited ed on Vinyl Magic in the early 90s sold out and STAYED oop until 2013 when it was reissued again. During the interim, prices had reached skyhigh - some 50$ for those VM original CDs - but then they dropped immediately in 2013.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

True that rarity is not necessarily determined by short/small pressing runs. Even so, perhaps we could have pressing numbers from members, Esoteric and Laser's Edge?
    One factor in play perhaps when comparing vinyl to cd rarity is the desirability factor - with vinyl you have certain presses FROM CERTAIN COUNTRIES being more desireable (for quality). Much less so with cds.

Another thing I'm wondering about regards rarity:

what of mad, absurd stuff that never should have been recorded in the first place.
    I am thinking of something like Zweistein (spelt wrong?) or Amon Dull I "Collapsing".

If a cd label takes the risk of pushing things like this which are not likely to sell much, does he press in smaller than regular amounts? Even if he/she presses at standard number, say they don't sell. - less go out to distribution. thus this constitutes a rarity; a rarity, in fact, of the basically.....Unwanted.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Another thing I'm wondering about regards rarity:

what of mad, absurd stuff that never should have been recorded in the first place.
    I am thinking of something like Zweistein (spelt wrong?) or Amon Dull I "Collapsing"..
    Both are already on CD. Zweinstein I think already sold-out (Captain Tripped pressed 500 3ple CDs -from what I remember, in original miniature replica covers). I was helping at a record store upon release and I imported 50 from Suzanne Doucet, which have all been sold within two months.

"Collapsing Singvögel Rückwärts & Co." has also been a relative success as it has been 4 times reissued on CD.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Howabout Amon Duul I "Disaster" 2lp set?

Can't get more extreme than that.

Don't tell me that sold well on cd.

( can't even imaging anyone putting it out on cd.)

Wizard Projects-Sorcery From The Marshlands
    Adrian Wagner-Distances Between Us
    Consequences-Godley & Crème
    Jeremy Spencer and the Children Of God
    Paragong
    Johannes Schmoelling- The Zoo Of Tranquility...(not the re-recorded version on the Erdenklang label, but the original version on cd)
    Free System Projekt-Impulse
    Patricia Dallio-Barbe Bleue
    Popol Vuh-Spirit Of Peace
    Ron Geesin-Right Through and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^

STAYED oop until 2013 when it was reissued again.
    American label called Private... this is legit?

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Paragong
    is that CD really a rarity fetching big bucks?

I'll sell mine
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Two CD issues:
    1995 Captain Trip (Japan)
    1996 Spalax (France)

Don't know anything concerning potential sales though...

Great album, by the way.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

I'll sell mine
    I've seen it offered for 50 euros at a record fair but it remained unsold. I can't think of many spending big money on a 20 minutes CD, but I guess that there exist Gong completists on eBay hunt for this one.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    OK sure, there will never be a demand for first gen 70's Genesis CD albums

But i'd be curious to know how much U2's Achtung Baby's first pressing would fetch... or FTM, all of Pearlm Jam's first pressing, which where always in cardboard and never in Jewel case (except for 10, I believe)

An ultra-rare vinyl reissued on CD (legit, of course) did lose some of its value, AFAIK
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

I'll sell mine
    I haven't looked for it in a few years, but years ago when I did find it the price was 80 dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    OK sure, there will never be a demand for first gen 70's Genesis CD albums
    You might be being sarcastic and already know this, but those gray-bordered Gabriel-era Genesis CD reissues from the 1980's usually go for about $10 each on ebay, which is a lot more than the 1990's CD editions sell for.

I used to have the Rocktopus vinyl reissue with the ugly “men in trenchcoats with bird-heads” cover. Quite possibly the worst “Krautrock” album ever.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...