Thread: 2112 Super Deluxe Version

2112 Super Deluxe Version

Any Reviews yet?????

Banned
    I saw this in FYE today and almost got it. Nice packaging.

No, but i'll ask the obvious question: If those three live tracks are previously unreleased, where's the rest of those shows??? One's from '80 and the other two are from '81, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put anything but the 2112 tracks on this release, but why hold onto (presumably) entire shows from that particular time?

I'm sorta tempted to buy this release. I'd like to read the comic.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Got it. I've been a huge fan of Rush since 1976, so that was an auto-buy.
    Very nice packaging and got a good price from Amazon.ca on pre-order for $49CAN.
    Comic's text/dialogue are the lyrics, all of them, for all the songs. Very high quality drawings and book.

The comic is included on the Blu-ray disc and it is synched to the music with the lyrics. In both 5.1 and 2.0 96/24 versions. Very Nice.
    So the CD/Blu-ray Deluxe version (without the book) also has the digital version of the comic.

The Bonus tracks are only included on the CD. They sound awesome. I would also like to get the rest of these shows.

Banned
    $49CAN? What is that in USD? I saw for $25 at FYE today, but I don't think it included a blu-ray disc, just a DVD. How many versions of this were released? This was sitting in the CD rack and sized as a CD but included two or three discs. i guess one was a DVD.

The Super Deluxe Edition is the CD/Blu-ray in large Hardbound book version with the printed comic book, pictures, lyrics and introduction.
    The Deluxe Edition is either a CD/DVD or CD/Blu-ray in a digipak CD size.
    And there is a CD only edition.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...-keywords=2112
    - Blackwaterpark

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwaterpark View Post
    The Super Deluxe Edition is the CD/Blu-ray in large Hardbound book version with the printed comic book, pictures, lyrics and introduction.
    The Deluxe Edition is either a CD/DVD or CD/Blu-ray in a digipak CD size.
    And there is a CD only edition.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...-keywords=2112
    ah ok, so it was the CD/DVD I saw for $25. That Hardbound book version seems to be the one to get! Looks awesome.

The Super Deluxe version with comic book is the worth (and the 5.1, of course). The Stereo Mix mastering is terrible, low dinamyc range (is the same of the Sector boxes, made by Andy VanDette), so forget it. The bonus are very meager, only 2 parts from the suite 2112 and Passage To Bangkok (inferior performance compared to Exit...Stage Left version)

Why not a double CD with bonus with performance like that:

I probably won't pick this up unless someone gifts it to me (though the 2112 comic strip looks like a trip!)

However, you know what the date 100 years from tomorrow will be?

21-12 - 2112
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

A friend of mine gave it 2 out of 5 stars. "A lost opportunity..."

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    I probably won't pick this up unless someone gifts it to me (though the 2112 comic strip looks like a trip!)
    I'll most likely pass pon this as well... the super-deluxe package doesn't look much like the original album.... I don't have (and not planning on) a Blue-ray system;;; and I'm rather not convinced by the comic book thing (from what I could see on the amazon link).... is it closely related or relevant to the whole album or just the title track??

Most likely I'll pass on the CD/DVD version as well....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I bought the regular deluxe version for around $25. Surround version sounds really nice to me even if it is pretty subtle just like Moving Pictures. Seems 2112 could have leant itself to a more aggressive approach, butch this is apparently what the band want. Certainly there are things audible in this mix that I don't recall hearing before, so it'll be my default version for this album.

Regular Deluxe? Is that like jumbo shrimp??

Wow! I think I'm going to have to get this now for sure, just for the St. Louis concert recordings. I taped that whole show off KSHE back in 1980, the cassette tape has been unplayable for years, this should be good!

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    $49CAN? What is that in USD?
    The Canadian and American dollars have been close to par for the last few years...on case you hadn't noticed....

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    $49CAN? What is that in USD?
    About 49 bucks.

Edit: Ahh damn, jkelman beat me to it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    About 49 bucks.

Edit: Ahh damn, jkelman beat me to it.
    gee sorry, knowing currency exchange rates by heart isn't something that is top priority.

Well, this was the thread that got me to register for the new site. Just got it yesterday and played it last night, I thought the 5.1 sounded really good, a previous thread indicated that they could of been a bit more aggressive and I agree but there are moments such as during the discovery, with the waterfall are in the rear speakers and the acoustic work on the front speakers that sounded so nice and well done. Also you hear bits of the layered acoustic guitar more pronounced on the rear speakers while the front handles the electric that I thought opened up the sound, not to mention how clear Geddy's voice sounds and on bits where the voice is layered it is separated out in the mix which allows you to hear his voice very clearly among the layers, good job at that point. The only criticism is that on few places I thought the higher notes on the guitar was a bit hot but I did have it cranked up way loud. The twilight zone I thought was the mixed the best in 5.1, a bit more aggressive then the 2112 suite and sounded damn good.

Now the most fun thing about it,I got the blu-ray edition is watching the matching comic strip that provides the complete lyrics in comic book form and additional story lines that you found originally in the gate-fold of the LP, that was allot fun to watch while listening to it. Now for Passage to Bankgok they kinda went pretty politically correct on the subject matter, other then a palm tree looking like a pot plant and the sign "Napal 420 k" it doesnt show overt marijuana reference in comic book form, the picture of the natives presenting their yield looks more like a piece of dung then a large chunk of hash, fun never-the-less.

If you are a big fan of the album, like comic books (get the blu-ray version), and have a good rig I recommended it, from all my 5.1 discs I have the accompanying storyline with lyrics in comic book form makes it a great edition to my collection, I literally started watching it and watched it all the way through before I got up to make myself another cocktail, I was enjoying it quite a bit.

Picked up the CD/DVD edition at Costco today while doing the post-Christmas replenishing. They didn't have the blu-ray edition but hell, it was 18 bucks, why not? Gonna turn up the 5.1 mix nice 'n loud tonight when my wife goes to work!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Regular Deluxe? Is that like jumbo shrimp??
    It's a myth that 'jumbo shrimp' is an oxymoron. Shrimp is the name of that creature, which can come in any size. 'Shrimp' as a slang term for being small came along much later. (I know, I know, nobody likes the spoilsport. )
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    I'll pick this up next - more FYE's are closing up in NJ so in January, when discounts get to 50%-60%, I'll load up on this a few other items I've been wanting. FYE surprisingly gets some decent prog. They always have all the recent Hackett releases.

Can almost guarantee some of these will show up used at FYE. These types of releases always do. I'll wait till I can snag one half-price at FYE like I did with the Floyd's discovery sets. Worth the wait to save half.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire