Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rest In Peace Daevid Allen

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wonderful

Very sorry to hear of this (yet another) tragic loss.

Whenever I think of Daevid Allen I smile. I'm smiling today, thankful that I saw him play & can carry on listening to his music. http://prog.teamrock.com/features/20...id-allen-r-i-p

RIP. As Classic Rock put it, a true original.

RIP Daevid. You'll be missed. Condolences to friends and family.

Well, I KNEW it was special at the time and on hearing this news, it makes my one-and-only concert of Gong (at NEARFest) even that more dear to me.

Will spin some GONG tonight.

RIP DA

The Guardian obit links to this fascinating video. It's Soft Machine Mk I at the UFO in 1967. The band are backing Daevid reading a poem, but they're performing on Pink Floyd's gear! And that's Joe Boyd heard at the beginning -- a real time capsule.

https://youtu.be/7byv6v_ku7w

(hmmm, the video function isn't working, but the link does...)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Wonderful
    I dunno, they just had to get a few shots against prog in there. Seems unnecessary and inappropriate.

Happy afterlife, Daevid!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I dunno, they just had to get a few shots against prog in there. Seems unnecessary and inappropriate.

Happy afterlife, Daevid!
    But they made up for it:

"His music is like Sun Ra meets Vivian Stanshall meets DIY punk meets a really big fucking bong."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I dunno, they just had to get a few shots against prog in there.
    I noticed that too. Especially this dig...

Some credit [Soft Machine] with starting prog rock, but that seems mean.
    I'm sorry, but Fuck You. I doubt Daevid would have been bothered being associated with prog. And of course the writer shows their true colors in the next paragraph...

In some respects, Allen invented punk rock. Too extravagant a claim? Do the maths. Without Soft Machine, there’d have been no Pink Floyd, at least the version that evolved after Syd Barrett left. And without Pink Floyd, nothing for the punks to kick against.
    Yet again Punk Uber Alles...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

daevid allen 13.1.1938 - 13.3.2015
    [posted Fri 13 Mar]
    daevid passed peacefully in Australia today, Friday 13th at 1.05pm, surrounded by his boys.

Everything has stopped here in a house of tears. Tears first, celebration later - Jonny x

^^ www.planetgong.co.uk

bereft at his leaving
    joyful pain is over
    overwhelmed with memories
    what adventures - what a life
    thank you daevid for sharing it
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

His final appearance, 2 weeks ago-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    But they made up for it:

"His music is like Sun Ra meets Vivian Stanshall meets DIY punk meets a really big fucking bong."
    Yes, that was quite good.

Though I loved Gong's classic albums of the 70's I would never consider myself a huge fan. I do remember seeing Gong on TV when they performed as part of the Bedrock series of concert programmes. I was extremely moved when during the performance Daevid Allen went into the audience and chanted "You are I and I am You" to each person who completely embraced the moment that Daevid brought to them. It was a truly magical, beautiful musical experience. Today, the news of his passing has left me feeling strangely sad all day. Maybe he had more of an impact in my life that I had first imagined.

"You can kill my body baby. But you can't kill me" - RIP Daevid.

Bob

I'm so delighted to have met the man in a bar round the corner from a gig in Seattle. He was so gracious and loving. He didn't want to talk about music, just world affairs and the hope for peace and love.

Was also gratified to see Gong at NEARFest and get my CD autographed by everybody. Again, a pleasure.

WHAAAA????

This thread is my first hearing of this; I haven't even read it yet. Probably not much I could add other than to say that at this point it's inevitable that a lot of our heroes in their 60s and 70s are not going to be around for much longer.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'm sorry, but Fuck You. I doubt Daevid would have been bothered being associated with prog. And of course the writer shows their true colors in the next paragraph... [...] Yet again Punk Uber Alles...
    You know; what struck ME when reading that was "Shit, now 'prog' readers will HAVE to comment on that one point - and for THAT reason". Daevid Allen was a free spirit, and his expressions on most things between art and literature and politics and ethics suggest a different perspective on individualism and creativity than what is usually associated with the 'popular' notion of this 'prog' - so yes, I can live just fine with the point being made. Even without agreeing with it. Because - in the context at hand, at least - it doesn't matter.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^But why did the guy even bring 'prog' into this at all? And didn't that Pink Floyd comment make you wince? It did me, pathetic point-scoring. Very tawdry stuff for an obituary IMHO.

Very sad day.
    I love music, it practically fills my life with joy, but there is only one artist that has actually changed me, made me a better person or at least showed me the path to get there-
    RIP Daevid, a man who knew how to live and also how to die, a man whose musical legacy and life story could fill several lifetimes of "regular" people,
    A man whose absurd philosophies are as serious and valid as any existing scripture,
    A man whose glissando guitar can send healing waves to even the hardest and coldest soul made of stone...
    The healer has passed away, Rest In Peace (Im sure you will).

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    And didn't that Pink Floyd comment make you wince?
    No. Daevid's death made me sad. That a Guardian obit proceeds to "offend" the "prog" is not important - not now.

What's admirably stated about Daevid outweighs the bad things stated about "prog" some hundredfold. So I can live with it. Easily.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

If memory serves, Daevid had a pretty funny rant during the 90s about prog rock, "frog rock" or something. And if memory also serves, UofErr did a prog dance contest at Schubas, that was very, very funny. But the most important thing I learned from Daevid was

"Take the most serious things in life the least serious and the least serious things the most seriously".

Jon Neudorf
    Man, this is tough. Daevid, you left us with so much beautiful music. May your cosmic journey be as fruitful as it was on Earth...

R.I.P.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
    "You can kill my body baby. But you can't kill me" - RIP Daevid.

Bob