Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anthony Phillips-"Why the Genesis reunion left me out!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    You could be right---his nose does seem up in the air---but he's usually more diplomatic than Tony when he speaks. It's not too far fetched to think if Mike and the M are his idea of good music than maybe he doesn't like Fountain of Salmacis anymore.
    I don't feel this is true, especially after reading his book. He DOES seem hard on himself at times for some of his contributions to the older music (and even on the music in general) but he has a right to have an opinion on the music he wrote and on the band he played in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I have some photos of Tony playing 12-string from the 76 and 77 tours...they are some of my most prized photos because it was a hard event to capture due to lighting challenges and other, more dynamic things happening on stage during those moments.
    there is at least one of them in the inner gatefold of Seconds Out
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

That is right! And one in the Gallo book too as i recall.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You always have great gems to share on PE. Totally interesting interview and a really informed interviewer.

I don't know if that Rutherford quote is true. He always answers "Suppers Ready" when asked what his favorite Genesis song is.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You always have great gems to share on PE. Totally interesting interview and a really informed interviewer.
    Yes, very informative, indeed. Thanks, Progatron!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    I don't know if that Rutherford quote is true. He always answers "Suppers Ready" when asked what his favorite Genesis song is.
    I would give no credence to it whatsoever. If he really said it, it was probably a British tongue-in-cheek comment that was taken out of context. Especially if 'Supper's Ready' is really his favorite Genesis track.

Absolutely, there are some interesting Ant replies in there (as well as the usual responses to the usual questions). But while I felt the interviewer meant well and seems to be a fan, he certainly missed some things...Ant's answer to the Satie question was completely missed by the interviewer...Gymnopedies was NOT an example of Satie having fun with titles. Rather, Dessicated Embryos; Teasing sketches of a fat man made of wood; Limp preludes (for a dog); Being jealous of his comrade, who has a big head (from the set Tiresome Peccadillos), and of course, Music in the Shape of a Pear are the titles that Ant referred to. But Ant, ever the gentleman, simply let it go by leaving it at Gymnopedies...

Thanks for the link, Progatron!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I would give no credence to it whatsoever. If he really said it, it was probably a British tongue-in-cheek comment that was taken out of context. Especially if 'Supper's Ready' is really his favorite Genesis track.
    ^ This.

Yep, great interview, despite the Satie miss-but I think the interviewer cared more about what applied more directly to Ant himself. Some things in there I'd never heard before, but I'm especially happy he'd like to do a more full scaled album, either with a top notch singer, or in the vein of 'Slow Dance'.