Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Yngwie Malmsteen : Marching Out

FEATURED CD - Yngwie Malmsteen : Marching Out

Pretty linear stuff, IMO, but love him or hate him, the guy masters his instrument. Per Allmusic :
    Malmsteen's playing on the follow-up to the epochal Rising Force is slightly more raw and aggressive, but the most notable difference is the addition of lyrics on many of the songs. By his own admission, Malmsteen isn't much of a lyricist, and his frequent use of occult and pagan imagery (demons, Vikings, and so on) isn't as effective at producing a dark, gothic mood as his compositions and guitar playing are. Still, those aspects of the album are vital and stimulating, making Marching Out a worthwhile listen.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/marching-out-mw0000650446

Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Pretty linear stuff, IMO, but love him or hate him, the guy masters his instrument. Per Allmusic :
    I don't know if I really agree with that... he mastered 3 or 4 basic scales and arpeggios and that's really about it. I think Alan Holdsworth probably plays as fast as Yngwie does, but he has a massively broader harmonic language... Although Alan can't sweep pick *lol*

It seems like Al Dimeola has mastered only a few scales too and seems to have a limited harmonic language. I'm no guitar expert but his playing seems rather limited in some respects even though he's talented. Back to Yngwie though, I don't really know his music that much but he has a reputation as being one of the people to start the whole neo classical thing and is very influential to say the least.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-12-2015 at 01:19 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

You know what though, I saw Al a couple years back when RTF reunited and he was born again hard. Completely different player. He blew me away with his feel. I don't know if he always had that side to him and I just never heard it, if he played differently live from those 70s recordings or he really re-evaluated his style at some point in the last couple decades...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    You know what though, I saw Al a couple years back when RTF reunited and he was born again hard. Completely different player. He blew me away with his feel. I don't know if he always had that side to him and I just never heard it, if he played differently live from those 70s recordings or he really re-evaluated his style at some point in the last couple decades...
    He still doesn't play very interesting solos. But he always had good tone, vibrato, and phrasing before it disintegrates into blazing triplets.

As for Yngwie, I have his first album on vinyl. Played it once or twice 30 years ago. Not really my cuppa.

Beyond horrible. Everything he's done is absolutely terrible.

Sorry, but truly bad music does exist - even though it may be "subjective" after all.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Compared to most modern neoclassical shredders, Yngwie sounds like he means every note. Unfortunately his ego doesn't seem to allow him to collaborate with someone who can write songs or to have someone else produce his records. His early stuff is not too bad, though.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    The "you've unleashed the f*cking fury" airplane incident is the greatest recording of Yngwie Malmsteen ever.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

It's been a long time since I've heard any of the Rising Force records. I have the live album, I think it was called Trial By Fire, the one he recorded in Russia, when he had Joe Lynn Turner in his band.

But I still maintain the best thing he ever did was that first Alcatrazz album. I never did hear the live disc they put out immediately after No Parole From Rock N Roll, but that studio disc is awesome. By far the best songwriting on any record that Yngwie ever played on. Well, that might not be true, I've never heard the Steeler record (Steeler being the band that Yngwie was in very briefly when he first came to the US, I believe it was one of the first things ever released on Shrapnel Records), so that could thoeretically be as good or better than Alcatrazz.

Oh, and as best as I recall, Yngwie doesn't sweep pick, either. It's all "up and down" alternate picking, just like DiMeola.

And since Al's name was mentioned earlier, I tend to feel there's more variety and feeling in Al's work than in Yngwie's. Yngwie always struck as me as a guy who heard Made In Japan and not only said "I can probably do that", but tried to do everything in his power to come off like Blackmore cranked up to 11, even to the point of playing Strats set up exactly like his (scalloped fingerboards, with the middle pickup lowered), and even working with two of the vocalists from Rainbow. Hell, on Trial By Fire, he even slips in a bit of Strange Kind Of Woman during one of the songs, I seem to recall when Yngwie later did a covers album, half of the songs on it were Rainbow and Deep Purple songs.

Al, by contrast, forged his own vibe, and not only is a fiery electric guitarist, but he's also done some cool acoustic stuff too. And tracks like Roller Jubilee and Sequencer demonstrates he's capable of playing much than just flashy guitar licks that almost go by too fast for you to realize what he's played. Al can be downright melodic when he wants to be.

HUGE metal fan here, probably only second on this forum to the Space Freak, but I can't stand YM/Rising Force...I have a couple of LPs, incl. this one. And rather than them being metal albums to be enjoyed as metal music as a whole, they simply come across as vehicles for YM's "liberace" guitar licks!
    Last edited by PeterG; 03-12-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    (Yngwie) has a reputation as being one of the people to start the whole neo classical thing
    Except that Blackmore, Roth, and Rhoads were all doing it before him.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    The "you've unleashed the f*cking fury" airplane incident is the greatest recording of Yngwie Malmsteen ever.
    You know what, I'll at least give Yngwie credit for having a sense of humor about that tape getting leaked to the public. He subsequently titled one of his albums Unleash The Fury, which at least demonstrates he takes himself at least slightly less seriously than Blackmore does.

I listened to this album (Marching Out) 25+ years ago and only 3-4 times (and I’m not familiar with 80%+ of his albums) and I remember it being less musically interesting (dare I say musically weaker) than his two other well-known albums released around the same time: first album (my favorite) called “Rising Force”, and “Trilogy”.
    IMO, the most interesting songs to check out from him from that early period are:
    Far Beyond the Sun, Black Star, Evil Eye, Icarus Dream Suite.
    These are all from that first album.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I don't know if I really agree with that... he mastered 3 or 4 basic scales and arpeggios and that's really about it. I think Alan Holdsworth probably plays as fast as Yngwie does, but he has a massively broader harmonic language... Although Alan can't sweep pick *lol*
    His fast playing tends to get overplayed by some and underplayed by some, but one thing I’ve never heard mentioned about Malmsteen is that he plays with flow with ease and knows where to put his finger anywhere on the fretboard to get the frequency he wants (and he plays with emotion but some might say the definition of emotion is relative so I won't get into that), even at high speeds, even if it is limited scales, and this is a solid indicator of mastery of an instrument. But unfortunately he’s been giving up some of that flow in his recent career during Live work (not much in the studio work, from what I listened).

IMO his best record is Odyssey - Glixman made him sound amazing, he had lost some ability after a motorcycle accident and had to relearn a lot - and came back more ragged and fiery. Again, just my opinion....

I love his first album "Rising Force". This one, "Marching Out" is a nice follow up but the lyrics are pretty juvenile... I suppose if I was still 15 they would be awesome. I do like a smattering of his other work too. He certainly has a reputation of sorts that turn people off, but it seems pretty fabricated to me. I saw Yngwie live back in the 90's at a small club in Schamburg IL. He played 3 songs from his new album at the time, then said, "Now it's time for some serious guitar!" Then he played non-stop for an hour and a half, blending all his best stuff merged into a giant jam, along with some impeccable Hendrix, and the usual lengthy guitar solo. It was pretty jaw dropping. And all the guys on stage were having a blast. Good times.

"Hair by Robert Richleigh." Usually stated on the back cover of Yngwies records. Why I find that funny I just don't know.
    Still alive and well...

Yngwie does one thing, but he does it better than anyone else in the world. People always talk about his speed, but they don't often mention his vibrato, or how he always is perfectly in tune wherever he's playing on the neck (not as easy to do as non-guitarists may think).

Personally, he's one of those guys who is "one and done" for me: that is, if you have the first album (Rising Force I don't think you really need any of the others. But that record is pretty kick-ass, and Malmsteen is incredibly influential in metal circles.

NP: Opeth Orchid

It's interesting that DiMeola's name came up so quickly in this thread, because I consider him and Yngwie to be birds of a feather even though they operate in different genres from each other. Both have technique to die for, but a limited musical vocabulary and an arrogance that I think comes through in the way they play. I haven't heard either's work over the past couple of decades, so for all I know, my opinion of them is no longer relevant.

One thing rarely if ever mentioned (and perhaps I'm alone in this opinion) is that Yngwie deserves some credit for the sound of today's prog metal. To me, there are plenty of moments in the music of bands like Dream Theater and Symphony X that sound like they could've come straight off a Malmsteen album. I know he had his own influences like Rainbow and Deep Purple and wasn't the sole inventor of that style, but he had his own spin on it and I think for better or worse, had a lot of influence on a genre that is talked about often over here.

Can't help but mention this story:
    Decades ago, there was a joint interview in one of those (now defunct) guitar mags with John McLaughlin and Yngwie Malmsteen. It had some title like "Two Shredders of a Different Kind" or some such thing. Both guitar players were not familiar with each other's work prior to the interview, so they were each turned on to the other's recorded work beforehand. At one point in the interview, Yngwie says, "Did I mention that I've never practiced a day in my life?" And McLaughlin said to the interviewer, "Isn't that what I told you when we were listening to his music last night?" That was the first time I became aware that McLaughlin had a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Yngwie does one thing, but he does it better than anyone else in the world. People always talk about his speed, but they don't often mention his vibrato
    You mean the one that's wide enough to drive a semi through? I always found that to be a bit annoying, though of course, ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    One thing rarely if ever mentioned (and perhaps I'm alone in this opinion) is that Yngwie deserves some credit for the sound of today's prog metal. To me, there are plenty of moments in the music of bands like Dream Theater and Symphony X that sound like they could've come straight off a Malmsteen album.
    I concur. Yet another reason why I can't stand the guy's music, I suppose.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Can't help but mention this story:
    Decades ago, there was a joint interview in one of those (now defunct) guitar mags with John McLaughlin and Yngwie Malmsteen. It had some title like "Two Shredders of a Different Kind" or some such thing. Both guitar players were not familiar with each other's work prior to the interview, so they were each turned on to the other's recorded work beforehand. At one point in the interview, Yngwie says, "Did I mention that I've never practiced a day in my life?" And McLaughlin said to the interviewer, "Isn't that what I told you when we were listening to his music last night?" That was the first time I became aware that McLaughlin had a sense of humor.
    He practiced his Richie Blackmore poses. He has those down pat.

I picked up Rising Force back when it was released, my mind was sufficiently blown (still enjoy the hell out of it). For my money he did it all on the first record, time to retire after that.
    Last edited by progholio; 03-12-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I concur. Yet another reason why I can't stand the guy's music, I suppose.
    Yep, I find it hard to appreciate his massive influence when I don't like his followers any more than I like him. When it comes to "progressive metal" i like the Voivod strain and can't tolerate DT variety.

plenty of moments in the music of bands like Dream Theater and Symphony X that sound like they could've come straight off a Malmsteen album.
    True. When I first heard Dream Theater in 93, the first thing that came to my head was that the guitarist sounds like a Malmsteen rip-off. Malmsteen had that sound back in the early 80's.