Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 153

Thread: Free Salamander Exhibit

  1. #126
    Member Morpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    95
    I think this was the last update on all things related to this family of bands from facebook

    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    April 30, 2020 ·
    Hello All who have an interest -passing or otherwise -in the goings on within our mostly closed museum.
    There has been new progress after many years. Save It from The Last Human Being is petty much finished. The rest of the songs are in various states of recording and mixing and I plan to keep chipping away at them. Before Covid 19 the band agreed in principal to a re-union tour for the summer of 2021 which would be a good time to release an album. Let's hope the momentum holds . No new news on the movie at this time.
    Idiot Flesh. There has been progress. The two remaining IF rock songs are mixed (Devolver) and about half mixed(Trampolines). there remains the decision about weather to start from scratch recording a final song (Armadillo box) or just call it good and release the five rock songs which are now nearing completion. Also the question of Label and format is still up in the air.
    Free Salamander Exhibit. About a year ago my mother's age and care requirements forced a band hiatus. At that time we were well on the way to writing the material for a second release and before Covid we were about to get back to work. As soon as things normalize we will get back to writing, recording and touring (and for sure the east coast is next on the touring list).
    Be well
    Little Danny Rathbun

  2. #127
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,684
    Why is (as far as I can tell) only the first SGM album on Bandcamp? Where can I find the others, and the releases by the related bands? I have the first SGM CD somewhere, but that's all I own I think.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  3. #128
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Why is (as far as I can tell) only the first SGM album on Bandcamp? Where can I find the others, and the releases by the related bands? I have the first SGM CD somewhere, but that's all I own I think.
    I'm pretty sure the three Idiot Flesh releases are out of print and probably fetching a pretty penny on the used market. All 3 SGM's and the FSE should be available through retailers and maybe even the band website or discogs.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  4. #129
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    All 3 SGM's and the FSE should be available through retailers and maybe even the band website or discogs.
    Wayside has 'em (the first and third being available as $5 blowouts).
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY incontrovertibly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

  5. #130
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I've just upgraded this to a 13 status in my Gnosis ratings. And since it's a little worse than Natural History, I gave Natural History a 14 so it's all settled.

    What an incredible album, from start to finish! It is the single most convincing proof that Heavy Metal can be art at the same time. This is not an art album that uses heavy metal parts, but rather an album that raises the heavy metal language to the point of high art.

    But I am so pissed at them for not having done a follow up for all these years, that I was thinking to rate all Nils projects with 1.
    I'm sorry I just couldn't resist. FSE, SGM and related are not Heavy Metal, nor Metal adjacent, other than being Rock. There is no heavy metal language in their music. They call themselves Rock Against Rock and most often classified by "Experts" as Experimental Rock or Avant Prog. Secondly it's insulting to an entire genre insinuate that all other heavy metal is not high art, nor does it qualify. Absolutely not the case. There are examples in every metal subgenre of "high art" which I can only assume your use is along these lines, "On a general level, high art was a term used to describe the most aesthetically pleasing and challenging (in terms of production) arts, while low art was used to describe what was not challenging, aesthetically pleasing." By that definition most metal is high art.

    Sorry had to rant.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  6. #131
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,690
    Man, new SGM and FSE albums makes me excited excited!

  7. #132
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I'm pretty sure the three Idiot Flesh releases are out of print and probably fetching a pretty penny on the used market. All 3 SGM's and the FSE should be available through retailers and maybe even the band website or discogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Wayside has 'em (the first and third being available as $5 blowouts).
    I’m looking for downloads actually, although I neglected to say so. I guess I’ve been assimilated by the Borg...
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  8. #133
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I'm sorry I just couldn't resist. FSE, SGM and related are not Heavy Metal, nor Metal adjacent, other than being Rock. There is no heavy metal language in their music. They call themselves Rock Against Rock and most often classified by "Experts" as Experimental Rock or Avant Prog. Secondly it's insulting to an entire genre insinuate that all other heavy metal is not high art, nor does it qualify. Absolutely not the case. There are examples in every metal subgenre of "high art" which I can only assume your use is along these lines, "On a general level, high art was a term used to describe the most aesthetically pleasing and challenging (in terms of production) arts, while low art was used to describe what was not challenging, aesthetically pleasing." By that definition most metal is high art.

    Sorry had to rant.
    I think at this point, I'll just bite my tongue. Unless someone has a bat available.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  9. #134
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,460
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I’m looking for downloads actually, although I neglected to say so. I guess I’ve been assimilated by the Borg...
    I figured you were, but then $5 is probably less than you'd pay for the download--you could rip it and give the disc away if you don't want to be encumbered by physical media.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY incontrovertibly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

  10. #135
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I think at this point, I'll just bite my tongue. Unless someone has a bat available.
    You mean like an Ozzy Osborne bat?
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  11. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I'm sorry I just couldn't resist. FSE, SGM and related are not Heavy Metal, nor Metal adjacent, other than being Rock. There is no heavy metal language in their music. They call themselves Rock Against Rock and most often classified by "Experts" as Experimental Rock or Avant Prog. Secondly it's insulting to an entire genre insinuate that all other heavy metal is not high art, nor does it qualify. Absolutely not the case. There are examples in every metal subgenre of "high art" which I can only assume your use is along these lines, "On a general level, high art was a term used to describe the most aesthetically pleasing and challenging (in terms of production) arts, while low art was used to describe what was not challenging, aesthetically pleasing." By that definition most metal is high art.

    Sorry had to rant.
    Yes, FSE is not Metal, I agree. But to deny that there are clear heavy metal elements in their music is a bit too much. What about the growls, or the heavily distorted guitar riffs? Isn't that part of the heavy metal vocabulary?
    What I was trying to convey is that they don't use these elements in a superficial way ("let's throw some metal in there"). They are true masters at playing this stuff, and it's an essential, core thing of their music. They excel at writing complex, guitar riffs and playing them with ultra-raw energy.

    As for the "high art" thing, it is subjective obviously. I am a fan of heavy metal music for 35 years now, and love much of it - but I don't think many metal bands had high artistic ambitions. It's still good old rock'n'roll in many ways. It is clear to me that FSE are on another level in terms of intentions, composing, arranging and playing than most of the heavy metal bands out there. I definitely wasn't trying to depreciate the genre, for which I have a special place in my heart.

  12. #137
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,690
    Labeling music is an imperfect artform imo.

  13. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I definitely wasn't trying to depreciate the genre, for which I have a special place in my heart.
    Spellbound-era Tygers of Pan Tang beat out Stryper to every which whim the latter might go for. And do you recall the first reaction to Venom, quite possibly the major transcendent post-modernist "mainstream" rock group to appear? It seems almost comical nowadays (and afterwards), but the phenom played right into logical reason as to Popper's conceptions of "tolerance towards the intolerable".

    Sorry, but I'd left 80s hard rock/metal aesthetic behind totally by the time of G'n'R attempting to revitalize cultural senses of accord during the late 80s. I absolutely LOVED it when SubPop issued grunge on the world by spring '91. It was the total death of commercialist metal gimmick reproduction markets, and the only thing that lacked was how it also should have fucked away the strands of ideologically extremist metal. Grunge died away very soon, of course.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  14. #139
    I love Tygers of Pan Tang, and even more the Wild Cat debut, which I picked up in excellent condition and very cheap on my Stockholm excursion some 2 years ago. And yes, I love Venom too. The thing is that metal in its beginnings still had strong ties with the 70's past, and was actually aware of what was going on in other musical areas. Pretty soon it either got Sell Out (the Def Leppard way) or Cliché (the Iron Maiden with Bruce Dickinson way) and it was all over for me. It stopped communicating with the world around.

    There were exceptions of course, but pretty much that's how I see it.

  15. #140
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,574
    Wild Cat is a great album.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  16. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I love Tygers of Pan Tang
    The debut Pan Tang has the immense "Suzie Smiled" on it and therefore deserves some respect no matter what. Bass was faded out almost completely on the whole record because Rocky Laws had put down most of his tracks while drunk or stoned and they apparently absolutely sucked.

    There was one - 1! - piece of music to sum up the entire NWOBHM racket for cultural keeping, and that was the following. Nothing anyone within that club ever did employed a) other/further chords or harmonics, or other aesthetic devices in terms of artistic grit. Steve Harris (Jahve bless 'im) kept on pumpin' his three-to-four gallopping tones whereas sweating imaginary masculine tropes of comic relief, while at the same time bragging about being a Tull and Krimson fan at heart. You can easily hear that aspiration in "Phantom", which remains a classic. Great guy for certain, but Maiden's music was cheap. And I used to love 'em back in the day.

    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  17. #142
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    1,655
    Iron Maiden are said to have been the band that Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer accompanied on tour to do research.

  18. #143
    Those Di Anno albums are truly great, and confirm what I mentioned about the early metal music being aware of what was currently going on around it. The bass in front was definitely in tune with the post-punk aesthetic and Di Anno's singing was very close to punk vocals. The whole thing is throbbing with bubbling testosterones, the way rock'n'roll is supposed to be.

  19. #144
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,966
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Congratulations for having the most entitled, childish, self absorbed comment on a thread.
    <sigh> He wasn't serious. SMH.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  20. #145
    Member Just Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marin County, California
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Yes, FSE is not Metal, I agree. But to deny that there are clear heavy metal elements in their music is a bit too much. What about the growls, or the heavily distorted guitar riffs? Isn't that part of the heavy metal vocabulary?
    What I was trying to convey is that they don't use these elements in a superficial way ("let's throw some metal in there"). They are true masters at playing this stuff, and it's an essential, core thing of their music. They excel at writing complex, guitar riffs and playing them with ultra-raw energy.

    As for the "high art" thing, it is subjective obviously. I am a fan of heavy metal music for 35 years now, and love much of it - but I don't think many metal bands had high artistic ambitions. It's still good old rock'n'roll in many ways. It is clear to me that FSE are on another level in terms of intentions, composing, arranging and playing than most of the heavy metal bands out there. I definitely wasn't trying to depreciate the genre, for which I have a special place in my heart.
    Makes sense... we just slightly disagree. My take on what you're saying is they are able to incorporate sounds and elements often found in metal and incorporate them in their compositions seamlessly and beautifully.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

  21. #146
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Twin Peaks
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    <sigh> He wasn't serious. SMH.
    My apologies, I thought it was serious. Post deleted.

  22. #147
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Twin Peaks
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I'm sorry I just couldn't resist. FSE, SGM and related are not Heavy Metal, nor Metal adjacent, other than being Rock. There is no heavy metal language in their music. They call themselves Rock Against Rock and most often classified by "Experts" as Experimental Rock or Avant Prog. Secondly it's insulting to an entire genre insinuate that all other heavy metal is not high art, nor does it qualify. Absolutely not the case. There are examples in every metal subgenre of "high art" which I can only assume your use is along these lines, "On a general level, high art was a term used to describe the most aesthetically pleasing and challenging (in terms of production) arts, while low art was used to describe what was not challenging, aesthetically pleasing." By that definition most metal is high art.

    Sorry had to rant.
    I would have to disagree. They do use elements of heavy metal a lot. If bot directly, then absolutely adjacent.
    Don't run from it, embrace it.
    FSE really have elements of metal!

  23. #148
    Member Lebofsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    85
    I don't know if this helps, or if it's just terrible and embarrassing, but speaking of metal and influences there was a time when Nils/Dan (and Gene also from Idiot Flesh) and bunch of other weirdos from the scene (myself included) put together a one-off AC/DC and Prince mashup show. Nils (who is always pigeonholed as a growly metal singer) is here doing a lot of the Prince vocals. This was in 1998, just before SGM was a thing. The video is just the music, sadly I don't think there was actual video taken of this historic event (where you could see me wearing the Dr. Fink costume).



    - Matt

  24. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    I don't know if this helps, or if it's just terrible and embarrassing, but speaking of metal and influences there was a time when Nils/Dan (and Gene also from Idiot Flesh) and bunch of other weirdos from the scene (myself included) put together a one-off AC/DC and Prince mashup show. Nils (who is always pigeonholed as a growly metal singer) is here doing a lot of the Prince vocals. This was in 1998, just before SGM was a thing. The video is just the music, sadly I don't think there was actual video taken of this historic event (where you could see me wearing the Dr. Fink costume).



    - Matt
    This is cool. Nils falsetto does the job.

  25. #150
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,460
    Data point: Free Salamander Exhibit is filed next to Stan Freberg in my CD collection.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY incontrovertibly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •