Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Free Salamander Exhibit

As of right now... I still find free salamander exhibit boring... To me

Lots of ways to see it.

Given this stuff isn't for everyone (or indeed even many) in the first place, there's still the additional aspect that some (like Czar here) may atually enjoy SGM but yet find FSE boring or perhaps be disappointed at the changes occured. As regards SGM, I always liked them - but I was more impressed than finding myself "taken" by the musical contents; the exquisitely crafted concept aura of their whole package (idea, composition, arrangement, performance, lyrics, even artwork), the professional execution and deliverance, the in-yr-face and over-the-top (sorry) level of ambition apparent - and still tongue in cheek.

FSE display far less of it; they're seemingly constructed deliberately as a "live entity" - to be presented in the raw and from a stage to whoever may be standing below. And there's at least some truth to Czar's assessment that the melodic contents are buried way deep into layers if at all existing. Perhaps they're aiming for a somewhat different audience - who knows? My guess is that they'll score even lower with "prog folks" this time around; not that this is necessarily bad for them or those who fancy. Rather other way around, so to speak.

Ah, but who cares. After all we're gonna perish soon, each and every one of us. Although I suppose our collective deathbed words will be "[...] but just what is prog?".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think why i am not impressed with it, is because to me, it doesn't really give me anything new or give me the catchy songwriting i desire.
    I'm more of a less-is-more person these days

It sounds like The Evil himself sings in that band. The singer looks really mean too, with a questionable dental hygiene. Scary!

But I like the music a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Lots of ways to see it.

Given this stuff isn't for everyone (or indeed even many) in the first place, there's still the additional aspect that some (like Czar here) may atually enjoy SGM but yet find FSE boring or perhaps be disappointed at the changes occured. As regards SGM, I always liked them - but I was more impressed than finding myself "taken" by the musical contents; the exquisitely crafted concept aura of their whole package (idea, composition, arrangement, performance, lyrics, even artwork), the professional execution and deliverance, the in-yr-face and over-the-top (sorry) level of ambition apparent - and still tongue in cheek.

FSE display far less of it; they're seemingly constructed deliberately as a "live entity" - to be presented in the raw and from a stage to whoever may be standing below. And there's at least some truth to Czar's assessment that the melodic contents are buried way deep into layers if at all existing. Perhaps they're aiming for a somewhat different audience - who knows? My guess is that they'll score even lower with "prog folks" this time around; not that this is necessarily bad for them or those who fancy. Rather other way around, so to speak.

Ah, but who cares. After all we're gonna perish soon, each and every one of us. Although I suppose our collective deathbed words will be "[...] but just what is prog?".
    Haha. Prog...just is.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but to me this is far more consistent, than their previous releases. Every song seems solid and listenable, whereas on past releases, as much as I loved some of the songs, there were always a couple of tracks that seemed a bit of a chore to get through. And perhaps this was one of the key reasons why many loved their them live so much - with their extremely captivating presence and presentation - but had difficulty listening to the recorded output.

I'm very glad that they follow their own muse, and make challenging music, that everyone is free to take, or leave.

neil

I was listening to the track Dan sings (fast vocal lines that follow the bass) and it made me wonder why they ever let him sing. That is a throwaway track to me... It kind of helps me not want it even more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I was listening to the track Dan sings (fast vocal lines that follow the bass) and it made me wonder why they ever let him sing. That is a throwaway track to me... It kind of helps me not want it even more.
    Ouch. I love Dan's quirky songs on each album!

Which track is that?

It's in the middle somewhere around the 25 minutes or 30 minute mark...Dan singing songs I have always hated

Time Master? I love that song!! It's practically Zappa-esque!

neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Listened to the album again today, its outstanding, I don't find it any more straight ahead than SGM, there's plenty of quirkiness there. I like all the vocals, they fit the music. Scrot - If you've seen the video of their stage show they're definitely sticking to the SGM pattern of having theatrical elements and playing 'in character'. I'm one very happy bunny, hopefully they'll tour it and come east.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Time Master? I love that song!! It's practically Zappa-esque!

neil
    That's probably why. I have tried to get into Frank Zappa five separate occasions, the last one I got 12 albums from the library and listened to every one of them and realized I can't get into Frank Zappa. It's the vocals and the lyrics they all sound like they're written by 12 year old who just figured out about penis and farting jokes

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You should try the purely instrumental albums, I pretty much avoid all his albums with vocals. Try Hot Rats, Grand Wazoo & Waka/Jawaka. They're all great.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It's funny, I'm not really a big Zappa fun, but I love the quirkiness of the Rathburn songs from SGM and now FSM.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You should try the purely instrumental albums, I pretty much avoid all his albums with vocals. Try Hot Rats, Grand Wazoo & Waka/Jawaka. They're all great.
    Indeed. Also Uncle Meat, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, and Weasels Ripped my Flesh, from a little earlier. Roxy and Elsewhere and One Size Fits All, from a bit later, contain some fantastic writing and not quite so many bad jokes. And Wazoo, from around the same period, is a double live CD, with shaky recording quality and some odd panning, but amazing material.

I can't get into Frank Zappa. It's the vocals and the lyrics they all sound like they're written by 12 year old who just figured out about penis and farting jokes
    As opposed to the deeply contemplative ones by Mötley?
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 01-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The guitar tones on Time Master at times are very '80s Crimsonesque. I think the song sounds a bit like '80s Crimson and Primus went on an absinthe bender in New Orleans listening to the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and birthed this creature. I think Dan's vocals are perfect for this song.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    The guitar tones on Time Master at times are very '80s Crimsonesque. I think the song sounds a bit like '80s Crimson and Primus went on an absinthe bender in New Orleans listening to the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and birthed this creature. I think Dan's vocals are perfect for this song.
    Perfect post.

neil

It's funny, I have a friend who only likes the vocal heavy Zappa albums. That's what draws her in. She has little time for the complex instrumental stuff.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    It's funny, I have a friend who only likes the vocal heavy Zappa albums. That's what draws her in. She has little time for the complex instrumental stuff.

neil
    I like both. I'm whatcha call an actual Frank Zappa fan.

Time Master rules and so does FSE.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I like both. I'm whatcha call an actual Frank Zappa fan.
    I Guess you could label me as one of those too. I actually like his guitar solos too AND his synclavier stuff. Even his orchestral music! WTF is wrong with us Ian?

Never was much of a Zappa fan and I can't believe SGM actually came to this town. As for FSE, well, I'll just move on. Thanks anyway.
    The older I get, the better I was.

A little bit late here:
    1st spin: "my cup of tea".
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    A little bit late here:
    1st spin: "my cup of tea".
    Thank goodness for me too, this is awful.

I really dig this album, but haven't given it enough time yet.